Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Indoor Mini-GP racing this winter in Maine

Maine Indoor Karting Mini-GP Winter League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 Washington Ave.
    Scarborough, ME 04074

League Format:
    - 5 event series, races held bi-weekly on Sunday nights
    - Alternating nights will be open practices
    - Each class will get one practice (10 minutes), one Qualifier (4 minutes) and one Main Event (8 minutes)
    - Racers may buy additional non-points heats (8 minutes) for $10 a pop, heats will occur just before or just after points racing depending on when people arrive and are ready to rock, as well as racer preference

Tech - Rider Safety:

Riders will not be allowed on the track if their gear isn't intact or if any is missing. The basic theory is you need to be fully covered head to toe, and that covering has to be appropriate to the task at hand. A MX jersey isn't going to do a thing for you if you slide on concrete at 40mph. Use common sense, and the guidelines below. If you think you can't race in full gear, most of us wear full road race gear, I pile on a kidney belt and knee braces as well, and movement is not a problem.

- Full face helmet, DOT or SNELL approved
    - Gloves, full finger coverage, synthetic or leather
    - Jacket / full suit, leather or synthetic/mesh (It needs to have good abrasion resistance, and some impact absorption.)
    - Pants, leather or synthetic, denim is out unless they are motorcycle specific jeans (Dragin Jeans, etc)
    - Armor (Roost vests, knee pads, etc) is strongly encouraged but not required
    - Boots must go over the ankle

Tech - Bike:
    - Front and rear brakes must both be present AND functional
    - Kill switch MUST WORK and will be tested
    - Bikes must not leak any fluids at all-ever!!! (That is a direct quote, while it doesn't call for catch bottles, I don't see how you'll keep your bike from dripping without them. Even just a little oil on concrete can really ruin an evening of racing, so please man up and mount a functional catch can system. If you at one time drank from it, it's not a valid catch bottle.)
    - Throttle must SNAP back into the closed position
    - Tires must be in good shape (No dry rot, cords showing, home brew retreads using old rubber mats and rubber cement, etc)

$$$:
    $140 up front on Dec 16th, the night of the first practice. This pays for your 5 points nights. This also covers trophies at the end of the league, as well as full point system tally in print and on the MIK website. The costs of practice nights hasn't been nailed down yet, and will likely depend on turnout. (The more that show, the less it'll cost us.) As noted before, on race nights we can buy into additional non-points heats for $10 a pop to get more track time.

Classing:
    'Small division' - 49cc up to 85cc
    'Unlimited division' - 86cc and up

All bikes must be pitbikes as defined:
    "Horizontal single cylinder air cooled four stroke motors in an open cradle motorcycle chassis equipped with a rear wheel rim no larger than 12" in diameter, and a front wheel rim no larger than 14" in diameter."

If there are any 'midbikes' that want to play, show up and we'll talk them into letting you play. : )

Schedule:
    Dec 16th (First night of the series, NON POINTS)
    - Arrive by 5pm
    - Register by 5:15pm
    - Racers meeting and bike tech inspection at 5:30pm. If you're racing, you must be at the meeting, and yes they are sticklers on that. If your bike fails tech, we'll try to help you get it sorted if possible so you can get some practice time.
    - Racing starts at 6pm
    For the first night, as it's a practice we'll be tossed on the track at random, and all heats will be 8 minutes long. You must show up for this night to lock into the league. If you don't, you'll be restricted to practice nights only and won't be eligible for points/trophies/etc.

Dec 23rd (First League Points night in the series)
    - Arrive and register by 5:30pm
    - Racers meeting and tech at 5:45pm, starting order based on lap times from the prior weeks practice will be announced. Bikes that fail tech won't be allowed to run. Myself and others will try to help as we can to get you through tech if possible, but understand that the racing will not be held up to give your bike time for a second pass. Make sure it's in shape BEFORE you arrive.
    - First opportunity for a $10 heat at 6:10pm (Limited to one per racer)
    - Racing begins at 6:30pm
    - After racing, we can start tossing $10s down for additional heats, no limit listed.

From that point forward, practices use the format listed for Dec 16th, races use the format listed for the 23rd. Also note, it is expected that you can and will be at all points nights if you pay into the league. Kinda silly to lay out that cash up front if you don't expect to attend...

Dec 16th - Practice / League Signup / Initial Qualifying
    Dec 23rd - First Points Night
    Dec 30th - Practice
    January 6th - 2nd Points Night
    January 13th - Practice
    January 20th - 3rd Points Night
    January 27th - Practice
    February 3rd - 4th Points Night
    February 10th - Last Practice Night
    February 17th - Final Round / Last Call / Sweet Swan Song / Fat Lady Sings

That about covers it. If you've got any questions, now's the time to ask. : )

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Due to the weather, today's practice is canceled, and the schedule is being pushed back one week.

Dec 23rd will be the first practice, Dec 30th will be our first points event.

Dec 23rd (First night of the series, NON POINTS)
    - Arrive by 5pm
    - Register by 5:15pm
    - Racers meeting and bike tech inspection at 5:30pm. If you're racing, you must be at the meeting, and yes they are sticklers on that. If your bike fails tech, we'll try to help you get it sorted if possible so you can get some practice time.
    - Racing starts at 6pm
    For the first night, as it's a practice we'll be tossed on the track at random, and all heats will be 8 minutes long. You must show up for this night to lock into the league. If you don't, you'll be restricted to practice nights only and won't be eligible for points/trophies/etc.

Dec 30th (First League Points night in the series)
    - Arrive and register by 5:30pm
    - Racers meeting and tech at 5:45pm, starting order based on lap times from the prior weeks practice will be announced. Bikes that fail tech won't be allowed to run. Myself and others will try to help as we can to get you through tech if possible, but understand that the racing will not be held up to give your bike time for a second pass. Make sure it's in shape BEFORE you arrive.
    - First opportunity for a $10 heat at 6:10pm (Limited to one per racer)
    - Racing begins at 6:30pm
    - After racing, we can start tossing $10s down for additional heats, no limit listed.

I have a TTR 125L with a 16" rear and a 19" front. No deal on this?

Lifer

Contact information for questions?

I don't want to spend 4 hours driving, and commit the full cost up front to find out it's poorly organized and 20 minutes of tracktime.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

eboos: The TTR is out, gotta be a 14" front or smaller, 12" rear or smaller, open cradle frame.

hessogood: Race nights are 22 minutes of on track time, assuming you don't go for the optional heats. 10 min practice session, 4 minute qualifier, 8 minute main. Practice nights are 8 min sessions, dunno how many per night.

Ryan Mondor is operating the league on MIK's side, he can be contacted at ryanm@maineindoorkarting.com. Dave Peterson is organizing things on the racers side, and I'm playing PR Spam bot. : ) Post up/pm questions and I'll sling'em around to the right people, or hit up Ryan direct for date/time/etc.

Lifer

Yeah, 20 minutes of riding and 4 hours of driving is not for me.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?