Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Dumbest thing you've ever done on the track

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever done on the track

Quote Originally Posted by isaac_ View Post
    Weird. I've never had that issue with my Sidi. Did you not tie them down?
    They probably were a little loose. I had never had that issue before and I've never heard of anyone else having it. I sat on the bike for a while after trying to reproduce the issue and could not. It was a freak thing for sure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I hate boots with doo-dads. My sidis get hooked on the heelguards and my me feel like a super idiot when pushing hard into a corner. I'm looking for new boots. Must not have exo-skeletor crap...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I hate boots with doo-dads. My sidis get hooked on the heelguards and my me feel like a super idiot when pushing hard into a corner. I'm looking for new boots. Must not have exo-skeletor crap...
    Same happens to me. My next pair will be Mag 1s or something other than Sidi.

Wow, I left 40+ lbs in my rear tire on a cool day at thompson and on lap 2 watched the rear end of my bike pass the front in T3. I was still on board thinking of how to save it, then of how bad the crash would be. I let go of the bike. I guess that was the smart part.
    I guess even more dumber was the time I did the same thing the very next weekend but with my rain tires. Went about 1 lap and then promptly tossed the bike in T2. haha

Same thing here. I've never caught the straps, but the flaps at the shin part of the boot catch my heel guards all the time. So annoying when you tip in and have to wrench your leg off the heelguard to get your body off the bike.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Have a look at the TCX RS-2 Evo

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Update: I did get the TCX boots. solved that problem. I also did another stupid racer trick. Entered a sprint race on Jake's Moriwaki with USCRA. Won the race but missed the checkers...TWICE. LOL. I lapped the field on their cooldown lap, and bikes were still going into T1on my second victory lap, but I finally realized we weren't racing anymore... I almost got DQ'd.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Update: I did get the TCX boots. solved that problem. I also did another stupid racer trick. Entered a sprint race on Jake's Moriwaki with USCRA. Won the race but missed the checkers...TWICE. LOL. I lapped the field on their cooldown lap, and bikes were still going into T1on my second victory lap, but I finally realized we weren't racing anymore... I almost got DQ'd.
    This is hilarious.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I was drunk and hungover one morning and was trying to pullstart nazo's 80's three wheeler. i finally get pissed and give it a super hard yank, it starts up at full rev in gear and launches at the RV I had to chase it dive and manhandle the thing, got it stopped within inches of the RV. That woke me up.
    Wait, isnt that the one I got from him? That I brought to my parents house in NH, gave it a yank, it started up at full rev and launched itself 30 feet down a hill into the woods?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    This is hilarious.
    I aim to please. Oh, and I also borrowed and smashed woody's beautiful new RC390 racebike in the rain at Palmer...

Last edited by Paul_E_D; 07-07-17 at 09:59 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Oh and my latest update: Met my ex-wife. Though that mightve been Newbury St.

Man I need track time in my life.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Just read the entire thread. Pure gold in here.

Good you knew the race director so well

Not on the track, but close to it. Backed my bike up at Palmer in the pits. Put the kickstand down but it wasn't full engaged. Threw my leg over and it fell on my foot breaking it. Embarrassment took over and I went out and did 3 laps. Then was off the bike for 4 weeks

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

This wasn't me but it was pretty funny and he isn't on here. Years ago I was watching from the T6 stands and Houk tucked the front going into the bowl. He got stuck in the airfence, and his bike went up and over the barrier and down the hill (only he didn't know it). He climbed out, and mid race was running around looking for his bike, lifting up blocks of airfence, doing 360's completely confused by his disappearing bike. Once the CW's got his attention he went to retrieve it. As he went to ride his wadded up race bike, in full leathers, through the tunnel they stopped him and made him take his glove off to show his wrist band lol.

13 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 07-07-17 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Good you knew the race director so well

Not on the track, but close to it. Backed my bike up at Palmer in the pits. Put the kickstand down but it wasn't full engaged. Threw my leg over and it fell on my foot breaking it. Embarrassment took over and I went out and did 3 laps. Then was off the bike for 4 weeks
    And that was the same event I wadded Woody's KTM...

Paul_E_D

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Good you knew the race director so well. :
    ...and the Referee.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Probably my biggest brain fart was as a Starter. Betty Bluenose used to do this little ritual of leading the fiddys to the starting grid with her golf cart. I was on a tight schedule and not in a very good mood that day. I threw the green flag while she was still on the track between Start/Finish and Turn 1. At least it was only the fiddys. Bette French told her no more "pace cart".

Last edited by Johnny B; 07-11-17 at 10:04 PM.

Won the race but missed the checkers...TWICE.
    June event? Yeah, there was a Starter visibility problem with the new Safer barrier. Cindy was flagging from on top of the wall instead of on the tarmac where you're used to seeing her.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    June event? Yeah, there was a Starter visibility problem with the new Safer barrier. Cindy was flagging from on top of the wall instead of on the tarmac where you're used to seeing her.
    Vindicated! Be sure to tell the referee and a certain (female) team Giannini member...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    This wasn't me but it was pretty funny and he isn't on here. Years ago I was watching from the T6 stands and Houk tucked the front going into the bowl. He got stuck in the airfence, and his bike went up and over the barrier and down the hill (only he didn't know it). He climbed out, and mid race was running around looking for his bike, lifting up blocks of airfence, doing 360's completely confused by his disappearing bike. Once the CW's got his attention he went to retrieve it. As he went to ride his wadded up race bike, in full leathers, through the tunnel they stopped him and made him take his glove off to show his wrist band lol.
    This is pure gold right here.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

i did a track day. now I can never get off the track now.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

xxaarraa

I got a lot of entertainment reading 12 pages of this thread! Does this thread include dumbest things you have thought about doing?

We were waiting to go out in pit lane at NYST one day when the crash truck went out to retrieve a car that had spun out of control in the car session right before ours.

It took forever and we were all getting frustrated our tires were cooling; it was a late fall day with track temps low to start with.

Then the car was towed back and we started our engines itching to go.

Then the crash truck goes out again with a crew armed with brooms and whatnot. WTF. Supposedly they had to clean the track now. Damn it.

Then some of the guys in the pit lane gave up and started making u-turns on the main straight and heading back into the paddock.

By now, I am at the front of the line and I was thinking maybe that's it, this session is a goner.

Then I saw the track marshal give me the thumbs up. I was a little confused as to whether that meant thumbs up track's hot go for it, or thumbs up go back to pit.

I set out on my lap still confused (big mistake) and when I noticed no one else was beside me, I decided to turn around . Yes, half way down the straight, I thought about turning around.

Just as I slowed, Dave Fett wizzed past me at 100 mph and scaring the Vishnu/Jesus/Buddha out of me. Holy shit I have never been that afraid ever in my life. My heart rate went from 45 to 700 in 10 milliseconds. Just imagining what would have happened to be t-boned by a 100 mph motorcycle gives me the shivers even today.

Thankfully I am still here today posting about it.

xxaarraa

OK I now remembered a stupid thing I actually did do.

I had put a new gas cap on my bike that morning and filled the tank to the brim like I always do before the start of the morning.

I set out on the first session - first bike out. As soon as I get out of hot pit and start accelerating, my crotch starts burning. Like, an intense burning sensation.

I tried to look down at it to see whatsup but my neck brace and other things get in the way. So I said fuck it and decided to keep going.

The burning sensation eases up as I go around the first lap and I am thinking, ok that's cool. That was weird, but cool now.

I get to the end of the main straight and brake hard and it burns again! I was like WTF, this is weird. but by now I am comitted to winning the track day race so I keep going fast!

The same thing happens 3 laps in a row and I am still not giving up. I am a dedicated track day racer.

On the 5th lap as I pass the track marshal station, Nate (a buddy) actually steps out on to the straightaway and motions to me to pit in quite vigorously. I was now like oh shit what did I do.

I pit out the next lap and they all come running to me and start checking my bike.

Supposedly every time I hit the brakes there was a vapor cloud behind me so they thought it was my brake line that was busted or coolant or something.

And in my dedication to winning the race I had completely missed the meat ball flag 3 laps in a row! lol The marshal and others were not impressed.

Wait the story isn't done. Scott in his new Yamaha R1M on his first ever track day with it was the second bike out and right behind me. My vapor cloud had gotten all over his helmet and he ran off the track at Turn 1!! (Luckily he didn't go down)

I am not making this shit up. This is some real life james bond stuff.

It turns out the new gas cap I installed that morning didn't seal right and my full tank was spilling fuel right out of the gas cap every time I hit the brakes.

Thankfully Scott, his bike and my crotch are all still fully functional.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-13-17 at 08:43 AM.

Right, full tech inspection on your bikes before each session, and possibly hand holding on pre-grid...

Lifer

WR450F motard. Boxshop. Fueled up before supermono mains. Midway through race I notice a fucking gas cap and vent tube sitting in the middle of the hairpin before S/F. What the literal fuck! What kind of clown loses a gas cap?!?

..Looks down..

..Raises hand. Pulls off race-line and putts around to pit-road.
    ..On way to pit road, gets to edge of track and grabs a handful of front, front starts to tuck. Saves it and putts off track swearing.

To this day I swear I tightened that cap. Evidence suggests otherwise.

But how were the balls?

Paul_E_D