Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dunlop GPA pro vs Slicks

Dunlop GPA pro vs Slicks

Question for those who have run them ,now do the Gpa's compare to the slicks for grip and longevity? I understand different compounds will last and grip differently. But Apple's to Apple's is there a big difference?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Re: Dunlop GPA pro vs Slicks

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Question for those who have run them ,now do the Gpa's compare to the slicks for grip and longevity? I understand different compounds will last and grip differently. But Apple's to Apple's is there a big difference?
    The difference is very small. The rear tires are virtually identical - there is (if I remember the quote correctly) 2-3% less grip with the DOT, which is purely a theoretical number due to the loss of contact area where there are grooves. The front tires both wear like iron, but the slick will last slightly longer. Again, the difference is small. The slick has an extra ply in the carcass that makes it more stable under heavy braking than the DOT - but that is something that I typically adjust for by running a few extra PSI in the DOT. Some guys (like Scott Greenwood, who may have won a few races at NHMS) run the front DOT almost exclusively because he likes how it feels.

Lap times - within a couple tenths for even top expert riders.

Hope this helps!

Re: Dunlop GPA pro vs Slicks

Yes, it helps a lot thanks. I usually run the med front and the med rear slicks. love the grip and life of the front slick. Knowing the front GPA will last is nice and was thinking of running the soft rear GPA.. Any chance you have run that tire and could give me your impression's? And do you make any suspensions adjustments running the DOTS vs the slicks?
    Again thanks for your input.