Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

congrats to gixxer6 and NAZO

Originally posted by hessogood
    Thanks for the advice. I was leaning that way, just needed to hear it. I think July will be my last AM weekend.
    good for you man!

i can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the expert class once you move up

(=

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everything Adam syas is true. However, if you read and believe, the rules say any championship winner is bumped automatically,
    Why not get a championship first then bump up?

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Originally posted by legalspeed
    Everything Adam syas is true. However, if you read and believe, the rules say any championship winner is bumped automatically,
    Why not get a championship first then bump up?
    There are at least two sandbaggers that I know of running flat 16's. I'll have to get below my best times consistantly and they'd have to miss a number of races in order for me to possibly win a championship. It's not likely but I may consider it if I man up and start putting my head down next weekend.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

The new class structure benefits sandbaggers and its disgusting.

Previously, AM was the newbie group, no championship, and limited contingency.

Then you got moved to JR, which was like being a 2nd tier expert with no respect, no contingency, etc.

Then EX was the goal to strive for.

Now, with NV being the newbies, championships for all, contingency for AMs, etc--there is no motivation for anyone to move up to EX other than being forced to.

Going from Penguin to EX in a single season used to be a regular thing, if not the norm. Now we got people cruising in each class for two years.

Wasn't breen running 13's last year as an AM?

The fastest I had ever seen a middle class guy go was 15s and that guy (Gagliardo) was smoking fast and quickly bumped to expert.

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

There are at least two sandbaggers that I know of running flat 16's. I'll have to get below my best times consistantly and they'd have to miss a number of races in order for me to possibly win a championship. It's not likely but I may consider it if I man up and start putting my head down next weekend.
    Dude, you're tied for first place in Heavyweight Superbike.

Dipshit.

(and you know I use the term dipshit affectionately).

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Originally posted by WebCrush
    Going from Penguin to EX in a single season used to be a regular thing, if not the norm.
    Thats kind of what I am doing ... although not going to expert anytime soon. I did just bump up to AM as soon as I was able to do so.

I took some advice from Paul in doing so, but also want to be surround by more experianced racers so that I can learn more quicker than I might in NV. There is no glory in NV, nor did I feel that it would benefit me in anyway to stay in novice until i was running at the front of the pack.

Some don't agree, but thats ok. I bumped up becuase I felt it was the best for me.

Lifer

Originally posted by legalspeed
    Dude, you're tied for first place in Heavyweight Superbike.

Dipshit.

(and you know I use the term dipshit affectionately).
    And that's with the fast guys missing a weekend! lol

I might be able to hold my own ok. I'll see how things are running next weekend.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Whats your best time ever and whats your typical consistant laptime?

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Lifer

My best time ever was a 19 flat the first race weekend and i was running pretty close to that consistantly. GMD setup my bike after that and the following race weekend I was in the rain on messed up tires...I could have run better times on DOT's looking back. The past weekend I was around 20's - 21's getting held up and just not putting in like I should have been. Plenty of available time, just don't know what was wrong with my head. I'll see what I can put down this weekend, there's no reason i shouldn't dip into 18's and consistantly run them.

Yep, sounds like yer in a funk.

I figure top AMs are gonna be in the 17s easily, if not faster.

Catch a tow of someone and don't let the carrot get away. If he can carry that much corner speed, so can you.

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Lifer

I know I can, I have the position and control, just not getting on the gas hard enough and long enough, especially now that I'm happy with the performance on my tires and i know the bike is setup to handle the forces much better. I'm definitly strong on the starts, I run a great first lap, I know where to put in to squeeze the times and I'm sure I'll be doing it.

I know I can, I have the position and control, just not getting on the gas hard enough and long enough
    Do you have the stock throttle or a short one?

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Lifer

Do you have the stock throttle or a short one?
    stock throttle on the 600RR. Pretty sure it's a 1/4 turn stock. HRC has a 1/5 turn throttle but i don't think that's my problem, just need to put in more and stop pussyfooting.

One issue I had last weekend that through me off was a nasty headshake coming into some of the corners, till I realized the new gloves i was using had a big pad on the bottom of the palm that was holding the gas on under braking. That was fun.

well, yeah, racing is all about the head game and sometime you can use tricks and tools to get around them.

i was a wuss on the throttle as well until I got a quick throttle which essentially forced me to be on the gas harder. Once I got used to the feel of it was I able to use a standard one again.

Another good trick is to turn up the idle to about 2.5k so that when you get off the gas, you're still kinda ON the gas some which will:

1--unload the front after braking
    2--start your drive before you realize it.

every lil bit helps, bro.

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Lifer

Thanks for the advice, the fast idle is up kinda high but maybe I'll give it a little more.

Amazing how much of a difference a little though in the back of your head ends up holding you back from your capabilities.

Another good trick is to turn up the idle to about 2.5k so that when you get off the gas, you're still kinda ON the gas some which will:

1--unload the front after braking
    2--start your drive before you realize it.

every lil bit helps, bro.

i have heard this before as well ... are there any disadvantages to this??

Another trick is to put in your time. I'm not sure where people get the idea that they will be able to go fast right away... If it were that easy, we'd all be making a living at it just for wanting it!!!

I agree with Adam that the class structure is all fucked now and that it's actually starting to hurt the EXPERT fields. Too many cherrypickers in AM. There should be NO championship there.

I was in favor of the change when it happened, but then the expert fields were huge and deep. Now they are quite thin...

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Originally posted by s a x m a n
    if it's too high you'll get the effects of my gloves holding the throttle. If the rear is pushing on the front kindof at an angle it can overload and push or wash it out. Also will depend if you're fighting the steering or gripping too tight, not allowing the front to steer into line with the rear. Which is the same concept on why you don't want to try adjusting you're line when you're getting on the gas out of a corner. i learned that last year the hard way, not even realizing I was doing it.

wears your brakes more? lil harder on the engine?

both are insignificant

of course, having a properly setup bike is indispensible. Suspension, suspension, suspension. AS MUCH as possible.

I've always had Peter at GMD setup my bikes and had his fork valve kits and a top line Penske.

Then last year I took the dive and got a set of 25mm fork cartridges--HOLY SHIT. WELL worth the money and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, at the time I got TWO sets, one for each bike.

Ya know those bumps going into turn 3? Well, with the 25mm kits they don't exist. I shit you not, things were like magic. They were nice and plush where they needed to be but firm and stable on the brakes.

I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to take their racing to the next 'level'.

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

I was in favor of the change when it happened, but then the expert fields were huge and deep. Now they are quite thin... [/B]
    Maybe they were for the LW classes, but the big bike grid were puny before hand too. It was exacerbated by guys jumping into the 600-1000 classes, moving up, and then realizing a podium was impossible with the 20 year expert vets taking all the $$ each time.

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Lifer

What would you propose? CCS has AM championships everywhere don't they? just like the other racing bodies? Looking at the fields the NV are the ones that are 50 bikes deep in the races and both AM and EX have 10-12 entries. I like WERA's provisional novice(AM) where you race in the AM's but you have to wear a shirt over your leathers so they can keep an eye on you. Also would be nice if the forced advancement was stricter and enforced more. What do you all think?

I'm not trying to walk onto the track and put down 13's. I'm doing the same thing that everyone else is that's on the track, improving my riding, racing, and abilities and trying to perform the best that I'm capable of realizing there is always room for constant improvement.

or gripping too tight
    holding on too tight (or at all) is a sure bad thing. I like to teach the 'chicken dance' technique.

If you can't do the chicken dance upon command when on the track, you're holding on too tight.

Those elbows should be floppy loose at all times, even under braking.

Try a Stomp grip on your tank, it'll help you learn to support your weight with your legs more.

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

my bike got the kates treatment this winter ... so any performance issue are directly related to the size of my sack

all this race talk ... i cant wait until the race weekend!!

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

my bike got the kates treatment this winter ... so any performance issue are directly related to the size of my sack
    Sorry we don't optimize that.......

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

What would you propose? CCS has AM championships everywhere don't they?
    Relatively new for them as well.

Part of the issue was that LRRS Jr's were required to run with the experts at other tracks. Well WHY shouldn't they? If the JR class was removed, they WOULD have been experts anyway.

Couple that with JRs not wanting to go to Daytona cuz they'd have to race EX there.

Really came down to a bunch of crying from those who wanted to cherry pick and LRRS giving in to make life 'easier' for them to do so.

I would suggest:

--going back to the AM/JR/EX designations
    --dumping contingency and championships for AMs
    --requiring EX status for a two digit number (this is an LRRS only rule)

Adam

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast