Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Questions on racing a Honda RS125

Questions on racing a Honda RS125

I am looking at Honda RS 125's to race this season. I have some experience on a 125 racing a 1977 Honda MT125R with the USCRA. I am enjoying the 2 stroke racing but on an old bike spare parts are not cheap or easy to find.

When looking at the RS125 are some years much better than others? Any years to stay away from. What about parts availability, RSC seams to have a lot of parts. What spares do you use a lot or consider must haves. What years are the best prices.

I know in general new bikes are easier to get parts for. I don't want to get an RS125 model year that parts are getting scarce for.

I would like to find a bike ready to go or very close to ready.

Thanks
    Gene

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Questions on racing a Honda RS125

I believe they are stopping the manufacturing of 125 stuff now or really soon. I believe they are continuing the manufacturing of the 250 parts though. Roland would be your man on this question.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Hey Gene,

The last generation of RS125's was from 1995 to when they stopped producing them a few years ago, so if you get something which is '95 or newer, you should be fine for a few years. Mine is a '95 but with a new carb (from a 98 or 99 perhaps?) and I have not had any problems getting parts from RSC so far. Having said that, Steve Asplan from RSC has warned us that parts are going to become sparse, so I don't know how long we have until they truly become vintage bikes.

One place you can look for used bikes is on the USGPRU forums. I don't really know what the going prices are, but they usually start at around 3K and can go up to 12K+ depending on spares and aftermarket parts.

About spares, a top end kit is a good idea. If you will be running at NHMS with LRRS, don't worry to much about spares, Steve Asplan is usually there with his van full of parts, and there is a group of us that will gladly give you a hand if Steve can't hook you up.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

+1 on USGPRU, I have bought a bunch of parts from there. RSC is also very helpful!!

Thanks Guys

Good to know the 95 and newer parts are available. I will focus on those bikes. I know the pain of searching for rare parts for a race bike.

I may turn into a full 2 stroke guy yet. The MT is the only 2 stroke I have ever owned or ridden. I am just starting to get the basic idea on running these little bikes.

Just found this 98 rs 125 posted on the worc.cl http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcd/3564584695.html

Well I made the jump to the RS125 today. I picked up a 1996 with some spare parts The bike has raced a ton at Loudon and the motor is fresh. All that's left to due is a check on fasteners, oil and water.

I need to do a few track days and practice in April before racing. If all goes well I should be able to make a bunch of LRRS races and fit my whole USCRA schedule in. I need to look at the LRRS rules about licensing, I don't think my USCRA license will cover me for a bunch of races.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by gene03079; 03-02-13 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gene03079 View Post
    Well I made the jump to the RS125 today. I picked up a 1996 with some spare parts The bike has raced a ton at Loudon and the motor is fresh. All that's left to due is a check on fasteners, oil and water.

I need to do a few track days and practice in April before racing. If all goes well I should be able to make a bunch of LRRS races and fit my whole USCRA schedule in. I need to look at the LRRS rules about licensing, I don't think my USCRA license will cover me for a bunch of races.
    Congrats! Where did you get the bike? Pics??
    My son Tom, Roland and the Vaders run RS125's at the Tonys days, hope to see you there in a couple of months!!
    PM me if you have any questions.

I bought Hardy Kornfelds RS125. It seams to be sorted out well. I need to check all the fasteners and add trans oil and I am good to go. I am anxious to test it out on the track. After racing vintage bikes it will be fun to have actual suspension and warm slicks.

Do you guys run any days in April? I want to run with LRRS the end of April but need some laps on the bike before I jump in with them.

Lifer

Looks like a killer bike. Sign up for a tony's or bostonmoto trackday and get in about a top end's worth of riding time. I'm tempted to grab a 125, but I can't get myself to buy it when I know in enough years I won't be able to get the engine parts to keep it going, and the price until then on them is going to keep skyrocketing with supply and demand.

If youre not already licensed youll have to do penguin on Friday before the race weekend. Youll get a bunch of laps in then. If you already hold a license then run Penguin anyway

James