Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need Diesel Advise

Need Diesel Advise

Im looking at a Dodge Diesel with 107,000 on it. What goes wrong about then, What should i be worried about or not worried about? anyone shed some light?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Need Diesel Advise

That Cummins diesel will run forever and will pull a train. Noise can be kinda loud. We get them on the scale at work and hafta shut em off to talk to driver. What year? Where the filters changed regularly-air water-oil? 100k is not a lot at all for that motor if it was maintained well. Should see at least 300k with no prob. It is a straight six not a eight like the Ford or GM though. Is it a 2500 or 3500 duelly 4x4 or 2wd Depending on year watch for rust. My 2001 gas runs great but is rusting.

GSXR750 GS650 Street Tracker

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Have to be a little more specific about the make and model of the engine, Im a diesel lover. 107k is barly broken in . I have a the biggest turd of a diesel (6.5turbo) and my silverado just turned 210k and still runs strong. some problems like glow plugs and watch you water in fuel .. but if your kinda handy, can read a chiltons and willing to invest in a scanner/code reader , there's not awhole lot you wont' be able to fix in your driveway.. no emisions . and diesels are about 30 percent more effieciant by design when in proper application (not having 5:10 towing rearend in an everyday ride)
    my opinion is you cant go wrong , just make sure you buy it at the right price.. the rest of the truck will rust away before the motor dies..
    but the transmission might start to develope some issues around that age . trans dont seen to last nearly as long . due to alll that torque .
    so start a christmas fund and start saving for the rebuild and consider some heavyduty parts ..
    mine is tuff to start in the winter. unless I have the block heater pluged in when it dropes below about 45 degrees but I know that 1 piston is broken for the last 65K miles .

yes, a piston , and it still runs very good. but very very loud with cold starts in the winter.. like i said mine is a turd (6.5 is one of GM's worst diesel) but it has never let me stranded. and always done what I asked of it , and then some . all the newer desiels have the cold start and the noise issues pretty much taken care of.. hope this helps ..good luck

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Was it a private owner or a work truck? I/E beat to death by 20 different drivers on a daily basis? We run all Ford Powerjokes up too 200k but they get beat up-towing and super over loaded all the time. Gotta clean all the filters.

its a 2500 mega cab 6 speed, how do the clutches hold up. I looked online they are not that bad to put a new clutch in. i also have a buddy (AM #344 Andrew Hennessey) that is a top notch Machanic. i have a hemi version now but towing the race trailer is all it wants, it wont go over 75.

Mega-cab is fairly new right? If the price is good i don't think you could go wrong. That Cummins will pull your trailer no problem.btw how fast do you wanna go?lol If you're gonna add big tires, you will need to change gearing.

Got close to 200k On mine.

Replaced my clutch last year, took a weekend taking my time..

They are known to have there Injection Pumps crap out around 150k. Mine lasted to 180k. That will cost ya a couple grand to get fixed unless you do it yourself. Then it is only 1500 or so.

They front ends get beat fairly hard and will go thru parts. Has to be expected with the weight of a diesel up front.

Other than that, regular oil changes/fuel filters/Air filters will be your only maintenance on them.

I am often asked what I pull with my truck.... I reply anything I fucking want...

Throw a chip in it and get better milage...try and do that with a gas guzzler...

ya what they said...if the injectors are working fine and all else seems well then do it! Those things rule...but don't tow a trailer going 100

LRRS #399
    MX #505

ha ha well when i travel i want to get there i dont know about 100 but 90 isnt out of the qwestion. I may have a chance to get a warrenty locally at a dealership. is a injector pump somthing typically in a warrenty?

Last edited by lrrs428; 02-13-10 at 06:23 PM.

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Got close to 200k On mine.

Replaced my clutch last year, took a weekend taking my time..

They are known to have there Injection Pumps crap out around 150k. Mine lasted to 180k. That will cost ya a couple grand to get fixed unless you do it yourself. Then it is only 1500 or so.

They front ends get beat fairly hard and will go thru parts. Has to be expected with the weight of a diesel up front.

Other than that, regular oil changes/fuel filters/Air filters will be your only maintenance on them.

