Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DOT Race Tire Q's (Again)

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

DOT Race Tire Q's (Again)

OK, I've read a lot about race tires recently, and have a few questions that I have not seen answers to. If anyone could help me out here without turning this into a "blank is better than blank because blank sucks and I don't like the color shorts this dude wears" bitchfest that'd be great. I guess I'll go through everything numbered in order, so if someone wants to help w/ a specific Q it's easy enough.

1) Everyone tells me my 208s are shit. They're a minimum of 7 years old and have always been stored sub freezing in the winter, baking hot in the summer. So, I figure I should try something else. I realize this won't take 10 seconds off my time, but every half second matters to me, and confidence plays a factor, at least for me, in how fast I ride.

2) Apparently my EX is set up for a 140 rear, and this would somehow benefit me more than running a 150 rear like I have been. (I'm slightly dubious on this since some of the fastest EX500 guys @ LRRS are currently running 160 Dunlops). Why would a 140 be better than a 150?

3) Pirelli makes supersoft race DOTs in 150/110. Dunlop unfortunately no longer does. Everyone says the P-funk is a good tire, but a PITA once you're sub 1:17 or whatever. Since my EX will NEVER run sub 17's, I'm not worried. However, I also keep hearing that a bike running P-Funk has to be set up for P-Funks. My bike is set up for 208's, it's an old Penguin bike (I think). How big of a deal is this? Who would do it? What would it cost? Am I going to be chasing setup all year w/ P-Funks?

4) I'm also told Bridgestone makes tires in the size my bike is supposed to have (140/110). Should I care? Apparently these tires are popular outside of LRRS, not so much @ LRRS. This is an LRRS bike. Would my setup have to be changed for these? If so, who could do it? And where would I get them?

5) Someone told me BT pays novice contingency in proddy twins. I didn't think they did. If they do, neat. Can you actually get the $? From who? I don't expect to make a living here, but even getting $5 for a race would kick ass in my book. It'd at least buy me a sammich or something.

One other thing: I know I'm slow. I know ANY race DOT from a decent vendor is faster than me. I just think new rubber might help since mine has apparently "gone bad". I'm willing to try something new, even if just to inspire confidence and grab half a second. If it sucks, I'll go back to my old-ass 208's until I wear them to the point I can't get through tech.

Thoughts welcome and appreciated. I'll now be ducking for a bit until the shit is done hitting the fan.

-ddk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Re: DOT Race Tire Q's (Again)

Maybe you should ask this on the EX500 Mafia Near thingy

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    Probably a good call. I'll try that. Thanks. It's been so dead I kind of forgot it existed.

You'll never use all that tire..

Waiting for the shit show to begin....

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    You'll never use all that tire..

Waiting for the shit show to begin....
    Actually, if you shove a 150 or 160 on, you literally wont. : )

1. Confidence is 9/10s of the battle. I personally wouldnt ride on take offs and/or tires I didnt know the history of. But thats just me.
    2. I dont know how a bike is "set up" for a 140 rear? I always ran a 150. From what I understand, dunlops sizing is a little off compared to everyone else, so a 160 might be closer to a 155? I could be wrong there though.
    3. Umm 1:17? You got nothing to worry about (Mark/BJ/Dana are doing 1:20s or so). Beyond that, I dont know much about the tire. As for tire setup, Im not a suspension guy, so I dunno how that would be affected.
    4. No idea, dunno bridgestone, maybe ask on Wera?
    5. Check the website. I know they pay novice contingency, which no other class (the major ones anyway) have. So Im guessing they're not picking as far as "Loudon only" classes.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

In talking with a EX500 Champion he said (I asked your specific question)
    'no one makes a 140 rear in race compound worth a shit. Put on a 150 Bridge or 160 Dunlop and call it a day. The Pirelli front isn't bad but the rear sucks. It's too soft. Mich makes a 150 rear but no one knows much about it. I'm (not me him) running a triple-compound 160 rear and it's fine"

take it for what it's worth. I shall not be passing along further messages.

Ps he's not sponsored by any tire folks and buys his own rubber.

Last edited by a13x; 02-16-10 at 12:52 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

delete the thread... no more tire questions until 12/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    1. Confidence is 9/10s of the battle. I personally wouldnt ride on take offs and/or tires I didnt know the history of. But thats just me.
    2. I dont know how a bike is "set up" for a 140 rear? I always ran a 150. From what I understand, dunlops sizing is a little off compared to everyone else, so a 160 might be closer to a 155? I could be wrong there though.
    3. Umm 1:17? You got nothing to worry about (Mark/BJ/Dana are doing 1:20s or so). Beyond that, I dont know much about the tire. As for tire setup, Im not a suspension guy, so I dunno how that would be affected.
    4. No idea, dunno bridgestone, maybe ask on Wera?
    5. Check the website. I know they pay novice contingency, which no other class (the major ones anyway) have. So Im guessing they're not picking as far as "Loudon only" classes.
    Thanks DB.
    1) That's the exact reason I want to try something new.
    2) Kurlon told me that EXs are supposed to run 140 rears. That's all I'm basing this on. I've never seen one without a 150, but I've also never looked at tires on one that wasn't @ LRRS.
    3) Like I said, my bike will NEVER hit those times. Even if I loan it to one of the fastest guys. Hence my not being worried about that aspect. I'm just worried about P-Funks needing different setup than Dunlops (per a bunch of crap I've read on here recently)
    4) Good idea, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    'no one makes a 140 rear in race compound worth a shit. Put on a 150 Bridge or 160 Dunlop and call it a day. The Pirelli front isn't bad but the rear sucks. It's too soft. Mich makes a 150 rear but no one knows much about it. I'm (not me him) running a triple-compound 160 rear and it's fine"

Alex, you're the man. Thanks.

Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 02-16-10 at 12:52 PM.

I have never heard anything good about the Pirelli 150/ Ex500 relationship My understanding is that tire does not work on that bike for racing. I remember people removing them almost new and replacing with other brands takeoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post

I have never heard anything good about the Pirelli 150/ Ex500 relationship My understanding is that tire does not work on that bike for racing. I remember people removing them almost new and replacing with other brands takeoffs.
    Thanks. I just read something similar searching on the NEAR EX500 list, which I should have done before posting. do'oh!

I ran michelins exclusively on my EX, no problems with them whatsoever. I liked them. 150s.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Christ, I hate to do this to you guys, but I've got a tire question too. Dunlop's got a deal online for Sportmax D209 GPA tires (1 front medium and 2 soft rears for $329). Anybody run these? Is it a good buy? I'm new and dont know anything about race tires yet. Thanks!

Banned

Dan. Want me to cancel that 110 diablo order? Looks like it's not the way to go for you.

Quote Originally Posted by woody9189 View Post
    Christ, I hate to do this to you guys, but I've got a tire question too. Dunlop's got a deal online for Sportmax D209 GPA tires (1 front medium and 2 soft rears for $329). Anybody run these? Is it a good buy? I'm new and dont know anything about race tires yet. Thanks!
    Perfectly fine to start out on. As a new racer.. it will not matter what tire is on the bike... track time and learning is what you need to focus on. Starting with the GP-A's will give you a good baseline to begin the season with. As you improve/learn you can work with the suspension to try and make it all work as a package.

1 front and 2 rears for 329 sounds like a deal... and again.. it will get you started off on the right foot.

***adding****

There are experts running on GP-A tires at competive lap times and they prefer to run this tire because its is alot less money than the D211's. So there should be ZERO concern about starting out on the GP-A. If its a good deal to you compared to another brand price wise..then jump on it.

