Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Doc's Oct 5/6/7 2007 Report

First weekend as an Amatuer.

We start off on Friday with the Arrival of Scott (SMF) with news that he has gotten his bike back together and will also be participating in his first Amatuer weekend!

Go out for practice on the Duc and it is running like crap... long story short it had dirt in the carbs and took me 2 practices and a new battery to finally get it all sorted by SATURDAY. (Don't ask) Last practice I went out on the Hawk just so I could get some laps in.

Saturday practice and the Duc is running fine! I only got in 1 practice because of the Duc's issues but I was BACK! Doing 1:25's

First AM race EVER is Thunderbikes, On the Grid with Oxx and Jersey, thought we were wave #3 but we all end up going in wave #2. Shitty start (were we really supposed to go?) and I am dead last going into one. (A very slow dead last as I give a wave to my wife as I come past in 1a ) I settle in. I could keep an eye on Jersey for a lap or 2 and then he was gone. Had #295 in my sights and was following a slow expert for awhile...#264... Dragged him to the line but couldn't make it past. Nice warm up and busted my AM Cherry. Times were OK considering my lack of practice fast lap of a 1:24.765.

Sunday
    The BIG day. Gonna run with all my buds in Hawk Nation for the ULSB race
    First up is LWSB
    Track is dry and the Duc is still running strong. Less intimidated now that I have one under my belt. Got Jersey in front of me and Oxx to my Left on the grid, jay holland is there too! only 8 bikes in the wave. I get a good start but back out a little going into 1, I think I was about mid pack coming outta 2, had to check up in 1a... I see Oxx just in front of me and can't FRIGGIN BELIEVE I am going up the inside of him going into 3! Holy Crap! Jersey and Jay are in front of me and pulling away as I try to watch Jersey's line and ignore Jay on the Motard. Come onto the front straight and I KNOW Oxx is all over me! Yep there he goes by me going into 1 and I lose him quick (Come to find out he had cold tires and needed a lap to warm em up, I like to think he was just trying to make me feel good since he has the LWSB crown locked up!) tried to watch Oxx and his lines for a lap but couldn't keep the pace. (Oxx 2nd lap 1:23, mine a 1:26 ) Hey I led him for one lap!!

Gotta go to work, Jay is only 2 seconds ahead... which quickly changes to 4... I look back on my 2nd time around and I see #276 Shane Lewis on an SV on my ass, ok I got a race, just need to be smooth, I got some work to do. I blow 12 on the 6th lap and he gets by me, I take him back going over the hill in 5 and put my head down knowing this is out last lap as the leaders have gotten by us, late braking into 11 pushes me wide, I am tired and fail to get my lazy ass off the seat and lowside, had enough time to think "Huh, your dragging your shoulder, I think it is time to let go of the bike." I did a little log roll and stop, look up to see my Nemisis #276 coming around for the pass, DAMN! I had quite a lead on him, Get up and run to the bike, it is laying in 11a right in the line. It is still running! I pick it up and like an idiot go to jump on to get back in the race! RIGHT IN THE LINE! What a friggin fool I am! I am just glad that the Experts coming around went around me (Got a stern talking to regarding my idiocy after the race too.)

I look up track and it is clear so I jump on and get it in gear to finish (My shift lever was broken but can I just say how much I LOVE Axljack frame sliders) I still wasn't last! 7 of 8 in the race (shoulda been a 6th)
    Who da hell is AM #359 out there doing HIGH 1:30's in AM LWSB??!!! Dude need to go back to Novice!

ULSB "The Race"
    The WHOLE turn 1a pits rolled out for this one! This is by far the highlight of my weekend and I am sure it is others too.
    Started pretty deep in the field, got an OK launch and saw Scott (SMF) almost get the holeshot of wave 2 out of the corner of my eye! Settle in behind Bob Stone and figure I'll let this Vetran show me the fast way around for a few laps. I get cocky and pass him coming out 6, he comes right back and passes me back coming outta 12, dragging Tony with him.
    I try to catch them but I am just beat, getting more and more tired and just praying for the race to end, all the while trying to stay in front of a guy behind me...downshifted hard coming into 11 and slid the rear a bit but saved it, came into 3 way to hot and almost went into the wall but saved it...while losing a spot. Thought I might make it back up but never did. Ended up 9th or 10th. Didn't really care where I finished I am just glad I did!

Can't wait for next year!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

congrats on a decent first AM weekend.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Thanks, It could have been better but I guess it could have been worse.

Some pics

You can just barely see my front tire and #1 on the left of the pack,

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

nice job man....got the 1st weekend out of the way, time to get up on the podium!