Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

How do you guys do it???

Re: How do you guys do it???

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    That would be the car racers...
    Hence why I stopped racing cars.

Fitz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Anyone know of a girl with a house or stocks/bonds that I could liquidate?

My neighbor's a bit of a cougar who needs someone to pick up the mortgage she's a few months behind on.

Fitz

I race vintage Only 4 races a season, I can run tires two seasons easy, old clunkers like my CB are a dime a dozen, I can corner work to avoid the gate fee and the entry fees are cheaper to boot. The start up cost was killer, but now its smooth sailing. Once you pick up racing though, all other hobbies must die- I'm killing myself paying for tae kwon do and racing this year, you can guess which one is going bye bye at the end of my contract

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Really interesting hearing everyone's 2 cents on this. I'm currently just a track rider who tries to get out about 8-9 trackdays per season. After doing a mock sprint race I've been considering going for my racing licence but now I'm not so sure. Money is always an issue as I don't really have much extra cash on hand after paying all my bills. Actually, I've learned to budget myself pretty well. But my bigger problem is time/commitment. With a wife and two young'uns it's nearly impossible to take off to a racetrack for more than a single day. Oh well...I guess I'll just stick to trackdays...for now.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw View Post
    Really interesting hearing everyone's 2 cents on this. I'm currently just a track rider who tries to get out about 8-9 trackdays per season. After doing a mock sprint race I've been considering going for my racing licence but now I'm not so sure. Money is always an issue as I don't really have much extra cash on hand after paying all my bills. Actually, I've learned to budget myself pretty well. But my bigger problem is time/commitment. With a wife and two young'uns it's nearly impossible to take off to a racetrack for more than a single day. Oh well...I guess I'll just stick to trackdays...for now.
    Couple things.
    1) Don't listen to the new guy.
    2) Hi, I'm Dan, the new guy.
    3) I see a lot of people race on the cheap. They only do 1 race/weekend, sometimes CW the other to cover gate and part of their race, bring food, it's not too bad.
    4) I see some guys do one race and go home, because of time.
    5) I can't imagine racing and not wanting to be competitive. That means (to me) tires, which can be once a race or once a season doing 2-3 races/weekend depending on the bike, tire warmers if you're chicken and don't trust them to warm up on the warmup lap (that's me) or if you have a bike/tires that really requires them, and possibly bike work depending on the bike. I race an EX, they are pretty bullet proof.
    6) A helmet that passes track day tech will not necessarily pass race tech. Be prepared to replace your helmet if you crash.
    7) Leathers that pass track day tech don't always pass race tech. Leathers can be had on the cheap if you find a deal.
    8) Some guys only race a few times a year. I couldn't do it. I said that's what I was going to do when I started, now 3 weekends in I can't see missing a race weekend.
    9) You sound most of the way there to me. Welcome to the addiction.

That all said, theres an effort to make LRRS more of a family affair, theres talk of a "kids area" where kids will be able to ride their bikes and whatnot away from motorcycles flying around etc etc. Get the Mrs involved if you can, taking pictures, helping in the pit and stuff. Theres always a way to feed the addiction.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

why not just get a job that has a high income?

investment bankers, dentists, lawyers, anesthesiologist assistant, traveling sales/consulting (have to be traveling), own a convenience store or franchise, physician assistant etc. make good money

Lol, then you wouldn't have the time or energy required to race. Funny how life works.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by madkaw View Post
    Do a race on Saturday and a race on Sunday. That is including 4 practices. That is $120 for pre-entry or $140 for post. Or just occasionally race and do Test and Tunes on Thursday(only licensed racers) for $100. License fee divided by 8 is $15 per week. Take the family with you. Camping is cheaper at the track than at state campgrounds. Hookups included. Tenting allowed. How much is a trackday?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Couple things.
    1) Don't listen to the new guy.
    2) Hi, I'm Dan, the new guy.
    3) I see a lot of people race on the cheap. They only do 1 race/weekend, sometimes CW the other to cover gate and part of their race, bring food, it's not too bad.
    4) I see some guys do one race and go home, because of time.
    5) I can't imagine racing and not wanting to be competitive. That means (to me) tires, which can be once a race or once a season doing 2-3 races/weekend depending on the bike, tire warmers if you're chicken and don't trust them to warm up on the warmup lap (that's me) or if you have a bike/tires that really requires them, and possibly bike work depending on the bike. I race an EX, they are pretty bullet proof.
    6) A helmet that passes track day tech will not necessarily pass race tech. Be prepared to replace your helmet if you crash.
    7) Leathers that pass track day tech don't always pass race tech. Leathers can be had on the cheap if you find a deal.
    8) Some guys only race a few times a year. I couldn't do it. I said that's what I was going to do when I started, now 3 weekends in I can't see missing a race weekend.
    9) You sound most of the way there to me. Welcome to the addiction.
    People should not be on the track/street with inferior equipment.

okay, just going to throw this out there. yes people do race on the cheap but, at the end of the day it is not that cheap anyway you slice it
    the time and money commitment probably ranks club racing up there with one of the most expensive hobbies. if you are super close on your budget right now and don't plan on finding an additional source of income, don't start racing. if you are not well disciplined in managing your time and/or money, don't start racing. i don't want to talk anyone out of roadracing, it is the greatest sport out there, but it can get all-consuming very quickly.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Do a race on Saturday and a race on Sunday. That is including 4 practices. That is $120 for pre-entry or $140 for post. Or just occasionally race and do Test and Tunes on Thursday(only licensed racers) for $100. License fee divided by 8 is $15 per week. Take the family with you. Camping is cheaper at the track than at state campgrounds. Hookups included. Tenting allowed. How much is a trackday?
    You can also just race one day and practice both, I believe. Not sure as I've been doing a race each day, but it's what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    People should not be on the track/street with inferior equipment.
    Where did I suggest they should be? I'm just saying a scratch on a helmet that you'd still use on the street might not make race tech, and the leathers required for racing are more than what's required for a track day, and more than what most people wear on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    okay, just going to throw this out there. yes people do race on the cheap but, at the end of the day it is not that cheap anyway you slice it
    the time and money commitment probably ranks club racing up there with one of the most expensive hobbies. if you are super close on your budget right now and don't plan on finding an additional source of income, don't start racing. if you are not well disciplined in managing your time and/or money, don't start racing. i don't want to talk anyone out of roadracing, it is the greatest sport out there, but it can get all-consuming very quickly.
    The part in bold is what I meant by saying I can't imagine not doing it every weekend, only doing one race, or not having warmers, good tires, etc. It became completely all-consuming for me just about as soon as I started. I've done 3 weekends and it's the #1 thing I think about.

You can practice both days.

I'm curious what constitutes "race approved" leathers as opposed to "track day approved".

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Bergs View Post
    You can practice both days.

I'm curious what constitutes "race approved" leathers as opposed to "track day approved".
    Some trackdays allow textile gear.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I guess leathers was the wrong word, I guess if it's leather you can probably use it to race if it'd pass a TD tech, I think they need to zip either way? I'm pretty sure that you can use textile for some TDs though, and I don't think you can to race? Like I said, don't listen to the new guy, and I'm the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Some trackdays allow textile gear.

Thanks for that tidbit, Richie.

Leathers get teched at trackdays? First I heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Bergs View Post
    Leathers get teched at trackdays? First I heard...
    Hah, I've seen some duct tape horror shows on track... only thing that gets teched gear wise is your helmet. Someone tech-ing my gloves would have saved me some hurt last April...

Racing is only as expensive as you want to make it. You can start out on a reasonably priced bike, with minimal tire consumption and maintenance costs. However, the faster you want to go, the more expensive it's going to get. And the addiction makes you want to do nothing but go FASTER.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    Racing is only as expensive as you want to make it. You can start out on a reasonably priced bike, with minimal tire consumption and maintenance costs. However, the faster you want to go, the more expensive it's going to get. And the addiction makes you want to do nothing but go FASTER.
    he hit it right on the head. You can race for $X (X being how much you want to spend racing).... but its racing, and you'll get competitive, and its easy to justify every penny you can pinch to improve your results and get faster.

Financially, I never should have raced. I went to the track to experience it... 3 years later I found myself with 3 race bikes in my garage, a new trailer, a new truck to tow the trailer, bins full of parts and equipment... 2 stacks of take-offs as tall as I am...

and I've never once regretted a single dollar I spent on it, and can't wait to get back into it (once I can responsibly afford it)

I sell my body parts.............

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    thats what im afraid of is money. almost saved up enough for my first season

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    investment bankers, dentists, lawyers, anesthesiologist
    How many of those do you see up at the track?

They're all off playing golf.... buncha pussies....

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Hence why I stopped racing cars.

Fitz
    me too

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by maithairyder View Post
    thats what im afraid of is money. almost saved up enough for my first season
    Whatever you think is enough, double it ... then plan on spending a little more than that. (=

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast