Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Gearing for VIR

Duncanmoto.com

Gearing for VIR

Hey,

I raced at loudon last year on an SV, and this year I will be on a R6. In march I am going to VIR for a WERA race. The R6 is geared for Loudon, and I'm wondering if anyone has raced a middleweight at VIR, and what gearing change I might make if any. Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

Re: Gearing for VIR

All depends on lap times.

Loudon is typically a 1:3 ratio (15:45) for most 600's if you're running in the 1:20-1:23 region.

For VIR, you'll need to be a couple down on the rear, maybe 15:43. Without knowing your lap times, it's a bit hit and miss, but generally think about 1 up on the front or a couple or 3 down on the rear for VIR.

Had an OEM-geared 929 nearly maxxed on the straight, used 2nd thru 4th most everywhere else except the straight.

I'd say try the factory gearing first and bring either a +1 front or at least a -1 rear sprocket just in case.

Run about a 15/47 and you should be ok, that's what I ran down there on my R6 and it was fine. Loudon gearing is about 15/49. I'm not sure why lap times should affect gearing but you know how to ride, that'll work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Run about a 15/47 and you should be ok, that's what I ran down there on my R6 and it was fine. Loudon gearing is about 15/49. I'm not sure why lap times should affect gearing but you know how to ride, that'll work.
    Wow. I think you're in a small minority running 15/49 at Loudon, Ryan.

I was running 15/45 on my 636 at VIR North and running out of revs at an indicated 186mph on the straight. I would have run out of revs at the tree with 15/47 in top gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wow. I think you're in a small minority running 15/49 at Loudon, Ryan.

I was running 15/45 on my 636 at VIR North and running out of revs at an indicated 186mph on the straight. I would have run out of revs at the tree with 15/47 in top gear.
    Yea I'd say anywhere between 45-47 would be fine...I didn't really have any trouble w/ a 47 on there (it was the smallest I had).

As far as Loudon goes, at least on the 2nd gen R6 15/49 is kind of the sweet spot...even 15/50 until you learn to carry a bit more corner speed. Its what was suggested to me by some of the uber-quicks, so I tried it and it helped a lot. I used to run a 47 and it worked great but I was shifting a ton, going up some more let me just carry 3rd in a lot of places instead of bouncing between 2nd/3rd. I know a lot of guys that run similar ratios.

Banned

Yea I'd say anywhere between 45-47 would be fine...I didn't really have any trouble w/ a 47 on there (it was the smallest I had).

As far as Loudon goes, at least on the 2nd gen R6 15/49 is kind of the sweet spot...even 15/50 until you learn to carry a bit more corner speed. Its what was suggested to me by some of the uber-quicks, so I tried it and it helped a lot. I used to run a 47 and it worked great but I was shifting a ton, going up some more let me just carry 3rd in a lot of places instead of bouncing between 2nd/3rd. I know a lot of guys that run similar ratios.
    Yeah, I guess if you're carrying 3rd and you're on a peaky bike that needs 9 or 10k to carry hp. I was racing with an f4i with 110hp against 03 r6's with similar. We really needed 2nd gear for many corners so 15/42 to 15/45 was our range.

I'm still confused about 15/47 at VIR though. Seems like was to big on the rear.

Yeah, I guess if you're carrying 3rd and you're on a peaky bike that needs 9 or 10k to carry hp. I was racing with an f4i with 110hp against 03 r6's with similar. We really needed 2nd gear for many corners so 15/42 to 15/45 was our range.

I'm still confused about 15/47 at VIR though. Seems like was to big on the rear.
    :shrug: worked for me at the time, my indicated was taped over but I know I never hit the limiter on the straight. We weren't putting along by any means, but I'm sure with more laps I may have had to drop some teeth.

You really ran 15/42 at Loudon? wow, thats quite a difference haha.

Banned

:shrug: worked for me at the time, my indicated was taped over but I know I never hit the limiter on the straight. We weren't putting along by any means, but I'm sure with more laps I may have had to drop some teeth.

You really ran 15/42 at Loudon? wow, thats quite a difference haha.
    LOL, no I never ran fast enough for 15/42, but i was running a 15/44 or 14/42 or 16/47 mostly.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

i get the loudon gearing but the VIR I'm lost too - at vir with that gearing you should be coming on the front straight at 100-110 and hitting the rev limiter by the tree

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

It may have been 16/47 ....but I don't think I ever did swap the front sprocket. I can't remember. After a quick search on the wera board seems like 16/47 is what they recommend.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

It may have been 16/47 ....but I don't think I ever did swap the front sprocket. I can't remember. After a quick search on the wera board seems like 16/47 is what they recommend.
    I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night... no worries

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Duncanmoto.com

Wow, I'm really confused. Thanks for all your input though, Hey ryan does that 05 I bought come with a stock slipper clutch. And so I'm sure you think I should run a 16/47 at VIR. And by the way, do you want to go?

636 and it was showing a indicated 186mph!!! AHAHA dude that's gotta be the most wacked out speedometer on the planet! I think I had the CBR600RR maxing out at 150-155mph indicated at the end of the straight, which is in line with what the AMA 600's are doing.

Damn man. I had a 1098 tapped out wide open at PIR (meeeeega long straight) and that only indicated 180mph, which is about it's true top speed.

lol 636 showing 186. man that's funny. that bike can't even break 160mph stock OEM. Damn speedo's are junk!

Boston --> San Diego

Banned

Yeah, I know. I'm just telling ya what it was indicating. I'm sure I was doing 150 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by kruse1022 View Post
    Wow, I'm really confused. Thanks for all your input though, Hey ryan does that 05 I bought come with a stock slipper clutch. And so I'm sure you think I should run a 16/47 at VIR. And by the way, do you want to go?
    Hey buddy, nah no slipper on the 05. They didn't start putting them in until the new generation in 06.

Unfortunately I don't think a trip this spring is in the cards, which sucks... maybe in the fall though.