Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV

GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV

I'm planning on moving to the GSXR 600 06/07 armour bodies for my 1st gen SV, and I was wondering if anyone has experience on mounting the tail. I wanted a superbike tail, and since I was going to fabricate an aluminum subframe anyway (the stock steel one is super heavy, I think Snowman said 13lbs in a different forum) I figure building in the mounts for the GSXR bodywork and not the SV would be a solid plan.

So... has anyone here mounted the GSXR bodywork on a 1st gen SV? Where'd you mount it? If you were going to fabricate a subframe for this, what would it look like and where would the bodywork mount? I'm hoping to have a head start on all this before I get the tail, I was thinking something similar to the BRG one, without as prominent a hoop.
    GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV-svsubframe1-jpg
    GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV-svsubframe2-jpg

Any thoughts? Anyone with a GSXR tail mind letting me borrow it to mock this up?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV

R&R is another option without the hoop. It's what I am using w/ my superbike tail.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Is that another company? I have a TIG and a tube bender, I figured making my own means I can afford more track time. You feel comfy sharing dimensions? I just want a starting point.

I have a whole tail you can have.......its a no name knock off. But its yours if you want it. Perfect for a SV as its a little snug for the OEM gsxr fit.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

GSXR 06/07 Tail Mount on 1st gen SV-1017243_10151748227358413_326012059_n-jpg

That is the best picture I have. It isnt terribly difficult to do. You will need to trim away some of the bottom of the tail section as the SV subframe spurs are wider than the GSXR. Once that is done you just need to use a flat piece of aluminum bar stock to make your hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post

That is the best picture I have. It isnt terribly difficult to do. You will need to trim away some of the bottom of the tail section as the SV subframe spurs are wider than the GSXR. Once that is done you just need to use a flat piece of aluminum bar stock to make your hoop.
    I'm starting from scratch, so I can make the spars narrower, but that helps a lot. examples of what kind of "adjusting" people had to do to make it fit help a lot.