Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting Started with Track Riding

Re: Getting Started with Track Riding

Imbeek, I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TwelveGaugeSage View Post
    So I'd like to get out and try my first track day
    I don't see myself actually racing any time soon
    I could never afford to get into this kind of thing in the past, but I'm in a pretty good place financially right now.
    As the others have alluded to, your riding and spending habits are about to drastically change. I was you not too long ago. Write down your experiences, take pictures, make friends, enjoy the hell out of it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I did my first track day at Palmer with TTD and it was awesome. Lots of different bikes and paces and never felt like I was being pushed too hard. I took a beast of an old sport touring bike so I would rip down the straight bits then slowly white knuckle it through the corners. Instructors came out a few times and were pointing me in the right direction, pushing me a bit to pick up the pace and by end of day I was chewing up my rear pretty good and practically doubled my pace (from extra slow to slow lol).

I don't personally know anyone that rides on pavement on a regular basis and I'm a bit of a hermit/extreme introvert. So pretty much all I know about riding I either taught myself over the years, researched on the internet, or learned from forums like this one, though I have taken some MSF courses.
    Same same, I didn't know a single person who rode bikes when I started (street or dirt). Only really ridden with one other guy after a few years. I've always learned well on my own but getting around track riders who know their stuff was helpful. You can learn a lot online, NESR guys have all been a huge help at one time or another, and well.. practice practice practice.

I have noticed a lot of motorcycle guys have a "way" of doing things, and to them it's just "THE way". There's plenty of conflicting advice out there, I just absorb it all and find what works for me.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    As the others have alluded to, your riding and spending habits are about to drastically change. I was you not too long ago. Write down your experiences, take pictures, make friends, enjoy the hell out of it.
    What will be will be. I've wanted to drive/ride tracks since I first started driving. I have zero qualms about racing if I feel I am ready at some point, but I feel a bit overwhelmed just trying to get myself to do a track day, so I'm focusing on the short term. If I go crazy, so be it. You only live once!

I have a shitty but road worthy utility trailer, but think I would prefer simply riding to the track when I do pull the trigger. Any thoughts on this? I've never trailered a motorcycle, but I did by a bolt down chock and some proper(I think) straps to do it if I need to.

Also, do any of these orgs offer free or discounted newbie days? I've started looking into the different orgs and they all sound pretty great, which I am sure they are to have so many passionate members. NYST looks like a bit of a haul from me. TTD sounds up my alley, but so does Fishtail(and I hear there are a lot of Ducatis there). Penguin doesn't look like they come to Palmer much. Is there a membership fee on top of paying for the track day at any/all of these? I need a mentor.

Thanks again for putting up with my incessant questions!

On helmets, I've always cross referenced my desired helmet against the UK Sharp ratings. Rather than being a simple pass / fail test they show just how much energy the helmet absorbs / transfers. If the helmet doesn't get 5 stars or has any test that's worse than 'yellow' I move on. Shoei's Qwest for example does very well on this test, is SNELL so it's race approved, and doesn't cost crazy amounts.

I have a shitty but road worthy utility trailer, but think I would prefer simply riding to the track when I do pull the trigger. Any thoughts on this? I've never trailered a motorcycle, but I did by a bolt down chock and some proper(I think) straps to do it if I need to.

Also, do any of these orgs offer free or discounted newbie days? I've started looking into the different orgs and they all sound pretty great, which I am sure they are to have so many passionate members. NYST looks like a bit of a haul from me. TTD sounds up my alley, but so does Fishtail(and I hear there are a lot of Ducatis there). Penguin doesn't look like they come to Palmer much. Is there a membership fee on top of paying for the track day at any/all of these? I need a mentor.

Thanks again for putting up with my incessant questions!
    It's easy to trailer, much easier than a truck.

It's nice to have some tools, food, maybe extra gas, change of clothes, etc. but no reason you couldn't take the bike if you're close by. I'd pack a tire pressure monitor at a minimum - between sessions and classes you might not want to be rushing around looking for a borrow.

There are track day auctions here and on BoRN for TTD & Penguin sometimes, $150 isn't bad. I think one of them does a freebie lap or something - you come try it out and pay to stay or leave if you don't like it. No membership fees on top of track day costs, there are optional memberships that'll get you discounts.

Read up on TTD/Penguin websites they answer basically all of these questions and then some.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Getting Started with Track Riding-image-jpg
    Imbeek, I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.
    Size 54/44
    Joe rocket speedmaster, looks like it was down once lightly on right front side, but still in very good shape.
    $200 firm same as I paid, as I've never used it...never got small enough! Prior owner said it fit him well at 5'9 190, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Getting Started with Track Riding-image-jpg

Size 54/44
    Joe rocket speedmaster, looks like it was down once lightly on right front side, but still in very good shape.
    $200 firm same as I paid, as I've never used it...never got small enough! Prior owner said it fit him well at 5'9 190, I think.
    Did you buy that from me? What a blast from the past! If so, I'm 5'8" and did weigh 190-195, and bought it from another NESR member. I never crashed it, but it had gone down in its previous life. Don't let that bother you though, it is definitely a track worthy suit. I'd say that it is very American cut (wider in the gut and butt). Definitely could fit a taller person.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Yeah, been hanging in my closet ever since!

I'm a 9.5-10 boot, 34" inseam, 35"ish waist, and I'm 5'10"
    I am hovering around 165-170 pounds with a small dad gut and a really small frame.
    This might fit you and he's only one town over, definitely worth a try-on. Make sure you try on with a back protector underneath.
    AGV Sport One-piece Suit $250

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    This might fit you and he's only one town over, definitely worth a try-on. Make sure you try on with a back protector underneath.
    AGV Sport One-piece Suit $250
    AAMRR177 is my father. I just sent him an email to make sure he sees this thread. If you decide to meet up with him and the AGV suit doesn't fit, you can also try on my Rev'IT GT-R suit size 52 to get an idea how other brands may fit. The Rev'IT suit is not for sale, sorry.

Okay, Imbeek hooked me up with the suit, Tony had a back protector that works great, and I got some nice second hand Sidi Vortices from a fellow in New York. All I need now are some knee sliders. Any recommendations? Are they all pretty much the same or is there something I should look for?

Most people don't need knee sliders for a while. Just sayin'
    Okay, Imbeek hooked me up with the suit, Tony had a back protector that works great, and I got some nice second hand Sidi Vortices from a fellow in New York. All I need now are some knee sliders. Any recommendations? Are they all pretty much the same or is there something I should look for?

Usually there is someone selling knee pucks at the track days or someone will have some worn ones they can give to you, but yeah with a taller bike it might be a while before you need them

Sounds good to me! I'm in no hurry to lean that tall mofo way over.

Long legged people can get on their knee quickly. Many of us use klucky pucks from woodcraft. Being new to this, you may touch a bit, but it's unlikely that you will be dragging it hard. I wouldn't worry about a specific brand and just get whatever is easy, just in case, so you don't fuck up that suit.

On the greater subject, I was in your shoes 5 or 6 years ago, I'm sure that I made a thread like this. Now, I'm well into racing and hunting for podiums. It's like a drug and can change your life. Don't try to hard at first, enjoy yourself, speed will come, but give yourself a few days before you hunt for it.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12