I am often asked what I pull with my truck.... I reply anything I fucking want...

Throw a chip in it and get better milage...try and do that with a gas guzzler...

This man speaks the truth ..
    front end def takes a beating = diesel verry heaavy
    and my 6.5TD (TurD) is the only engine that they(aftermarket people) don't make a chip for.

chips are very good !!

and that is so much the truth .....
    Tow anything I fuckin want..

as far as oil = I have had good luck with rotella-T full syn 5w40 diesel , makes it a little more quiet and easier start in the single digits temp

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Dodge sucks, get a Chevy or GMC!!!!!

Corey

if its the new body style then thats a bulletproof truck. the only issues the cummins is known for is sucky auto transmissions and fuel pumps that go bad fast, but if youre looking at a stick you're in good shape, the 6 speeds are great for towing and are very durable. also im pretty sure with the new common rail fuel system in the 3rd generation cummins they cleared up the fueling issues. you'll really like that truck. check out cumminsforum.com sometime, lotta info over there

Last edited by Omahastylin16; 02-13-10 at 01:40 PM.
    "Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

Not true in every vehicle I had a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L gas that got 11-12 mpg. I put a Westers programmer in it and i was getting 13-14mpg on a regular basis...even got 15.5 once on a trip to maine and back. It was a rocketship and would tow a house down the road

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Not true in every vehicle I had a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 8.1L gas that got 11-12 mpg. I put a Westers programmer in it and i was getting 13-14mpg on a regular basis...even got 15.5 once on a trip to maine and back. It was a rocketship and would tow a house down the road
    my old boss had the same truck same motor, it was amazing, but trying to get moving from a stop on a wet incline....yeah not so easy

first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post

dodge/cummins > gm

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post

dodge/cummins > gm

I miss my MegaCab with the Cummins. That thing would tow anything, most of the time didn't even know it was there.....

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Sorry, I was speaking of Diesel Engines. They WILL get better mileage AND give ya MORE power. Diesels are funny like that..

Gas...Meh...Not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Pfffttt What do you know...... Honda Sucks!!!!

Wait, wut?

Pfffttt What do you know...... Honda Sucks!!!!

Wait, wut?
    dont you ride a honda? haha

Corey

Shud up!

Sorry, I was speaking of Diesel Engines. They WILL get better mileage AND give ya MORE power. Diesels are funny like that..

Gas...Meh...Not so much...
    You compaired them to gas so that's what my reply was based on, and why I quoted you
    I should have been more specific in my reply....
    2004 8.1L gas, stock 340hp, 475 ftlbs of torque
    2004 8.1L with Westers tune (chip) 380hp with 550 ftlbs of torque.

So that 2mpg better, 40 more HP, and 75 ftlbs more of torque. The arguement is what again? Won't get into a turbo discussion on the gas motor to even things out

Yamaha

6.7 Cummins Stock 350 HP and 650 lb-ft
    6.7 Cummins Edge Comp 470 HP and 1000 lb-ft

i mean thats ideal situation, maximum power gains, definitely not real world numbers but fueling chips like the edge make a huge difference on diesel pickups. problem is you'll be leaving a cloud of smoke 100 feet behind you everytime you mash the pedal haha

so the 06 is not the newest body style they changed in 09 again. So i thought the 6 speed would be more dependable sounds like thats true. i guess my only concern is how often the injectors have a problem whether or not i can get a warrenty that covers them, and the front end what and how often parts go bad. you guys have been a great help so far

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs428 View Post
    so the 06 is not the newest body style they changed in 09 again. So i thought the 6 speed would be more dependable sounds like thats true. i guess my only concern is how often the injectors have a problem whether or not i can get a warrenty that covers them, and the front end what and how often parts go bad. you guys have been a great help so far
    the 2500/3500 were redesigned for this year 2010, so the 3rd generation are 2003-2009. 09 only had the 1500 updated to the 4th gen

LRRS #399
    MX #505

im not an expert on the 3rd generations but if they have injector issues its news to me. I do hear a lot of people say that the front ends require a lot of maintenence. I personally went through mine once in the 5 years ive owned it, so I wouldnt worry too much about it unless its going off road a lot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast