Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need Diesel Advise

Re: Need Diesel Advise

Injector problems were hit or miss on those. If it made it to 107k, either it was a motor that didn't have problems, or it did and it was fixed. And FYI, you can get a LOT more power out of the 5.9 Cummins than you can out of the 6.7 (no DPF to get in the way). Adam knows the quick and easy ways to get power out of that motor -- I had the same truck he's looking at but automatic trans. AEM Brute Force HD intake and Edge with Attitude chip/controller combo. Add a 5" turbo-back exhaust (I didn't have the chance to get that far) to keep the EGTs down and you're good to go with no reliability issues. And the big black cloud is half the fun.......

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

FWIW I haven't been impressed at all with the maintainence on my F350. I've got about 103,000 miles on it now and after the repairs I've done to it over the last couple of years (brakes, egr valve, wheel bearings, 4wd seals) I don't think I'd get another one. Most of my repairs have been Ford specific issues. I'll be due for injectors in the next 20k miles to the tune of another few thousand.

The power is pretty impressive though. I haven't found anything I can't pull, and 4low will move a house.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Injector problems were hit or miss on those. If it made it to 107k, either it was a motor that didn't have problems, or it did and it was fixed. And FYI, you can get a LOT more power out of the 5.9 Cummins than you can out of the 6.7 (no DPF to get in the way). Adam knows the quick and easy ways to get power out of that motor -- I had the same truck he's looking at but automatic trans. AEM Brute Force HD intake and Edge with Attitude chip/controller combo. Add a 5" turbo-back exhaust (I didn't have the chance to get that far) to keep the EGTs down and you're good to go with no reliability issues. And the big black cloud is half the fun.......
    yeah, see i dont know a think about the common rail 3rd gens. but the 2nd gens are real easy to make a ton of power, as long as your fuel pump and tranny can keep up

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

so it comes down to front end issues then. Im worried with the added weight of the diesel that at 107 miles it may be time for some parts to replaced, any suggestions on what to look for when i look at the truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Omahastylin16 View Post
    problem is you'll be leaving a cloud of smoke 100 feet behind you everytime you mash the pedal haha
    Hmm...I missed the part where that's a problem

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Looked up book value, according to NADA it books for $26,595 they are askign $25,995

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    FWIW I haven't been impressed at all with the maintainence on my F350. I've got about 103,000 miles on it now and after the repairs I've done to it over the last couple of years (brakes, egr valve, wheel bearings, 4wd seals) I don't think I'd get another one. Most of my repairs have been Ford specific issues. I'll be due for injectors in the next 20k miles to the tune of another few thousand.

The power is pretty impressive though. I haven't found anything I can't pull, and 4low will move a house.
    The Fords have been junk since they got rid of the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.4 was probably the WORST diesel to come out in years.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    The Fords have been junk since they got rid of the 7.3 powerstroke. The 6.4 was probably the WORST diesel to come out in years.
    Powerstroke = International, and International = the WORST big rig line in the truck market

Yamaha

the old fords with the 7.3 were a real nice all around truck, they made a real mistake moving away from that motor

first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Powerstroke = International, and International = the WORST big rig line in the truck market
    hmm don't know where you get your info because international is pretty damn good

Corey

always been more of a pete fan

always been more of a pete fan
    peterbuilt are nice to but international is no less of a truck

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    hmm don't know where you get your info because international is pretty damn good

Really? The International HT570 & Caterpillar C9 have been going down hill & been getting beat by the cummins LSL for some time now. Not sure where you get YOUR info.

But then again you like chevy and GMC for diesels...

Ever notice how Ford guys will put a Cummins in there rig but not really the other way around with the Dodge guys dumping a powerjoke in there's? Just sayin'

Last edited by FireboltEric_MA; 02-14-10 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Really? The International HT570 & Caterpillar C9 have been going down hill & been getting beat by the cummins LSL for some time now. Not sure where you get YOUR info.

But then again you like chevy and GMC for diesels...
    i'm a gm guy for any truck, although i wouldn't buy any of the newer diesels because they all have there problems, if i wanted diesel i would take a gm or jeep body pre 1996 and drop an old mercedes straight 5 turbo diesel in it, but thats just me~

Corey

i'm a gm guy for any truck, although i wouldn't buy any of the newer diesels because they all have there problems, if i wanted diesel i would take a gm or jeep body pre 1996 and drop an old mercedes straight 5 turbo diesel in it, but thats just me~
    i think theyve all always had some problems, bone stock my cummins had all kinds of issues, a few upgrades and now its pretty much bulletproof. and 20 mpg

i think theyve all always had some problems, bone stock my cummins had all kinds of issues, a few upgrades and now its pretty much bulletproof. and 20 mpg
    ya newer diesels have alot more problems than older ones though, the newer diesels are to far ahead of diesel technology, they have upgraded some stuff and not other parts of the engine

Corey

The problem with the newer ones is the emissions laws are hurting them and the (newer) diesel fuel that is used w/ low sulfur. Many of them use to rely on the oils in the diesel to lube parts.Not so much anymore.

All the bells and whistles the EPA makes them put on them motors more or less holds/chokes them back, which is the main cause of there problems.

Diesel technology really hasn't changed all that much over the years. They are VERY simple motors.

Dodge sucks, get a Chevy or GMC!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post

dodge/cummins > gm
    Umm, Corey, you couldn't pay me to drive diesel OR gas powered GM, but especially the diesel. Please tell me what is so great about the duramax-ipad? I would LOVE to know.

Cummins is by far the best diesel available in a pickup truck. I don't care what truck it was put it, I would buy it. I think you need to get over your GM brain washing and open your eyes a bit, there ARE other types of vehicles out there MUCH better than anything GM has to offer.

that's my .02.

Ajay
    My Facebook-add me

"The things in life you regret are the risks you never took"

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    ....There is nothing but love and tent pitching at the BoMo days....

Quote Originally Posted by DocCola View Post
    Umm, Corey, you couldn't pay me to drive diesel OR gas powered GM, but especially the diesel. Please tell me what is so great about the duramax-ipad? I would LOVE to know.

Cummins is by far the best diesel available in a pickup truck. I don't care what truck it was put it, I would buy it. I think you need to get over your GM brain washing and open your eyes a bit, there ARE other types of vehicles out there MUCH better than anything GM has to offer.

that's my .02.
    oh hush! remember when you were all i like your truck i would never get a ford, and then kiara brainwashed you into a ford haha

Corey

oh and PS the guy asked for some input, that means from everyone, not just from you people who want to start shit with me because i threw my opinion out there, the guy was asking for opinions, i gave him mine!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by DocCola View Post

that's my .02.
    and actually i happen to be friends with a mechanic who works on gm and dodge and he said dodges break way more than chevy/gmc so from a mechanics stand=point gm is better, and no i am not talking about my uncle because he is only a gm mechanic

Corey

We've got 3 at work, one is dead, 2 are on the hook (tow truck) on a regular basis. All 3 have had major engine work, the one that's dead was on it's second motor...which shot a rod out the engine case when i was driving. My boss buys vehicles based on price, and after a few years of repairs that total the cost they paid for the trucks, have yet to figure out "you get what you pay for". Buying an International truck and expecting it to be reliable and sound is like buying a Toyota and expecting to never get rust...aint ever gonna happen

Yamaha

oh hush! remember when you were all i like your truck i would never get a ford, and then kiara brainwashed you into a ford haha
    and actually i happen to be friends with a mechanic who works on gm and dodge and he said dodges break way more than chevy/gmc so from a mechanics stand=point gm is better, and no i am not talking about my uncle because he is only a gm mechanic
    News flash Corey, don't try to drag my truck buying decision into this or my "girlfriend" because neither have anything to do with this conversation. Like I said before I was looking at Fords long before I told her, not to mention I did something called RESEARCH on the recent history of the three big truck company's and guess what buddy, Ford had much better reviews for gas burners. Not to mention how much did Ford take from the Government for bailout money? And what about holy old GM? haha

You've got such a holier than thou attitude it's getting old. You need to get over yourself past that. Your "buddy" can say what they want. Over the past 22 years the cummins has been available in pick ups it has far beaten anything from GM or Dodge. The only big problem is their automatic transmissions, so be a real man and buy a stick.

Oh, and for the Record, it would take 4 internationals to pull one peterbuilt, especially since two of the internationals would be broken anyway.

Ajay
    My Facebook-add me

"The things in life you regret are the risks you never took"

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    ....There is nothing but love and tent pitching at the BoMo days....

Your Mechanic friend is inaccurate.... It's great to get opinions out there but lets be realistic here.

Let me toss some information out here on Diesels.

First, The Cummins has worked out there problems years ago, Duramax and Powerstroke are the only ones with problems because they haven't been in the Diesel business that long. Yea, every vehicle has it problems but I am talking Real Issue's here.

Cummins has had 93 years to work out there problems & Ford seems to change there engine every time I blink. The Duramax has overheating problems with there new trucks, and heat in Diesel's is just bad JuJu.

Clessie lyle cummins is known as the father of American Diesels and he is the founder of Cummins Diesel est. in 1917.

Ford didn't establish there Powerstroke till the 90's and Chevy's Duramax till 2000.

Before that Chevy and Ford has nothing but P.O.S engines in there trucks.

Sure if dodge didn't have the Cummins engine they wouldn't be much at all & everyone knows that. Thank god they stepped up!

Duramax & that foreign made Isuzu crap motor...yes they are strong for the most part, but nothing will ever compare to the Power stroke or the Cummins Diesel motors.

Hell even Ford is using the Cummins in there line up now in there F650/750 models. Same Diesel motor Dodge uses in there 2500/3500 models.

Then there is the Chevy ground clearance issue's..This is what killed them if you ask me..Chevy gave that up w/ the loss of the straight axle late in the 80's...

You don't see anyone doing Cummins swaps to a Chevy for this very reason. They swap them to Fords.

Now back to you regular scheduled program on the Kool-Aid network.

Last edited by FireboltEric_MA; 02-14-10 at 08:39 PM.

Wow so this turned into a funny thread. guess there are some people who really love thier Diesels out there. I think im going to buy the truck anyways

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast