Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Getting into Flat Tracking

Getting into Flat Tracking

These current times have left me thinking of ways to increase seat time for when the “lock down” is released.

I am already in the process and crossing my fingers for the May 17th super camp in Delaware. Slim chance that it goes through unfortunately.

I have never been on a flat track. I have herd from everyone that this is something awesome and a lot more cost effective for seat time (when you’re not at the razor’s edge of performance and expert level that is).

Where is a good place to get specific gear? Are there flat track forums similar to the WERA forums? Used gear does not bother me.

I initially was thinking of an XR100 or equivalent mini with some street-ish tires (i.e. BT45s). I figured it could dual as a minimoto, little flat track and a 2nd set of wheels for ice. I’m a string bean coming in at a whopping 160#’s after a full dinner so I don’t need much power to get me along.

I was re thinking the bike choice to possibly a 250f that would Have the same setup (flat track, ice and possibly dirt) where I could also enduro it for some J-Days or up north trails.

I am limited to only adding one more bike to the stable so that’s why I was trying to get the most use out of it and let me feel like I am getting 2-3 bikes out of one.

Who here is a flat tracker or has had similar thoughts? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Getting into Flat Tracking

Paging Paul_E_D... Paul_E_D to the checkout, please

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

You would have a difficult time (suspension/chassis wise) getting a bike like the 250F to work for flat track, woods riding, ice, and moto. The setups are just too different. You could pick up a spare set of forks and shock? CRF150 is probably the hot ticket for this.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Once the lockdown lifts, find out when one of the area tracks are doing an open practice day and go hang out. Even if you don't have a bike yet. Talk to the people running, odds are you'll get thrown on a bunch of bikes to see what you like and don't like. My sumo'd TT-R 125 didn't take to FT all that well, setup was all wrong, but the FT XR100s I rode were brilliant. Another plus for XR100s is they slot into just about every mini org.

CRF 100/150 is the way to go to get started. They are low enough that one setup can work for flat track, ice, dirt, etc. as long as you run the stock wheel sizes. Once you want FT specific wheels and tires, you are getting too specialized. That said, I have a 150 with both types of wheels and we do use it for everything. Flat track on dirt/clay ovals is a very tough discipline. starting on the little bikes is ideal for actual learning.

Paul_E_D