Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Daytona Race Report

Daytona Race Report

Friday 2/27/09
    We left the house at 530 AM and headed to Daytona. After a non eventful trip we pulled into Daytona International Speedway. After filling out endless paperwork, I registered for CCS LWSS, LWSB, LWGP, Thunderbike & ASRA Thunderbike. Off to the garage area. I meet up with Steve a guy from the WERA Forums who was looking for someone to take over his garage after Friday. After a little while I get everything unloaded. While getting ready to tech, I discovered I left my gloves at home. Oh joy. So off to Street & Comp to pick up some Alpinestar GPTech’s & Stomp Grip pads. I pull the lower and hand it to Scott along with my helmet and gloves and off to tech we go. I roll the bike up on the ramps and the tech inspector grabs a tech sticker and tells me where I can get the rest of my contingency stickers. He signs off on me and back to the garage. I put the lower back on, lube the chain, and swap to my Pirelli Supercorsa DOT (F-SC3/R-SC2) tires. We get the bike ready for the morning and head out. I’m pretty excited about my first expert weekend.

Saturday 2/28/09
    Left the hotel and picked up some fuel. And headed to the race track. Get out and do some morning prep (some of which we lacked in). Had a very brief riders meeting and got ready to go out.
    First practice is called and off I go. So off I go and immediately I notice I feel very rusty. Get onto the west banking and down through the chicane (my favorite part of the track). About half way through the East banking, my bike shuts off. WTF! I headed down pit road and I get it to start. I head back out. About half way through pit out it dies again. So after a relatively long push, The problem was all air, no fuel. Doh.

Second practice rolls around, and off I go. I feel real slow but started working out the kinks. Nothing to exciting here. I finish practice and pit back in. Time to mount my wheels with my Pirelli Superbike Slicks (F-SC3/R-SC2).

Race 1 (CCS Thunderbike) [Grid 5C] - Horrible excuse for a start. Worst start I think I’ve ever done without stalling. This was a omen, as the my quick shifter kept working intermittently and I had a 4 false neutrals. 2 in the chicane, 1 in the international horseshoe, and 1 in T5. After the false neutral in T5, I just pulled off course and took the infield roads back to the garage.

After calming down I headed over to the Factory Pro Dyno and got the bike dyno’d. I was quite pissed that the bike dyno’d at 59.9HP [68.88 DynoJet HP] and was down about 3 hp over last October. So back to the garage and pull the tank and the air box cover to check the air filter. The air filter turned out okay, but we pulled the snorkel off of the airbox. Which after race 5 was dyno’d at 60.3HP [69.34DJ HP]. So not much of a improvement.

Race 5 (CCS Lightweight GP) [Grid 3D] - Another dismal start, not nearly as bad. But it could have been a lot better. The quick shifter issue was extremely apparent and the bike just wouldn’t shift. I was quite aggravated and was ready to ghost ride the bike into a wall. I ended up completing one of my goals this weekend by not finishing last (11/12)

Race 8 (CCS Lightweight SB) [Grid 4B] - A relatively decent start. I was able to keep up with the field for the most part. I felt real good this race. I spent a lot of time pushing my self in areas where I know I need a lot of work. I was able to pick up my pace through the chicane A LOT. I was previously braking about half way between the 3 board and the 2 board. Now im on the gas till slightly before the 2 board and braking by the 2 board. I was also able to drop a down shift as I was carrying much more speed through the chicane as well. I also applied the same thing with my entry to T1 minus the dropped down shift. I think these are 2 areas that late breaking works real well. I’m not sure how I finished. I forgot to write it down.

ASRA Thunderbike Qualifying - After talking with Scott Greenwood a couple times through the day about ASRA procedures, I was ready to head out for qualifying. This was basically a 15 minute long practice session. You are not racing anyone and it feels more like a high paced track day atmosphere. So I spent the time working on some of my problem areas. I also pushed back my break markers for T1 & the chicane. I was now on the gas till after the 2 and hard on the breaks for the chicane while dropping 2 gears. This almost bit me hard. On my last lap I went in the fastest ive ever entered and got on the gas the fastest ive ever gotten on it. Crossed the yellow rumble strips on the right (exit side). Flip over for left, cross the rumble strips and holy tank slapper. I manage to keep it up without changing the color of my shorts. I finish my lap and take a nice cool down lap.

After that I got the bike back on the stands, and Scott & I changed my wheels and put my DOT’s back on. My slicks are now starting to be a little slidey going into T6 but respond pretty well still everywhere else. They do have quite a few laps on them now though so that is to be expected. More tomorrow

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by daviid; 02-28-09 at 08:21 PM.
    David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Re: Daytona Race Report

Nice write-up david. Did you get the quick-shifter problem solved?

Good luck tomorrow. you're bringing back memories of 2003 for me, LOL.

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

Last edited by Cerberus; 02-28-09 at 09:02 PM.
    Get out while you can

Find your own path

One of my fav pics, you taking the checkers:

Then here is the link to all of the pics of you I was able to snap.

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s...20Races/David/

I am uploading pics of Eric, Jeff and so on now. Check out the crash pics in the Daytona Album too not many crashes but its a pretty funny series, especially the last shot.

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Crash%20Pics/

-Lou

Last edited by Loun; 03-02-09 at 12:32 PM.
    Add me on LinkedIN
    Buying or selling a car? Free listings - FeaturedCars.com

Bikes:
    07 GSXR 750 (Street)
    88 YSR50 (Street Hilarity)

Sunday 3/1/09
    Woke up bright and early ready to go. After picking up gas we head into the track and plug in the warmers. today is not looking pretty. the weather is forcasting rain at about 12. with another front about a hour or 2 behind it. Which we are all reminded about during the riders meeting. So first practice rolls around and i head out. Im taking it pretty easy, no need to rush right now. I kept working on my entry to the chicane pushing it farther in. the international horse shoe and T6 are still my horrible weak spots. grandma can easily pass me there.

After practice I go out and find Brian (Puppet) working at the twisted throttle booth. It starts to rain slightly earlier then expected so i go back in. Eventually the rain lets go and the track dries up and practice resumes. I took it very easy in 2nd practice due to track conditions and came in when it started raining again

ASRA Thunderbike
    Talk about a washout, horrible start and 2 false neutrals going into the chicane. This is also definitely not a race for a stock motor. I wouldnt even recommend it. Although ill probably be dumb enough to do it again if i could. . Also i tried to run it on some abused DOT tires. They showed how well they were about 2 laps in when they started sliding everywhere. I was quite aggravated and would of normally pulled it in after the 2nd lap of sliding, but i was determined to at least finish this race. I believe i finished 9th out of 11th overall (Mechanicals for the last 2). This will probably the only time i can say i finished better then Dave Estock

Lightweight SuperSport
    due to the condition of my tires in asra thunderbike, i decided to skip lightweight supersport.

Ultra Light Superbike
    After thunderbike we put on my slicks again and hoped for 1 more race out of them. This turned out to be my best race. I had a awesome start, no nuetral issues, and my quickshifter worked everytime. i had a few passes into the chicane and into t1 and would get passed back in t3 or t6. so i felt we had a nice little race going. I also finished 6th out of 11th which is my best expert finish yet.

All in all, i had a fun weekend, which is what i wanted. it was aggravating at time. I need to spend more time on the international horseshoe and turn 6. those are my big bullies with t5 right behind them. I also recommend avoiding the open air garages. as when the wind blows the tarps suck ass.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Spring%202009/

Last edited by daviid; 03-03-09 at 08:15 AM.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Sweet job man, 6th aint nothing to shit on

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Bike Looks good, I wish I went with you. I would say its time to loose that quickshifter. more problems then its worth. Did you have to get a seperate ASRA licsense?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sweet job man, 6th aint nothing to shit on
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    Bike Looks good, I wish I went with you. I would say its time to loose that quickshifter. more problems then its worth. Did you have to get a seperate ASRA licsense?
    yeah im in the market for a NEW quickshifter. i think the guy i bought it from realized it was shitting on him and he ditched it.

ASRA license is a additional 50 dollars.

-Benjamin Franklin

w0rd up dude.

Boston --> San Diego

Be Squid, Be Proud bostongixxer's Avatar

Wow...what an experience. Great job!! Congrats!

2020 KTM SMC R
    2006 GSXR-600 Race (LRRS #199)
    NO LIMIT

nice work man! Great photo!

See you at VIR!