Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2nd sucks

2nd sucks

Racing is defined by some extreme highs… and extreme lows. This weekend had them all packed into one short period.

Highs:

Seeing Joe M’s smiling face.
    Great friends coming out to show support. Tim M, Chris B, Brian Yoo, Graham P, Debbie M.

A perfectly jetted 125 on a cool fall day!

Running 1:16 lap times at will on the 125. This is my biggest achievement in racing.

Lows:

A rider was brutally killed in a startline incident during the race before my championship fight.

Getting the start of a lifetime only to see the red flag halfway around the first lap.

Tangling with 3 motards in T3 after the second start.

Finishing second in the series by one point.

To say I have mixed emotions right now is an understatement.

Race:

First start I get a good launch and fade outside where I zap a bunch of riders around T1 and even more in 1a and 2. I came into #3 clear of all motard traffic and right on Eric’s tail. I could taste the victory… Red flag in T8. a 125 rider hit a motard and sustained multiple leg and arm fractures…

Second start, not as good and I get squeezed in traffic in T1. I come out of 2 with 3 motards still in front of me. Coming into the brake chute, I decide I can get all three and I hold the throttle to my mark. I sail past 2 motards, but it’s becoming clear that I won’t get past the third before the tip in. I’m FULL on the binders now and the rear wheel is 4 feet in the air. I arrive at the tip in point 6 inches too late. The motard turns it in on me, and I try to steer, but the rear wheel just tries to pass the front. I’m fully crossed up in a front wheel stand for the crowd. I may have tapped him with the rear, or he finally saw me, but the motard gave me a little room, and I let it down and turn it in.

We both made it, but the the 2 ‘tards I passed got through again and Eric had gained 6 seconds on me. I knew my race was over as the delay had caused them to shorten this to a 6 lap event, but I put my head down and cracked off 3 16s to finish strong.

Disappointing, but I’m glad to be home in one piece, and ready to fight another day. I made all my goals but one, and it just seemed like fate wanted to take that from me this year. As they say… That’s racing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

2nd sucks

Nice shorty race report Paul.
    Congrats on your consistant 16's, that's a lot of work and something to be proud of. Good show Paul!

I was working T4 when the 125 gernaded against the KTM. We were already on our way for the KTM rider when "BAM!!" 125 parts spraying everywhere in the air about 10'-15' ft. up.

Annette and I got to the 125 rider first, it looked like his leg and arm were on backwards. I picked up the KTM and helped that rider, he was fine, just a low side almost to T5. His fork was destroyed by the 125 impact, but considered himself lucky.

As for the loss of our rider: I did not know him, he was pitting toward the end of our row, was liked by everyone who met him and was always willing to help.

RIP fellow rider, RIP.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

2nd sucks

I had to take to the gravel outside of turn 5 to avoid the falling motard. I was surprised to see the red flag come out as I re-entered the track at the bottom of the hill. I assumed everyone would have gotten by okay since the motard was almost stationary as I went by. I'm sorry to hear that someone got caught up in it.

2nd sucks

Overall Paul Congrats on the season. Running 16's on that little buzzbomb is incredible. I know 'losing' the Championship by a point must be tough, but you 3 guys put on some of the best racing of the season. I look forward to seeing more of it next year and you should try and run some of the 'not LRRS' races.

Boston --> San Diego

2nd sucks

Thanks guys, winning a championship in a class with riders like Eric and Zack is seriously tough. One setback is enough to end your run. We worked incredibly hard, always trying to improve the bike and improve my riding.

We've finally got a set-up that works, and I'm not making many mistakes out there, and the season is over. Hopefully it will be easier to get to this point next year as I feel I left a little time out there. I want a 15!

Paul_E_D