Last edited by Scottg22; 02-16-10 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Dan. Want me to cancel that 110 diablo order? Looks like it's not the way to go for you.
    Degs, I was of the impression you already had that 110 diablo & were not ordering it for me, I was just calling dibs on it. I don't want to throw you under the bus on it. I was trying to get some input on what works & doesn't for EXs. When you say it looks like it's not the way to go, do you mean based on the replies I'm getting here? If you're thinking that's the case, sure. That does seem to be the consensus. I still appreciate the offer on dibs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Degs, I was of the impression you already had that 110 diablo & were not ordering it for me, I was just calling dibs on it. I don't want to throw you under the bus on it. I was trying to get some input on what works & doesn't for EXs. When you say it looks like it's not the way to go, do you mean based on the replies I'm getting here? If you're thinking that's the case, sure. That does seem to be the consensus. I still appreciate the offer on dibs
    Yep, exactly. Looks like it's not the best tire for you. we have it in stock, not a special order. I'll sell it elsewhere. not a problem at all. don't want you lumbered with a tire that wont work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Yep, exactly. Looks like it's not the best tire for you. we have it in stock, not a special order. I'll sell it elsewhere. not a problem at all. don't want you lumbered with a tire that wont work for you.
    Cool. Thanks bud

Quote Originally Posted by woody9189 View Post

Where is said deal?? I'm in!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Thanks alot...you are the one to blame for the 8 friggin emails I got

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

Children should be in school.

Banned

Children should be in school.
    Its a vacation week

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Shutup pre-novice, the fastest ptwin guys @ LRRS are giving advice on this shit. You should be taking notes, if you have a spare what with all your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Shutup pre-novice, the fastest ptwin guys @ LRRS are giving advice on this shit. You should be taking notes, if you have a spare what with all your homework.
    I already have 120/160 Dunlops ready to throw on my EX

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I replied on the EX500 list but here are some truths.

Any brand will work on that bike.

I used to run a soft front Michelin on the front when the old D208 Dunlop was a chatter monster. Loved it. Predictable slide, never chattered and lasted a few weekends. The rear wwas a different story. I did some of my best times on it. But it would only last 1 weekend (doing high 20's low 21's) and when it was done it was DONE.

Never had much time on the Pirelli's other than on my sister in law's bike, but when you are used to Dunlops and Michelins the slidy feeling of the Pirelli was a bit strange. I think mostly that tire is not happy on the EX rear rim. The front, however, was very much like the Michelin front. I liked it.

I ran a Dunlop 150 on the rear with a Michelin front for 2 years. The 150 Dunlop was perfect for the bike because the profile, while mounted on that skinny rim, would still allow for the tire to get all the way to the edge, and you could pretty much whack the throttle open anywhere with very predictable spin.

I like a very stiff tire, and now that the D209 (made in England only) and D211 front are pretty chatter proof on the EX it fits my riding style. Why, when I loved the soft Michelin front so much, I have no idea. The D209 AMA spec front made in America made my EX and SV chatter so badly I took them off right away.

If you can get a take off front D211 (120/70/17) grab it. I seriously used the same tire the whole season last year. Granted that was only running 2 practices and 1 race on Saturday. And we had a rain race the last race of the year, but I would have run it if it was dry.

The rear Dunlop D209 160 was a crap shoot when Dunlop discontinued the 150 208. I think Dana tried it first, and Dunlop said it would work. I love it. It has way better grip than the 208 ever had. You won't get to the edge of the tire, but it doesn't seem to matter. I actually take the ones off my SV that have gone for 2 weekends and run them for another 2 on the EX.

To fit it on the rear, I used the stock chain (104 links, I think) and changed the sprockets. I just ran downstairs to see what's on there. A 15 tooth front and a 41 rear put my gearing a little shorter to make up for the taller tire and my shift points on the track are identical. If you are using Tyresox warmers you are good to go. I have been using Woodcraft tirebakers and I smacked the inside of the swingarm with a hammer on the weld to gain a little clearance for those. Hell, a hammer is the most used tool on one of these bikes.

So there it is. Definately stick with whatever tire you decide on for at least a season. You want the bike to stay the same so you can get faster on it.

CCS LRRS #454

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast