Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Eject System

Re: Eject System

Haha

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

you all need to switch to Suomy. I checked my helmet that I wore for 4 weekends and I think at least 7 track days and crashed in. The venting channel in the eps foam is perfect for fitting the tube. The only spot that shows and kind of damage from the tube is at the base of the helmet where there is no channel. the mark is maybe 1/4" long and maybe 1-2mm deep at the worst part. Not sure if it was damage from general use or from the impact of the crash. I doubt it was the crash though because I barely hit my head, it was more just sliding along.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    whats so crazy about it? if it was founded that the eject system was/is compromising the integrity of the helmets then that seems like a really good reason to strike. its not like youre some whiny pro footballer striking so you can make an extra $20k a game.

the idea of the system is a good one. theres just a few questions that need to be answered before next season:
    -we have several people saying that its denting the foam in the helmets...is this a cause for concern? if the answer to this is YES then it should definitely be revisited
    -we know of at least 1 person that the device didnt work...are there any others? if the answer is YES then it needs to be revisited.
    -was the device used every time EMTs removed a helmet? if the answer is NO...then why?
    First of all, i'll say that i'm not a fan of the eject system. I don't think there is a need for it and I think if anything it should be recommended, but not required. If given the option, I probably wouldn't use one. I just think that boycotting LRRS because of it is a little crazy. We are talking about a pretty minor helmet modification here...

And I have inspected my helmet and haven't seen any structural damage to the liner. I also had a highside in the last weekend that caused me to smack my head hard enough to spyderweb most of the foam. Didn't see any evidence that the eject system had compromised the helmet in anyway.

I'm just saying if you are that worried about how a tiny bladder will effect your helmet in the event of a major crash.... well maybe motorcycle racing isn't the right sport for you.....

LRRS #313

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    I'm just saying if you are that worried about how a tiny bladder will effect your helmet in the event of a major crash.... well maybe motorcycle racing isn't the right sport for you.....

Ah yes...that's it! Motorcycle racing isn't for anyone who disagrees with this item being a requirement.

The fact that you would rely on your personal inspection in your living room over having the mfg perform an inspection with supporting documentation speaks volumes of your standpoint. I don't expect you to understand the risks involved with modifying the only item deisgned to protect your head.

Since LRRS is okay with tech passing these damaged helmets then anything that has been crashed or is out of date should be more than sufficient from here on in.....HJC's included

Eject System

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    You don't understand Degs, you guys NEVER mentioned the possibility of getting an STD from pitting near Jim.
    Sorry about that

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

How many racers have put stickers over the shell damage to their helmets in order to pass tech and didn't worry about the helmet being compromised? How does compression to a small area of the foam in comparison to the rest of the coverage area of the helmet defeat a helmet working properly?

There's been more than one crash this season, how many people suffered head injury due to the eject system being installed in their helmet?

...these are real questions, not retorical.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    How many racers have put stickers over the shell damage to their helmets in order to pass tech and didn't worry about the helmet being compromised? How does compression to a small area of the foam in comparison to the rest of the coverage area of the helmet defeat a helmet working properly?

There's been more than one crash this season, how many people suffered head injury due to the eject system being installed in their helmet?

...these are real questions, not retorical.
    That is the wrong way of looking at it. The existing data sample is too small to draw a conclusion from.

That there is a possibility for the Eject hose-compromised shells to prevent the helmet from doing its job of protecting your noggin should raise red flags. I don't care that I have spent the money on the Eject system. It was only $50. My head (and presumably yours) is worth infinitely more than that.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

Ah yes...that's it! Motorcycle racing isn't for anyone who disagrees with this item being a requirement.

The fact that you would rely on your personal inspection in your living room over having the mfg perform an inspection with supporting documentation speaks volumes of your standpoint. I don't expect you to understand the risks involved with modifying the only item deisgned to protect your head.

Since LRRS is okay with tech passing these damaged helmets then anything that has been crashed or is out of date should be more than sufficient from here on in.....HJC's included

You already said you will never race LRRS again...so you are here to.....troll?

Cool story bro.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    That is the wrong way of looking at it. The existing data sample is too small to draw a conclusion from.

That there is a possibility for the Eject hose-compromised shells to prevent the helmet from doing its job of protecting your noggin should raise red flags. I don't care that I have spent the money on the Eject system. It was only $50. My head (and presumably yours) is worth infinitely more than that.
    Just saying it seems to be a little blown out of proportion. I'm not pro or against the eject system, it's not going to stop me from racing next year. I looked at my helmet and the 1/8th inch by 1.5" long depression it left in the foam not even a 1/16" deep is probably not going defeat the rest of the foam in the helmet from absorbing a hit.

I'm no expert, but if one of you has proof to the opposite, post a link.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post

Cool story bro.

Is that the best you can do? Poorly constructed attacks? As I have said several times in this thread, my sole motivation for being vocal about this is because my friends are out there being forced to use this safety hazard at Loudon. Plain and simple.

It's clear you love your LRRS Koolaid but you don't have to take my comments personally. Put me on ignore. Simple and clean but you won't because you love your Hateraid too. Such a conflicted young man....

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

....We are talking about a pretty minor helmet modification here...
    your helmet owners manual clearly states not to modify it at all
    And I have inspected my helmet and haven't seen any structural damage to the liner. I also had a highside in the last weekend that caused me to smack my head hard enough to spyderweb most of the foam. Didn't see any evidence that the eject system had compromised the helmet in anyway.
    OH! i didnt realize you had x ray technology at your house and have experience in the field of helmet testing

its not the bladder....

Cool story bro.
    maybe if this wasnt required he would. besides, even if the dents its leaving in some helmets DOESNT compromise the helmet, shouldnt you at least be concerned with whether or not the system that is required is actually being used by the track safety team and whether or not it even works. Lou has already stated that his didnt work. if LRRS told you you had to wear swimmies on your arms while racing in the rain so you wouldnt drown...would you?

Just saying it seems to be a little blown out of proportion. I'm not pro or against the eject system, it's not going to stop me from racing next year. I looked at my helmet and the 1/8th inch by 1.5" long depression it left in the foam not even a 1/16" deep is probably not going defeat the rest of the foam in the helmet from absorbing a hit.

so what youre saying is you dont know if its compromising the integrity of the helmet either

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

Is that the best you can do? Poorly constructed attacks? As I have said several times in this thread, my sole motivation for being vocal about this is because my friends are out there being forced to use this safety hazard at Loudon. Plain and simple.

It's clear you love your LRRS Koolaid but you don't have to take my comments personally. Put me on ignore. Simple and clean but you won't because you love your Hateraid too. Such a conflicted young man....
    all poking fun aside, i havent raced in a few years either but that doesnt make mine or anyone elses opinions any less viable. I, like bergs, still have a lot of friends and acquaintances out there and i want to be sure that everyone stays safe. even though you and bergs dont see eye to eye on this matter im sure he doesnt want to read a crash report where you got injured due to something that could have been prevented.

i think that anyone thats got a helmet that shows some damage should have it inspected and Lou should look into why his didnt work. after those facts are gathered, if something unsafe comes up then the idea needs to be looked into before requiring it for another year.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

It's not a depression in the foam. It is just the tube getting stuck to the paint of the inside of the liner. When the tube is pulled up it takes the paint off the inside of the helmet which reveals the white foam.

It's not a depression in the foam. It is just the tube getting stuck to the paint of the inside of the liner. When the tube is pulled up it takes the paint off the inside of the helmet which reveals the white foam.
    Smutty,

I like racing with you, or at least behind you, and I like bullshitting with you in the pits but I'm not sure why you are so vocal against the concerns that are being raised.

My helmet at least DOES have a depression in the foam. It not just pulling the paint off. The tube fits nicely between the padding and I would not have though it would cause any damage.
    Arai emailed me back and wants all the info on my helmet. The will then give me a return authorization number and the address in PA where to send it. I'll leave the decision in their hands. If it damaged my 900 dollar helmet, which I bought specifically because it has emergency pull tap for the check pads, you can beat that I will be vocal about this device. ESPECIALLY since not one way used all year!

How can you object to this?

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

the picture of Jake's helmet it does look like a depression in the foam. my helmet does have a depression in the foam. if it was just paint then it wouldn't be such a big deal but its the foam which IS a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    the picture of Jake's helmet it does look like a depression in the foam. my helmet does have a depression in the foam. if it was just paint then it wouldn't be such a big deal but its the foam which IS a big deal.
    The paint pulls up a little bit of the top of the foam which creates the depression that you see. The humidity causes the tube to stick to the paint.

The paint pulls up a little bit of the top of the foam which creates the depression that you see. The humidity causes the tube to stick to the paint.
    so how is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    so how is that ok?
    I don't know if it is, but the system could be modified easy enough to keep the problem from happening. Could wrap the hose, spray a rubber coating on the hose, or something else creative.

I was trying to stay out of this as best I can but this is where you are wrong. Feel free to come out here and feel the indentation made by the tube in my helmet. It wasnt cause by humidity, its not and optical illusion, and I dont believe I rode through a gravitational field that only affected the hose.

James

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I was trying to stay out of this as best I can but this is where you are wrong. Feel free to come out here and feel the indentation made by the tube in my helmet. It wasnt cause by humidity, its not and optical illusion, and I dont believe I rode through a gravitational field that only affected the hose.
    You can feel it dude...look at your hose..their is probably paint and foam stuck to it...

And that Paint is there for a Reason....also. So, when the foam or inside of the helmet is compromised it is easily seen and can be noted. If it was all just white foam that would make it a lot harder to see and evaluate the damage.

We need an Arai tech to chime in on this: All of this un-educated BS isn't going to help anything......

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    We need an Arai tech to chime in on this: All of this un-educated BS isn't going to help anything......
    That's why I suggested people send their helmets in for evaluation. Not everyone is wearing Arai, as I'm sure you know.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

theres no dent in my shoei...but thats because i didnt install this silly thing

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    theres no dent in my shoei...but thats because i didnt install this silly thing
    Because you don't race....

You can feel it dude...look at your hose..their is probably paint and foam stuck to it...
    Ya no shit I can feel it. New helmet has paint gone but no dent yet. I do know the difference between a compression dent and loss of material. Once again come on out here and see for yourself.

James

I don't know if it is, but the system could be modified easy enough to keep the problem from happening. Could wrap the hose, spray a rubber coating on the hose, or something else creative.
    For some reason it seems you cannot grasp the problem here. Let me explain some things here for you. the foam is meant to compress when your head comes to a stop by hitting something (the ground, a wall, whatever). The foam slows the rate of acceleration of your head. each manufacturer decides on how thick the foam should be. the tube of the eject system compressing the foam means you have less crumple zone to slow your head down. adding more stuff around the tube is only going to make the problem WORSE.

I don't get why this is so hard for you to understand.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!