This was posted on the NEAR list (author Robert Holcomb ).

The latest season of the greatest club racing series in America is upon us. I can hardly wait (even though all I do is change tires and watch). My 2nd favorite weekend of the series is the very first when all the bikes are sparkling fresh and you riders are full of promise for new speed. My most anguished weekend is also the very first. Along that line, I offer the following:

1. Beware of the winter - You're just not as good as you were at the end of 2003. Only the most veteran and mature racers (F-40 Expert) seem to come close to their September speeds; and even then, they will be primarily in the lightweight classes. The bulk of you will disappoint yourselves in terms of lap times.

2. The track will be slow - Even if you are the latest version of Chuck Chuinard.

3. Be patient - You won't likely get to your best 2003 speed until late June. New ground after that.

4. Forget heroics - Everybody on the track is rusty. Give each other room.

5. You gotta' finish every race to be there - Many of you have a significant chance to win or place in championships (and those are extremely tough in LRRS), but you have to finish every race to get the best of it.

6. Listen carefully to Jerry Wood at the rider's meeting - Nobody knows more about winning then JW. He is probably the best rider's safety officer and coach you could have. That is because he is a consummate motorcycle racer with the scars of experience to shape his remarkable and continued success. Plus, he has fun doing it!

See you Saturday in the Tech garage after the second practice. I'll be checking your time sheets. -bob holcomb
PS: My FAVORITE weekend is Labor Day with its 3-hour. By then, you're broke, your equipment is a shambles and you're tired. All that is left is to take that puppy out and have a ball with your buddies...and you do! It's a marvelous thing.