Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GP Shift – How Much Time To Feel Normal?

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

GP Shift – How Much Time To Feel Normal?

I think I want to GP shift my EX. There are a couple sections on the track where I need to upshift while leaned over, and it sucks. Especially coming out of the bowl, where the bike is cranked over to the left. Riding CEO’s R6 for a few seconds yesterday confirmed this for me, it just felt more natural. Down to go faster, up to slow when I’m braking anyway. My experience on GP shift machines is very limited, and even though it felt great for a few seconds on Chris’ bike I’m not sure that I won’t miss a couple shifts in a race situation getting used to it. So… I’m left with the question: When do I make the switch?

Part of me says as soon as possible. I have not ridden the EX much yet, so it makes sense to get it out of the way before I get tooo used to the old config. Another part of me says to wait until after the classic weekend, because the place is going to be far more busy than usual, and missing a shift could be a much bigger deal.

I don’t have anything on the street currently, so I can’t get used to it there.

Thoughts? Discuss.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: GP Shift – How Much Time To Feel Normal?

2 laps.

Well that is what it took me this weekend. Getting back on the GP shift Hawk from my regular shift 998.

Alex told me to just remember when you pop UP to slow down you shift up, when you get down to go faster you shift down. (Except 1st)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

That's the kind of response I was hoping to hear. Sweet.

Random Q: If you have 1 bike GP, why not just do it to all of them? Assuming I make the conversion here, which I think I will, I think I'll just GP everything I ride from this point forward (excluding dirt bikes).

Shit... just remembered something. Depending how serious they were, I might be doing the endurance race that allows EX's on Monday w/ Kurlon and Lowsider on Monday after the classic. We'd be using my bike. I'm not doing the back and forth and back again for that, and I wouldn't expect the two of them to learn GP shift for that one race. Looks like I'll be doing it for the weekend after the classic... unless we are not going to do that Monday race in which case I could still do it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    That's the kind of response I was hoping to hear. Sweet.

Random Q: If you have 1 bike GP, why not just do it to all of them? Assuming I make the conversion here, which I think I will, I think I'll just GP everything I ride from this point forward (excluding dirt bikes).

Shit... just remembered something. Depending how serious they were, I might be doing the endurance race that allows EX's on Monday w/ Kurlon and Lowsider on Monday after the classic. We'd be using my bike. I'm not doing the back and forth and back again for that, and I wouldn't expect the two of them to learn GP shift for that one race. Looks like I'll be doing it for the weekend after the classic... unless we are not going to do that Monday race in which case I could still do it before.
    Monday isn't the endurance, that's July. And I'm pretty sure I can learn GP on the fly.

Oh, cool. For some reason I thought that was Monday. Does that mean there's nothing Monday I can run without a belly pan? Either way I REALLY want to be GP shift before July. I like your "learn on the fly" attitude. I wonder how Harrison would feel about this?

Either way right now I'm leaning toward doing it for the classic. If I don't get it down in an AM practice session I can always switch it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Some bikes simply aren't straight forward enough to just swap 'em around. Some require linkage kits that some folk aren't willing to spend...

That being said, every bike/quad I own has totally different controls. Other than my Raptor & TL-R having the brakes & clutch where they should be, all others are different. But every shift pattern is different: I've got 'GP' on my TL-R, 'regular' on my Raptor and on my Arctic Cat quad you upshift with your heal and downshift with your toe. I really have no difficulty going from one to another. You'll get used to it in no time...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

yeah, a session or two. I used to go back and forth with GP on the GSXR and standard on the KTM. I'd have a brainfart now and again, but overall, no big deal.
    I'd prefer GP on both bikes, but it's too much work on the KTM since the shifter mounts straight onto the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Some bikes simply aren't straight forward enough to just swap 'em around. Some require linkage kits that some folk aren't willing to spend...

That being said, every bike/quad I own has totally different controls. Other than my Raptor & TL-R having the brakes & clutch where they should be, all others are different. But every shift pattern is different: I've got 'GP' on my TL-R, 'regular' on my Raptor and on my Arctic Cat quad you upshift with your heal and downshift with your toe. I really have no difficulty going from one to another. You'll get used to it in no time...
    Cool, thanks for the input on the transition and the explanation as to why someone would run both setups on different bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    yeah, a session or two. I used to go back and forth with GP on the GSXR and standard on the KTM. I'd have a brainfart now and again, but overall, no big deal.
    I'd prefer GP on both bikes, but it's too much work on the KTM since the shifter mounts straight onto the shaft.
    Sweet. See my same thanks to stoneman above.

I swapped both my race bike (00 sv650) and my street bike (07 zx6r). When I was focusing on the GP shift or was under pressure I had no issues... but whenever I was goofing off or on a cool down lap chilling I tended to botch a shift.

I love it now.

Fitz

I got used to it right from the start...but I can see some people having trouble adjusting to it.

Make sure you put some sort notice on the bike so that others (ummm...maybe cornerworkers) can find neutral in a hurry. Just sayin...

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    I swapped both my race bike (00 sv650) and my street bike (07 zx6r). When I was focusing on the GP shift or was under pressure I had no issues... but whenever I was goofing off or on a cool down lap chilling I tended to botch a shift.

I love it now.

Fitz
    Better then than in a race situation!

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    I got used to it right from the start...but I can see some people having trouble adjusting to it.
    Cool. I’m going to try it, worst case I don’t adjust fast enough (as in before the end of practice) and it goes back.

Quote Originally Posted by thepaperboy View Post
    Make sure you put some sort notice on the bike so that others (ummm...maybe cornerworkers) can find neutral in a hurry. Just sayin...
    Yeah, the lady in the golf cart has special windshield stickers for the GP shift bikes, but I’m going to put it on the tank as well, just to make it real clear. Good thought, but I'm all over it. I won't leave a CW trying to figure out where neutral is.

i always remember it as, I want my rpm's to go down, i click down, I want the rpm's to go up, Click Up.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

You will get in in no time. Do it.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.