Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

heart rates?

heart rates?

At VIR this weekend I wore my Garmin Forerunner 305. Its a heart rate monitor with a GPS. I discovered my heart rate is generally between 185-194 while racing. My max heart rate for my age is 195. So I know im about topping out. What can I do to lower this so I dont have a heart attack on the track?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13717063

This is the log from the weekend. I forgot to shut it off after each race so there is me riding around here and there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Re: heart rates?

breathe and relax yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by daviid View Post
    At VIR this weekend I wore my Garmin Forerunner 305. Its a heart rate monitor with a GPS. I discovered my heart rate is generally between 185-194 while racing. My max heart rate for my age is 195. So I know im about topping out. What can I do to lower this so I dont have a heart attack on the track?

This is the log from the weekend. I forgot to shut it off after each race so there is me riding around here and there.

Run. When you get tired keep running.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Run. When you get tired keep running.
    i am not a fan of this idea

i have been picking up running lately though. need to get new shoes before i go again

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

This may be a repost but don't you mean, "Faster than a snail"?

Last edited by Cheese; 09-21-09 at 09:10 PM.

Holy crap?! Isn't that hummingbird territory?

Now I'm curious, can I borrow that some time? : )

Quote Originally Posted by Ćheese View Post
    This may be a repost but don't you mean, "Faster than a snail"
    it has been like that for 2 years or so now. im not planning on changing it anytime soon

-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Holy crap?! Isn't that hummingbird territory?

Now I'm curious, can I borrow that some time? : )
    if you come to daytona. probably want to buy your own strap though, i think they are like $20

-Benjamin Franklin

wow that's high do some cardio man lol

make sure your breathing correctly sounds dumb but i had a buddy who always got winded on the track couldn't figure out why. one day we inverted a helmet cam and found that he would forget to breath in hard corners causing his heart rate to get high and oxygen get low

highest i've gotten is 180 bpm running with paintball gear on

Professor of Philosphy Cerberus's Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of running, but you need to do something to elelvate your heart rate for at least a half hour everyday. And fix your diet. The fat content in your diet is contributing to poor cardiac health.

Get out while you can

Find your own path

I manufacture endovascular stents for a living. Call me and we'll dilate some vessels to 16mm... should clear things up quite a bit.

Fitz

Bicycle.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Run and bike. Biking will do the most for your heartrate. Just for a reference, Lance Armstrong and other top cyclists in the world carry a resting heartrate of below 40. Dean Karzanes (however you spell his name) is famous for running 50 marathons in 50 days. His is slightly lower. Although you don't need to get to that extreme, running will increase bloodflow. A marathoner has 3x the bloodflow of a sedentary person. This means more circulation, which is a good thing for your body. There's science behind it, but its not really important. Running and biking are good for you. Also, you'll never actually hit your max heart rate, you'll only get within 5% of it.

also, more heartrate goodness. Right now I rock a resting heartrate in the mid 70's bpm (20 years old), and when I'm in marathon shape, that drops to about 55 bpm.

Edit: Hummingbirds are like 400bpm.

Last edited by ilikenapalm; 09-21-09 at 10:03 PM.

Bicycle.
    you want me to do the thing that im about ready to run people over for doing?

-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenapalm View Post
    Run and bike. Biking will do the most for your heartrate. Just for a reference, Lance Armstrong and other top cyclists in the world carry a resting heartrate of below 40. Dean Karzanes (however you spell his name) is famous for running 50 marathons in 50 days. His is slightly lower. Although you don't need to get to that extreme, running will increase bloodflow. A marathoner has 3x the bloodflow of a sedentary person. This means more circulation, which is a good thing for your body. There's science behind it, but its not really important. Running and biking are good for you. Also, you'll never actually hit your max heart rate, you'll only get within 5% of it.

also, more heartrate goodness. Right now I rock a resting heartrate in the mid 70's bpm (20 years old), and when I'm in marathon shape, that drops to about 55 bpm.

Edit: Hummingbirds are like 400bpm.
    my cousin and i recently started running, but i definitely need running shoes. i was getting massive shin splints(correct term?) with the shoes i have now. i just need to get down to this place with him. they have a tread mill you run on and it analyzes your feet as you run. so they can recommend specific shoes towards you. the reason i need him is so i can get the police officer discount :booyah:

-Benjamin Franklin

I am 39 and my resting rate is below 70. Oooo Sawww

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

my cousin and i recently started running, but i definitely need running shoes. i was getting massive shin splints(correct term?) with the shoes i have now. i just need to get down to this place with him. they have a tread mill you run on and it analyzes your feet as you run. so they can recommend specific shoes towards you. the reason i need him is so i can get the police officer discount :booyah:
    Yep Shin Splints. You need properly fitted new sneakers AND you need to stretch!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I am 39 and my resting rate is below 70. Oooo Sawww
    As you get older, you lose max heartrate. I think you start at 210 or so and then its 1 or 2 bpm per year, depending on your fitness level. 1 if you're in shape, 2 if not.

Also, for your feet, you don't need to get those specially analyzed. Check runners world.com for a foot analyzer thing. They have you take a wet foot and step on a brown grocery bag, and depending on the shape that results, they recommend a certain type of shoe.

Last edited by ilikenapalm; 09-21-09 at 10:14 PM.

As you get older, you lose max heartrate. I think you start at 210 or so and then its 1 or 2 bpm per year, depending on your fitness level. 1 if you're in shape, 2 if not.

Also, for your feet, you don't need to get those specially analyzed. Check runners world.com for a foot analyzer thing. They have you take a wet foot and step on a brown grocery bag, and depending on the shape that results, they recommend a certain type of shoe.

220 - age is what ive been told.

ill have to check that out

-Benjamin Franklin

220 - age is what ive been told.

ill have to check that out
    Also... running shoes.... don't buy into hype. I've run a lot of miles in several different shoes. My best advice is stay away from anything marketed to the public. Aisics (sp?) have always been good to me. Everything I've heard says Underarmour running shoes suck massive amounts of cock.

Lastly, and this is just personal preference, a pair of running shoes only lasts me about 200-250 miles, so I usually buy in the $70-90 range. There are some diesel shoes on the market for $140, but if I only get another 100 miles out of them, I can't justify the cost. Long story short, buy what feels right for you.

When I did cross country, I bought the cheapest no name wallyworld specials, velcro even. I think I paid $19 a pair? Comfort was fine, and if I trashed them with mud/etc, or lost em, whatever.

Edit: Resting rate - 60bpm, peak rate during wisdom teeth removal - 90bpm, averaged 70bpm

Last edited by Kurlon; 09-21-09 at 10:29 PM.

I usually only get bad shin splints when either:
    a) I haven't run in a really long time and I push myself
    b) I run outside for the first time in awhile (instead of on the treadmill)

Like Doc said, make sure you stretch well before each run. All major areas of the legs (calf/achilles, quad, groin, hamstring). I've noticed this makes a HUGE difference. Also do as long of a warm-up walk as you can (I've seen up to 5 minutes recommended, depending on the intensity of the run).

I buy New Balance running shoes, usually at Marshall's for pretty cheap $$. Most important part is fit (support plays a large role in this, it needs to fit more than just length/width).

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 09-21-09 at 10:29 PM.