Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Here's a Discussion for the SM racers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Sounds like a bunch of Supermoto riders who know dick about Loudon to me.

Boston --> San Diego

yeah sounds like a bunch of crap!!!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Everyone seems to have their own opinion on how Motards should be ridden at loudon. While one can argue that Wood is the fastest riding knee out style, Doug H was only 1/100th of a second slower riding foot out style. That's the great thing about Motards, there are a few riding styles that seem to work. Also keep in mind that half the people riding Motards probably grew up riding MX and even ice racing so the foot out feels more natural and works beter for them

Yamaha

I ride foot out while riding ice and dirt but for some reason it just feels wrong at the track. I have tried it and it's just weird. I will give it a shot again next season and see how it works but I think I will keep the knee down.

I watch the fast guys and try to do what they do. But it seems they do both. So I don't know what to do.

I am on the fence!

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    I am on the fence!

KB
    Maybe we should get a crane?

Yamaha

Following up on what Mark said, what MOST people don't even know is that the foot-out vs knee-out is not just about the foot vs knee--its about a completely different body and riding style.

Foot out implies you are climbing up on the bike and pushing it down underneath you, weighting the handlebars with elbows up high to lever it. You are implicitly forcing the bike to do something and making a drastic input to the controls. You sit high up on the tank and pressure your outside knee on the bike for balance. This is the typical style of riding those on dirtbikes do. Its very common in MX and FT. Riders coming from these areas are more comfortable in this style.

Knee out involves the rider to be minimalistic on the bike with a little input as possible, weighting the inside of the bike to offset the outward directional centrifugal force the bike experiences. You want to try to be as low as possible with as much mass to the inside of the bike and pull it down with you. Riders from streetbike areas are more comfortable with this style.

Both styles work equally as well, as long as you are able to manuerver the bike effectively and properly. I've done both at Loudon, and while I've decided on knee-out, its more because of the years I've spent riding that way which makes it more effective for me.

Its also important to note that knee out on a dirtbike is as awkward as foot on on a streetbike.

Last edited by WebCrush; 11-24-06 at 09:04 PM.
    Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

I find it all depends on corner speed. When I race at Loudon, it feels kinda awkward when I put my foot out because the corner speeds are very fast. However, when I race at smaller, tighter tracks like OVRP, it is much much easier to ride with the foot out. I don't think there is a "right way" to do it, just go with whatever feels right. But, then again, what the hell do I know???

Mike 37

Originally posted by R7
    Maybe we should get a crane?
    We could probably get a few guys to lift me down off of it no?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Originally posted by R7 half the people riding Motards probably grew up riding MX and even ice racing so the foot out feels more natural and works beter for them
    Yea exactly my thoughts.

And like Mike M. said, on the 'fast' Loudon stuff knee down felt smoother, more comfortable, and more stable compared to foot down. On a tighter, more Supermoto style track thou...foot out all the way.

Jeff Wood rides foot out when he races actual supermoto.

On a Side Note: I raced the pavement round of the Transworld Motocross Master of Mini race 2 weeks ago. Pretty much everyone there is from a MX background. Even thou I was obviously the fastest guy in the corners, by a huuuge margin, in all my classes, the MX guys were completely baffled and confused by the knee down style of riding (even thou it was clearly superiour). And on a minibike getting your knee down is about as hard as walking and talking... If the diehard MX guys are queesy about draggin knee at 30mph... I don't expect them to be singing the praises of doing it at 100mph

Boston --> San Diego

The crane finally came and lifted me down and I'm sticking with knee down.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

yup

Originally posted by mmracer37
    I find it all depends on corner speed. When I race at Loudon, it feels kinda awkward when I put my foot out because the corner speeds are very fast. However, when I race at smaller, tighter tracks like OVRP, it is much much easier to ride with the foot out. I don't think there is a "right way" to do it, just go with whatever feels right. But, then again, what the hell do I know???
    Werd....

Oh, and KB fokin sucks!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

yeah I rock!!!

KB

ps. spend the $$ on ice tires yo!

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

I ride foot out. I tried hanging off, and it doesnt feel right. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I prefer it, simply because I feel more comfortable being on top of the bike when it squirms around, rather than along side it.

If your going to a roadracing school to learn, the likelyhood that you'll find a supermoto instructor that will teach you foot out, is pretty rare. So if your there to learn, you'll learn how they show you, and make your own opinon. If you're there to be different, then you'll make a big stink about it, and post it on thumpertalk.

I've ridden around the track with Graham (whom, incidentally Oreo, started racing flat-track, so he does have a good dirt background) a few times, and even though we both ride quite differently, he was more than able to give me lots of pointers about how to improve my braking and change my turn in points to take advantage of motard characteristics.

Do whatever makes you happy!

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS