Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

The Sultan of Slide is Back!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The Sultan of Slide is Back!

Gary McCoy will be riding for FB Corse on a totally new (inline 3 cylinder) in MotoGP starting with the opening European rounds.

Kick ASS! GO GARY!

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/ne...togp-bike/2875

http://www.fbcorse.com/

Sorry if it's a repost but I absolutely LOVE McCoy... especially after seeing what he could do on the 675 first hand.

We have extended an invitation for FB Corse to come test with us at NHMS.... sadly we have not yet received a reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUKQCl4Acco

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS #83

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Re: The Sultan of Slide is Back!

Thats the Ride Hopper passed up for M4

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

We've all witnessed how proficient Hopper is at developing a bike...

Glad to see McCoy back where he belongs. Shame they're going to 1000cc in 2012 (although I definitely want the liter's back!), but teams like this going thru all that development to run an 800 for a couple years seems a bit of a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post

CCS/LRRS #83

glad to see Garry get a ride for next season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyv_VyubtzQ

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Well its been circulated for a couple of months now that McCoy was the FB Corse rider, but as far as I know, the bike has not been approved by DORNA to compete in the series. According to the FB Corse site, they tested at Valencia the last two days, and today is the day they do their "final exam" to see if they make the grade. I'll admit, I'm curious as to whether or not they'll be allowed to play.

The original reason for my posting was a PR from Valencia saying they'd passed the FIM tests and were cleared to race in 2010... 'course now I can't find the link!

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    The original reason for my posting was a PR from Valencia saying they'd passed the FIM tests and were cleared to race in 2010... 'course now I can't find the link!
    The one I found says they did NOT pass today...

FB Corse Bike "Not Yet Ready To Race" - motomatters.com

At Valencia today, the FB Corse team ran a timed test in front of Franco Uncini, Dorna and IRTA's representative sent to evaluate the project, with the hope of impressing Uncini...Their hopes have been dashed, however. Uncini's verdict, though full of praise for the team, is negative, and the FB Corse team will not be allowed to start the season at Qatar.
    It does, however, go on to say that they will have another opportunity to test before the European rounds (as you mentioned in your first post). Perhaps that's the part you saw?

Could be, I could've sworn I saw they were deciding *against* the fly away rounds so they could develop the bike for the Euro rounds, sounded all positive to me. That's a bit discouraging... I wish them luck though. Another bike on the grid is always a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf650 View Post
    The one I found says they did NOT pass today...

FB Corse Bike "Not Yet Ready To Race" - motomatters.com

It does, however, go on to say that they will have another opportunity to test before the European rounds (as you mentioned in your first post). Perhaps that's the part you saw?

CCS/LRRS #83

wow! back to the deadly triple, eh. That's a shocker. Perhaps traction control has developed enough to make it feasible? Dunno bout competing against the fours, but I can't wait to see/here it go!

Paul_E_D

if it sounds as good as Q's 675 running some ghetto-ass old Ducati CF slip-on clamped to the exhaust... it should sound the secks!

CCS/LRRS #83

That's a bit discouraging... I wish them luck though. Another bike on the grid is always a positive.

I'm actually counting on the MotoCzysz project to have a good shot at competing when the 1000cc displacement rule comes back into effect. It *might* have been a good idea for FB Corse/Oral to focus their resources and R&D into a bike to fit the upcoming change instead of rush to get one done for this season.

Yeap, Gary is da man. Sliding may not be the fastest way around a track (unless you do it a la Casey Stoner), but it is certainly very cool.

Well the bike was already mostly designed for BMW by another firm... they must've scrapped the GP idea in lieu of the S1000RR project. I wouldn't be surprised if they kinda make it as good as they can but not put a ton into it w/ the 1000cc's comin' back.

CCS/LRRS #83

Dude, loved the vid re: which track day he supports....
    but an Aussie will say almost anything for a beer.....or two or more

Last edited by xsiliconkid; 03-17-10 at 04:56 PM.
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    Smart move by Hopper. Options were run on a team where you can win races in a credible series or run with a team that probably will fold 1/2 thru the year after you've run ever race in last place 6 seconds off the pace.

It was too bad about BE1 'screwing' McCoy right before WSS started. Don't blame McCoy for taking this ride. Nothing else doing and I'm sure he's getting his money up front.

Boston --> San Diego

LOL, we'll agree to disagree on the "credible series" bit. But it's not a *great* ride. Def. shame about McCoy, he took that Triumph from the back of the grid to a front runner basically all on his own and then hung out to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Smart move by Hopper. Options were run on a team where you can win races in a credible series or run with a team that probably will fold 1/2 thru the year after you've run ever race in last place 6 seconds off the pace.

It was too bad about BE1 'screwing' McCoy right before WSS started. Don't blame McCoy for taking this ride. Nothing else doing and I'm sure he's getting his money up front.

CCS/LRRS #83

And this was the article that made me think it was a done deal.

CCS/LRRS #83

And this was the article that made me think it was a done deal.
    Wow, I'm sitting here like "WTF, how do two different sources have contradicting stories"...Then I went back to the motomatters.com site and saw this:

FB Corse And McCoy To Compete From Jerez

It even includes the same word-for-word press release in the link you have. Sounds like the motomatters source jumped the gun and assumed Uncini's recommendation was actually his decision.

Either way, good for FB Corse and McCoy, can't wait to see how they compete on the same grid.

LOL, we'll agree to disagree on the "credible series" bit. But it's not a *great* ride. Def. shame about McCoy, he took that Triumph from the back of the grid to a front runner basically all on his own and then hung out to dry.
    You're right.

Riding in front of 600,000 people per year, 3 million tv fans, and in the largest motorcycle market in the world certainly isn't very credible. He should have taken the dozens of other options he had. What other major series carries more weight than AMA btw? MotoGP and WSBK, that's about it. Nothing new there brother. Otherwise what do you have? BSB? Arguable at best.

Yes I know, old argument between us. AMA SUCKS. DOWN WITH ROADRACING IN THE USA!!

Last edited by a13x; 03-18-10 at 01:23 PM.
    Boston --> San Diego

BSB has a UK television and trackside audience of 8 million. Compared to less than half that for a national series in a country with exponentially higher population and geographic demographics?

Right. Let me know when a viable commercial title sponsor is affiliated with the AMA on half the levels you see in BSB.

That doesn't even account for the web based coverage BSB commands via crash.net, other sites, etc. AMA = Minor Leagues, A level at best. BSB would be AAA. Italian / Spanish / Euro national championships AA or AAA.

It's not a hack Alex, but lets get real.

Last edited by scottieducati; 03-18-10 at 03:35 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

you're too close to it and you are not objective. bottom line.

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

BSB has a UK television and trackside audience of 8 million. Compared to less than half that for a national series in a country with exponentially higher population and geographic demographics?

Right. Let me know when a viable commercial title sponsor is affiliated with the AMA on half the levels you see in BSB.

That doesn't even account for the web based coverage BSB commands via crash.net, other sites, etc. AMA = Minor Leagues, A level at best. BSB would be AAA. Italian / Spanish / Euro national championships AA or AAA.

It's not a hack Alex, but lets get real.
    Getting back to the original point Scott, even not debating BSB and AMA (because you make great points) I found your comment inferring AMA isn't a 'credible' series (because you don't like the 2009 rules) is just strange. I agree, there was some STUPID STUPID shit that went down in 2009 (pace car, rolling starts, etc all failed to work very well) but you can't just throw the baby out with the bathwater. The series still ranks as one of the top 4 (even if it is 4th).

w0rd.

Boston --> San Diego

Come on, guys. LRRS FTW. Those guys are scared of our track!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

They are going in the right direction this year for sure, but top 4 is a monumental stretch.

MotoGP, WSBK, WSS, BSB, Spanish CV, European SBK/SS/Superstock, Italian SBK, German SBK.... All of whom have greater talent, more funding / money, etc.... especially if you take out the top (what, 4?) riders and look at the entire field / operation.

The AMA has a long, long road to go to come even close to a meaningful series... as much as I don't really "like" the guy... especially now with Maladin gone.

I'm hoping for more close racing this year and if they're lucky they can get the OEMs to come back, because watching a Graves Yamaha / Suzuki parade at the front isn't going to attract new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Getting back to the original point Scott, even not debating BSB and AMA (because you make great points) I found your comment inferring AMA isn't a 'credible' series (because you don't like the 2009 rules) is just strange. I agree, there was some STUPID STUPID shit that went down in 2009 (pace car, rolling starts, etc all failed to work very well) but you can't just throw the baby out with the bathwater. The series still ranks as one of the top 4 (even if it is 4th).

w0rd.

CCS/LRRS #83