Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who wants to do some Gymkhana?

Who wants to do some Gymkhana?

Hey guys - I just signed up to this forum. I frequent ZRXOA.org forums but I wanted to get in touch with riders closer to home in the hopes of finding a gymkhana event or getting one set up.

Whether they'll admit it or not, many riders are not very good at low-speed turning, breaking and maneuvering. Gymkhana (or as I like to call it: Parking lot racing!) is a great way to hone those every-day skills you use on the street and of course - hang out with other riders. We've all seen the videos of wicked good Japanese dudes whipping around cones but there's barely anyone doing it in the states. Although it's possible I'm just out of touch with motorcycle events in New England. Have there been any Gymkhana events in recent history around here?

Is anyone here even interested in participating in a Gymkhana event? I'm trying to figure out if there's enough interest in it to get one started somewhere in MA or NH. Is there anyone here interested in helping to organize a gymkhana event? Does anyone here know the organizers of MCN in Lowell? Anyone working for Ironstone Ventures? Maybe they'd help out? I don't know I'm just shooting in the dark right now but it can't be that hard - we need some cones, a parking lot, and a way to spread the word. Who's with me?

Some links for you if I've got your attention:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Who wants to do some Gymkhana?

Welcome. I am terrible at such things and would definitely give it a try.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I will do it on my 100

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_McTookis View Post
    Whether they'll admit it or not, many riders are not very good at low-speed breaking
    Speak for yourself, I can break with the best of 'em.
    Sounds like fun, good luck with your idea!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I'd really like to try this, but my understanding is that the insurance is unobtainium.

- American Motorcycle Gymkhana

We be chapter less....

Insurance? For the event holders or the participants?

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    I'd really like to try this, but my understanding is that the insurance is unobtainium.
    There is no special insurance needed. It's literally just riding in a parking lot. You're all set on the insurance front. Worst case scenario you drop your bike at 10mph.

There is no special insurance needed. It's literally just riding in a parking lot. You're all set on the insurance front. Worst case scenario you drop your bike at 10mph.
    You're organizing an event... whomever's parking lot you're using will require YOU to be insured for such a thing.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

NHMS would probably be the best place for such a thing. lots of lot space/ skid pad
    Seacoast Harley in north hampton NH does the police competition in their parking lot every year. thats essentially a gymkhana event but on harleys

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'm in if this happened! I've seen it on the youtubes, never heard of it around here though.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Insurance? For the event holders or the participants?
    For the event holders. Whenever I talk to people who are into autocross, I ask about bikes and they always immediately say something about insurance for bikes. Maybe they're just silly car people and that's all B.S.

I am sure the owner of any parking lot would require the organizers to have insurance. They would want to be protected from anything that could go wrong.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

For the event holders. Whenever I talk to people who are into autocross, I ask about bikes and they always immediately say something about insurance for bikes. Maybe they're just silly car people and that's all B.S.
    I've talked to folk running Autocross at NHMS, their insurance doesn't cover bikes so bikes cannot run with them. Getting a policy for a bike only event would be much easier than trying to convince an insurer that bikes and cars can play nicely on the same piece of pavement.

well lets be realistic. if someone screws up in a car they take out a couple cones or spin out. the chances of a rollover or careening into something immovable in practically nil. whereas, even at 20mph, you can still highside yourself to the moon and hurt yourself pretty good.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    ... even at 20mph, you can still hurt yourself pretty good.
    Why you gotta call me out like that? ;-)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    well lets be realistic. if someone screws up in a car they take out a couple cones or spin out. the chances of a rollover or careening into something immovable in practically nil. whereas, even at 20mph, you can still highside yourself to the moon and hurt yourself pretty good.
    I don't disagree. I'm just saying that I haven't seen an event like this and that it's because event holder insurance is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You're organizing an event... whomever's parking lot you're using will require YOU to be insured for such a thing.
    Ah, good point. I guess I ought to ask a lawyer. I've read about some events held in Alabama where riders had to sign a waiver to participate. A waiver clearing the landowner and event organizers from any liability for injury or damage. I hope we could do the same thing in MA.

Still just in the dream phase. I'm sending emails off to NHMS, penguin racing, and Mass. Motorcycle school. If i'm really lucky one might be interested in helping. If anyone has or finds useful information that could help make gymkhana a reality in new england, drop it off in this thread!

Last edited by Pat_McTookis; 01-03-16 at 06:54 PM. Reason: needed more words.

Ah, good point. I guess I ought to ask a lawyer. I've read about some events held in Alabama where riders had to sign a waiver to participate. A waiver clearing the landowner and event organizers from any liability for injury or damage. I hope we could do the same thing in MA.

Still just in the dream phase. I'm sending emails off to NHMS, penguin racing, and Mass. Motorcycle school. If i'm really lucky one might be interested in helping. If anyone has or finds useful information that could help make gymkhana a reality in new england, drop it off in this thread!

I'd probably have to put a +12 rear sprocket on my liter bike to keep it at the needed speeds for this, but it looks like fun and I'd be in if it gets organized!!

I know the ice races in Sturbridge make participants and spectators both sign a waiver incase of injury and if they are able to be covered with all those dirty bikes bashing each other on ice and shooting studs everywhere then I can't see this low speed sport having as much trouble as been implied previously. Hell if we can't find someone to agree to let us use their lot then there's plenty of abandoned lots out there!!

I've just sent an email to Mass. Motorcycle School (formerly Ironstone Ventures). I think they are particularly well suited for this kind of event since they already have a big stash of cones and access to a big hunk of Bunker Hill CC's parking lot for their classes. I realize this is highly unlikely to happen but hey, I can dream. If they charge a small entry fee, it might even be a good business opportunity for them. If you build it, they will come, right?

If all else fails I'll just find a parking lot to throw some cones on and invite you guys to come down and do some figure 8's with me.

Last edited by Pat_McTookis; 01-03-16 at 08:05 PM. Reason: words

I've just sent an email to Mass. Motorcycle School (formerly Ironstone Ventures). I think they are particularly well suited for this kind of event since they already have a big stash of cones and access to a big hunk of Bunker Hill CC's parking lot for their classes. I realize this is highly unlikely to happen but hey, I can dream. If they charge a small entry fee, it might even be a good business opportunity for them. If you build it, they will come, right?

If all else fails I'll just find a parking lot to throw some cones on and invite you guys to come down and do some figure 8's with me.
    I am sure Dave at Mass MC School carries alot of insurance. MotorCycle Night is a forum sponsor. I am sure you can contact Steve through here. If you have trouble let me know and I'll help you get in contact with him.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I am sure Dave at Mass MC School carries alot of insurance. MotorCycle Night is a forum sponsor. I am sure you can contact Steve through here. If you have trouble let me know and I'll help you get in contact with him.
    Thanks! I sent an email off to Dave at his Mass MC school address. Let's hope for a positive reply. I will contact Steve from MCN ASAP.

In the mean time I have created a Google+ community for this cause. I'd encourage anyone interested to join as this would show our potential hosts that riders are actually interested in attending a moto gymkhana event. The community is: New England Moto Gymkhana.

I work at the motorcycle riding school at cycles 128, been there for over ten years. I helped organize and set up for the Masters of Mini series until it met an untimely end last year.

Mr Tookis I pm'ed you my #, if you can provide reasonable answers to the questions my bosses are going to ask I am probably your best bet to make this happen.

you cant do anything in MA.

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    I helped organize and set up for the Masters of Mini series until it met an untimely end last year.
    so you were to blame for the hillclimb and warehouse sections...well fuck you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast