Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daytona Bike week 2009 / Honda 200 Race

Daytona Bike week 2009 / Honda 200 Race

So me and a couple friends are trailering back down to Daytona this year to enjoy the festivities and the Friday night Honda 200. Im hoping to get in for either practice and or qualifying as well. Who knows a lot about whats going on down at the track?

I want to know if there are any "ride the track" kind of charities to get out on the track. Also want to know where the best place to watch the race from is, I am hoping to get in the infield to watch from there but again Im not sure of where I should try to get to. Also is there anything I can do to get access to the paddocks etc?

Anyone know? Or anyone else going to be down there? Thanks!

-Lou

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

Re: Daytona Bike week 2009 / Honda 200 Race

<-- will be there.

Want to hang with a bunch of racers, come to the Ocean Deck (bar) after the 200.

Boston --> San Diego

I had seen that you were going to be down there and was hoping youd chime in about the race piece. Any thoughts on where to try to get tickets and if there are any track rides etc? Or even a direction I could get pointed in?

We would be down for hitting up the bar after the 200 it would be a lot of fun and judging from their site it looks like a cool place as well.

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

The way to get to access the paddock is by purchasing a "crew pass" I know during biketoberfest they were not too picky about letting just anyone buy them, sometimes during bikeweek it is a little more strict.

You would need to follow the signs to the building where they are issuing the credentials. (In the fall it was just outside the tunnel going under nascar turn one) Get in line with whoever else is there and fill in the application, get out a bunch of money and pay the nice retired lady at the window that does this for spending money. At this point she will give you a pass that you need to have with you at all times to get in and out of the garages/hot pit area. Sometimes there is a cutoff for the sale of credentials during the week but you would probably want to get it early in the week to take full advantage of the access it allows anyhow.

Maybe with the amount of cornerworking you do at Loudon you could contact someone from Loudon and see if they could help you out with a contact to help you at Daytona from the US Marshalls?

Cool places to watch from, the bleachers just inside turn 6 right after you come out of the turn one tunnel into the infield go left and get as high as you can get (allows view of bikes coming into turn 1, all the way through the two horseshoes, the dogleg and then up onto the west end banking), the bleachers on the south side of the international horseshoe, by the parking areas next to lake Lloyd, again as high as possible (allows a great view of the pit exit, the international horseshoe, limited view of turns 1 and 6 and if you're high enough you can get limited views of the back straight and chicane before the east end banking), sometimes it is fun to travel all the way down to the base of the east end banking to see just how fast and bumpy the track is there, it's cool seeing bikes go by at 180+ 30-40 ft above your head almost horizontal, last but not least the pits (great place to be during pit stops and the goings on after on track incidents etc.)

Hope this helps a little,

Joel

Last edited by tls25rs; 02-16-09 at 11:17 PM.

Joel that definitely does help and is something im going to look into. I actually was speaking with Laura earlier tonight just to see who else was heading down that way and she said shed put me in contact with someone down there in case they needed more corner workers for practice and qualifying. I think id actually like to enjoy watching the racing rather than working so we will see how that goes. I forget where I watched the races from a couple years ago. I know it was in the infield and around a sweeper before they went out on the straight. Couldnt see a ton from that level though. Any idea how much "credentials" run?

Thanks for all of the info, it will definitely help.

-Lou

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

If I recall correctly the credentials for biketoberfest were in the $100 range for the entire event. I may be off a little but plan on spending that at a minimum and you wont be surprised if it is that much.

Hopefully with DMG running the show this year there wont be a problem with this plan. Cross your fingers that they haven't closed the loopholes in their rules that allow spectators that know better to buy pit credentials. I wouldn't think they would make a big deal about it after all it is more money in their pockets in the end.

Have a great trip, take some good pics and be safe. I wish I was able to go this year. Who knows maybe I'll check out Southwest and see if I can get a deal to fly in for Friday to catch the race.

Joel

!! eek.

FYI Joel the October races you seem to be referring too are ASRA/CCS club races, the AMA races are a whole different ballgame. On that front, Daytona AMA is one of the most restricted paddocks out of the Season (along with Laguna). You can't expect to just waltz over to the Credential Building and toss some game and money at the AMA Officials and get a CREW pass, and honestly, thank god for that. No offense to anyone on here but the Hot Pits (pit lane, etc) aren't exactly a good place for spectators and hell, watching the races from Pit Wall isn't that great anyway.

All of the AMA Paddocks (besides Daytona) are VERY VERY accessible anyway with a easy to buy Paddock Pass (available same place you buy your ticket normally). Best bet is looking for that option.

Again, AMA CREW Passes are not that easy to get and with the new DMG management it's even harder (I was on phone with AMA/DMG yesterday regarding credentials). Maybe you'll get lucky but I doubt it. Shit I had trouble last year buying At The Track crew passes for myself and I was rolling with a Ducati Promotions Manager business card!

You should def not miss the AMA Flattrack races at Daytona either man. They are a BLAST!! Short-track racing and super exciting and wild.

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    FYI Joel the October races you seem to be referring too are ASRA/CCS club races, the AMA races are a whole different ballgame. On that front, Daytona AMA is one of the most restricted paddocks out of the Season (along with Laguna). You can't expect to just waltz over to the Credential Building and toss some game and money at the AMA Officials and get a CREW pass, and honestly, thank god for that. No offense to anyone on here but the Hot Pits (pit lane, etc) aren't exactly a good place for spectators and hell, watching the races from Pit Wall isn't that great anyway.
    Alex/Lou,

I am aware that the ASRA/CCS races are a different ballgame then the AMA races, however, I went to the AMA races at Bikeweek 6 years in a row and each year I followed exactly the process I described above to get hot pit credentials. The fact that DMG is now in charge will probably change this which is why I mentioned that to Lou in my previous post.

One thing I was taught, by seasoned racers, in my multiple trips to Daytona was, act as though you belong there and more than likely you wont be challenged in whatever you are trying to do. I don't know how far this will get anyone nowadays but in the past it worked wonders for getting to see some really cool things up close and personal. I was on the grid for multiple 200s as they blew the horn to clear it for the start of the race. I was right behind the pit wall when Russell got taken out at the start in the crash that caused him to retire. If Lou can make the credential thing work for him then he will probably have some similar memories to talk about later in life.

Hopefully the sun will shine on Lou in his quest for access to the excitement that can be Daytona and he'll get in there. Otherwise, even with just infield access which is easy to get he can still get to all the viewing points that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for reminding us that things are definitely different in the era of DMG so Lou is aware of it when he gets there and wont be disappointed if things don't work out.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Alex/Lou,

I am aware that the ASRA/CCS races are a different ballgame then the AMA races, however, I went to the AMA races at Bikeweek 6 years in a row and each year I followed exactly the process I described above to get hot pit credentials. The fact that DMG is now in charge will probably change this which is why I mentioned that to Lou in my previous post.

One thing I was taught, by seasoned racers, in my multiple trips to Daytona was, act as though you belong there and more than likely you wont be challenged in whatever you are trying to do. I don't know how far this will get anyone nowadays but in the past it worked wonders for getting to see some really cool things up close and personal. I was on the grid for multiple 200s as they blew the horn to clear it for the start of the race. I was right behind the pit wall when Russell got taken out at the start in the crash that caused him to retire. If Lou can make the credential thing work for him then he will probably have some similar memories to talk about later in life.

Hopefully the sun will shine on Lou in his quest for access to the excitement that can be Daytona and he'll get in there. Otherwise, even with just infield access which is easy to get he can still get to all the viewing points that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for reminding us that things are definitely different in the era of DMG so Lou is aware of it when he gets there and wont be disappointed if things don't work out.

Joel
    Ah I re-read your post 2x's to make sure I had the dates right, just seemed like you were talking about the Fall races (which obviously isn't AMA). My mistake homie! Again no offense to you or Lou (as I've pulled some schemes in my day and probably would have done the same in your shoes) but I really hope the new-AMA doesn't allow that shit to continue.

As I said, a normal Paddock Pass gets you a ton of cool access at a AMA round (excluding Daytona) and it's nothing like MotoGP where you can't even get CLOSE the riders/bikes/garages.

Seeya down there Lou!

Last edited by a13x; 02-17-09 at 05:03 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Again no offense to you or Lou (as I've pulled some schemes in my day and probably would have done the same in your shoes) but I really hope the new-AMA doesn't allow that shit to continue.

None taken man, there were times when I thought, man what am I doing out here, am I in the way? I should get the hell out of here and let these guys race. But at the same time they are some of the best memories I have of watching the racing at Daytona and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Hope you guys both have a great time down there, wish I was going!

Joel

I just want to get to wander the paddock, I dont need to get onto hot pit, its more just to get pictures, see the guys that are down there from LRRS and so. No worries it will be a good time either way, im pretty resourceful and pretty laid back so regardless, it will be warmer than it is up here, im on vaca from work and I've got my bike for a week!

A1 I will have to check out the flat track stuff. Its funny so planned trip expenses are like 400$ and I think $200 of that is just race admissions lol We are trailering down and I have a place to stay so its shorter money.

Thanks for all the help, A1 if you have any other tips on what to do to have more fun down there please feel free to PM or email me LouNeo@gmail.com and Joel thanks again for the help and well wishes, it will be a great time, I will have pics to share.

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

AMA Crew passes which give access to hot pit have become hard to get the last few years... Each entered racer was given a sheet with 5 or 6 names that could but put on it as their crew. Once the names were full,,, you were out of luck. In previous years (pre-06?).. if u were an AMA member, or bought a AMA membership at the track, you could buy a crew pass.. but that was not the case the last few years.

This year is 200.00 for a crew pass for the one event. They are trying to restrict ppl on the hot pit and wandering the grid pre-race.

THAT BEING SAID... i believe you can still buy a garage/paddock pass that will get you up to the fence behind the pits and allow you to wander the garage area to get autographs etc.

Daytona Short Track is a good time for sure..

AND there is a post on www.roadracingworld.com stating that they are offering track laps for the street guys for a fee.

Scott

Yea on what Scott said. I spoke with Becki Edmonson at the AMA Offices today and she said the DIS website offers a $45 pass to get you into the Garage area and paddock. That'd be worth checking out.

Also for post-racing fun. I forgot to mention the Ale House across the street from the track. I forget what night (might be after the flat track races) but EVERYONE from the motorcycle industry is there. MX, RR, Flattrack, etc. I remember sitting at a table last year with DuHamel, Schwantz, and Ben Spies! The whole place is full of racers, companey execs, and past champions. Walked outside and got stopped by Gary Nixon and Roberto Pietri (the original one). Crazy man... If a bomb took that place out the Industry would grind to a HALT the next day.

Boston --> San Diego

Scott,

Thanks for clearing up the relatively recent changes, by relatively recent I mean since I was there last.

Here is the link that goes directly to the laps around Daytona thing at roadracing world.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35611

Joel

Alex you got space in your suitcase to smuggle me down?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I was poking around the site as well they have a 265$ super ticket for the friday saturday events that gives you parking, admission, paddock passes, drinks, and I think food as well as tower and infield access that I might end up doing. I want to take a bunch of photos and video while im down there so run of the place will be nice. I also have the option of working some of the practice and qualifying sessions as well. Its going to be an amazing time. I will more than likely end up watching practice and or qualifying anyhow and the laps around the track will almost be a must

Thanks again for the night life tips, between the races, the bars, the strip and the hess station, my 10 days down there should be pretty much full of good times I might need to buy more mini dv tapes

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

Quote Originally Posted by Loun View Post
    I also have the option of working some of the practice and qualifying sessions as well.

Ha! You might see me doing laps on the back of the National Guard 2-up bike hanging on for dear life behind Jason Pridmore on Wed or Thursday then. That'd be awesome man, if you get to work some of the Practice's and stuff. Badass!

Boston --> San Diego

Ok so it looks like I will be in the area (6 hours away) but I will have a rental car and I wanna see the 200!!!

Where are you gonna be Lou. OK if I tag along if I can find you?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

im heading down to the morning!

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

DOc,

Im staying 15 mins or so from the track at some friends house. Turns out a bunch of people from Wyotech volunteered to flag so for now im just down there to have fun. I will end up being at the track almost all week though. I am going to grab infield passes for the race. Supposedly (i called the ticket desk) the $45 admission gets you paddock access, theres nothing extra you have to buy. With that said I will figure that out when im down at the track Monday or Tuesday. Do you have AIM or Yahoo messenger? if so hit me up and I will give you my cell and work out details if you want me to grab tickets for you. AIM - BLABSCOM YAHOO- OMYGOSHCOM

Would love to hang out and depending on what you are doing saturday, friday night after the races Alex said everyone hangs out pretty close by. Also camping at the track is free if you need a cheap place to stay... I can toss a tent up for ya so its there when you get there. Just lemme know

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

You have PM.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I am looking at getting one of these for friday only.

Classic cycle club.
    Package Includes: Frontstretch Tower Suite Access, Infield, Paddock, Sprint FanZone, & Garage Area Access, Food Service, Unlimited Soda and Water, 4 Beer or Wine Tickets per day ( 21 & older with valid ID) Closed Circuit Televisions w/ Event Coverage, Preferred Parking Area (first come, first park basis), Souvenir Event Program and Souvenir Gift.

Hours: From the time Grandstand Gates open to 1 hour after the race

Pricing:
    2 Days: $265
    Friday: $160
    Saturday: $155

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I called you so you have my number and a vm. also sent a pm.

The guy im going with doesnt way to pay for that pass. So we are getting just infield passes but the ticket reps said we would have paddock access with the entry fee. im down there all week so I can verify before then anyhow and tell you.

That $$ pass really just gives you food and suite access. Not bad things lol but not a necessity... hooters is across the street

Add me on LinkedIN

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)

Hey Doc,

Sweet! You'll be at the 200. Going to be a good time man. Won't be any National Guard Jordan Suzuki stuff around because we race on Thursday and the truck will be packed up right after the race. However I'll still be around Friday night for the 200 and good times afterwards. You know the number.

I'll be able to get you those autographed May posters too.

-alex

Boston --> San Diego

Just booked a Room at the La Quinta. 2 miles from the track and I think a mile from the Ale house.

I am driving there early tomorrow and will leave when they kick me outta my room Saturday to drive the 6 hours back to Ft. Walton Beach.

I have Lou and Alex's numbers. Anyone else wanna pm me their number so we can all get together for a beer? I am buying!

Oh yeah... any idea what gate I should go into? Where do I buy tickets? Should I just do that online? Thanks fellas.

Last edited by Doc; 03-05-09 at 01:41 PM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast