Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My half year report, cliff note version

My half year report, cliff note version

Not much good at this and will keep it short..
    I race Ex LW GP on Saturday. LW50,LW Superbike on Sunday
    Bike is a 2004 Ducati 1100cc DS SS
    Rider is 61 with 25 years of racing experience. Late bloomer I guess?
    Its been a pretty good year so far.. Bike runs awesome and is Fast making up for the rider that's ok to good.. but getting better..
    My starts suck (and that's being nice) nothing I have tried has worked Front row to the end of the train every time.... It has been fun racing and passing people every race although they might disagree!
    That being said my finishes have been better then I excepted. and I have learned how to ride this bike at NHMS pretty quickly. Best time so far is a 118.7 personal best on a LW bike(or what qualifies under CCS rules)
    Currently sit fourth in two of the championships and fifth in another There a few fast guys behind me with three weekends to go so I need to pick up my game. If I could pick up a consistent second or so I might have a chance and combined with better starts I might hold on to me currant positions but with three to go? We will see and Racing is still my thing!
    FYI I am Still Learning! Soft tires work better in the heat then hard! Why this has been a secret on my part is a mystery.
    But I have now found the truth and will pay the tire gods for the correct rubber!
    Tires got greasy after four laps This passed weekend and had to change my riding mid race.. popped a 19.2 but after tires went off low 20s is all I could comfortably do!
    My garage is such a great place to hang and race out of, everyone who is in there is cool and good racers to boot plus there helpful and friendly, makes my weekends flow smoothly and without a lot of drama!!!!
    So far its been great year and looking forward to the next three rounds.
    If there is a start guru out there how wants to expound his or her wisdom I am open to listening.
    Good luck to everyone.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 07-29-19 at 07:21 PM.

Re: My half year report, cliff note version

I'm working on my starts too. I used to be better (dare I say good) when I drag raced regularly. The drag racers would get to about 3/4 revs, or torque peak, and roll onto WOT while keeping it around those rpms by slipping the clutch until the bike catches up with the motor, and then almost instantly shift. It's a lot of slipping, maybe that will help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

My advice will sound counter intuitive. But rev it up to 3/4 and essentially dump the clutch and pin it. Not much slipping at all. If you overwhelm the clutch, it will slip just enough to prevent a big wheelie and you will get to 2nd gear first. That's the name of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

I redlined at 16k. Launched at 13ish. Wouldn't call it dumping the clutch but didn't slip it for long. Agreed getting to second quick is key.

This was one of my best starts.
    https://youtu.be/sgNfnI3j19U

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I redlined at 16k. Launched at 13ish. Wouldn't call it dumping the clutch but didn't slip it for long. Agreed getting to second quick is key.

This was one of my best starts.
    https://youtu.be/sgNfnI3j19U
    Who did you run over?

Paul_E_D

I also have a lot of work to do with getting off the line. Im slow getting my feet up and getting into 2nd. Im usually bouncing off the limiter. I do the both feet down on the start and people have said to start with my left foot already on the peg. Personally makes me feel lop sided and makes me drift to the left lol.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS EX #329
    Thank you to my 2022 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

I did one legged starts but dangled my shifting leg. Right foot was covering the rear brake in case the front got a bit too light too quickly.

As JC said, drag racing. Take the bike to Epping for a night of test and tune. No substitute for practice. Every single pit out, practice a start. If you do Friday practice, pit in and back out during your sessions to get extra starts.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

My advice will sound counter intuitive. But rev it up to 3/4 and essentially dump the clutch and pin it. Not much slipping at all. If you overwhelm the clutch, it will slip just enough to prevent a big wheelie and you will get to 2nd gear first. That's the name of the game.
    I will give it a try.. do you have a slipper clutch ? I think that's my biggest issue with starts?
    Take the bike to Epping for a night of test and tune
    I looked into that but you cant have slicks and it must be street legal… at least thats how I read the rules of I am wrong? I will head down some night.

Last edited by MUZ720; 07-30-19 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Who did you run over?
    Houk Nichols.

Piggles ran him over again after I did.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!