Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsorships - who's actively searching?

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

Just curious to know who is actively searching, or planning to actively search for sponsors for next year.

I have been chatting with a couple members about what it takes to obtain new sponsors and though if we have enough interest we could open the discussion up to others.

So if interested post up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mike
    Am #124

HEY! Keep it secret!

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

interested.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I am actively searching.

As I mentioned in the thread talking about "teams," my variable factors for next year are tires and race entry fees.

Running my KTM, I'm lucky in the sense that it didn't take much to build a spares bin and my bike is pretty cheap to run. I have a great releationship with my current dealer for winter service (who I currently list as a sponsor), so other than about 3-4 gallons of fuel, and tires, I don't use much each weekend. And anything that I do need for the bike, i get discounted through Cliff's. I also don't need to go to vortex or woodcraft, etc, for parts...i can get them all through KTM.

The downside, as I see it, to running the UL bike is that I don't have as much to offer to a tire company. I will only be buying tires, every third weekend (maybe every other depending on how many trackdays, etc, in between); and I'm not running the "high visibility" classes...(MW...etc). I'm still working on this side of it...

Anyway...just my "stream of consciousness" thoughts to help get the ball rolling. I'd love to hear some ideas about what it takes to be successfull with it. Even if I can't apply it for next year, it seems like good info to keep in the back of my mind

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Interested.

I will be running the Duc and I am looking at BCM for "sponsorship". What this would mean is a discount on parts and labor I assume... A good thing in case my motor frags... I might talk to Bruce Myers as well...

Tires are important but I MIGHT go through 1 or 2 sets next year. Entry fees and fuel would be nice.... Not holdng my breath... Even discounted fuel/entries or cash up front to defer the cost of a season and I would "fly the banner".

Vortex offered 40% off but looking at their parts they don't have much for my bike that I would use.

The thing is lot of us are Amatuers... what does that offer to a sponsor other than getting his name out to the LRRS public? MAYBE drumming up a LITTLE business in the "civillian sector" but not much.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Stupidhawk007 View Post
    HEY! Keep it secret!
    LOL.

Mike
    Am #124

yea i'll hop in on this...i'm definitely searching. working on putting together information and stuff lately....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Interested.

..Even discounted fuel/entries or cash up front to defer the cost of a season and I would "fly the banner".

The thing is lot of us are Amatuers... what does that offer to a sponsor other than getting his name out to the LRRS public? MAYBE drumming up a LITTLE business in the "civillian sector" but not much.
    First of all, Doc, who says Amature racers have nothing to offer a sponsor?

I don't claim to be the best sponsor-getter out there, but think of it this way: I don't even race, and even we picked up more than 5 sponsors this year.......and we only held two events! That's a grand total of 2 days of exposure and we were able to land Coke and a Suzuki.

Whether you know it or not the biggest reason racers don't have sponsors is they have no plan to get them.

So. Who has a plan? And who's willing to share it besides me?

Mike
    Am #124

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    yea i'll hop in on this...i'm definitely searching. working on putting together information and stuff lately....
    Ryan - don't post here.

Check your PM's.

Mike
    Am #124

looking for a track day org. to pick me up here. not sure if i want/can/willing to run a full race season next year but will still have the race bike. i'd make a fantastic control rider. (sorry, wrong smilie, just wanted to use it)

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by BMFR6 View Post
    looking for a track day org. to pick me up here. not sure if i want/can/willing to run a full race season next year but will still have the race bike. i'd make a fantastic control rider. (sorry, wrong smilie, just wanted to use it)
    Was that your plan?
    Seriousley?
    (LOL)

Mike
    Am #124

IAs stated earlier I have a few options. Also looking at the possiblity of getting some sponsor ship from the Nation Guard or Army... Then again there is my motorcycle club that might give me a couple hundred bucks...

The biggest thing I don't know about is what to ask for or what to expect from a sponsor.

I know what I would like but I am not sure how to get it. I'd be happy to run decals on my bike and trailer and list Companies as sponsors. I would even be happy to hype a sponsor, and be a public spokesperson...possibly get them some exposure somehow (working on putting on a Motorcylist day for this spring with the help of my club and local dealers, maybe even trying to organize a "military trackday" next summer.)

but I am all ears.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

The trick is to figure out what you need (money, parts, food, etc.), target specific, potential companies, research, reasearch, reasearch them, make a plan, pitch it, and follow through on your commitments. Being mindful not to over promise, or under estimate what your sponsorship needs are.

The reason I mention a "plan" is to get you thinking about it - because without a solid plan you'll most likely fail before you ever even get a meeting with a prospective sponsor.

Most of the riders I've spoken to (including recently, a class champion) that want to obtain sponsors have absolutely no plan whatsoever, and they go and talk to some local businesses and get shot down because of a lack of planning (usually), so they'll tell you it's next to impossible to get sponsors. But, in reality, sponsor hunting isn't all that bad. I've heard a lot of "No", but I've also got a lot of "Yes" too.

So - since it's your program, not mine, let's start by having you coming up with a couple of businesses that you think may be good sponsors.

For example: businesses that you could make a connection to motorcycling with. Let's take Motion Pro (tools) as an example.
    They are already in the racing business right? So immediately, you know they already have an interest in the sport. This could be important because when you make your pitch to them you wouldn't have to educate them about the racing, and they in turn wouldn't have to find their respective interest.
    (Get it?)

Mike
    Am #124

Got it... It is more the pitch I need help with.

What does Magic Hat Brewery get out of me racing? Ok, so your gonna say Magic Hat might not be the best company to pitch too... (that sucks, I mean Budweiser sponsors peps )

Moving right along, A trackday Organization may be a good place to look for sponsorship.... Free trackdays to help with the racer craft. And the track organizer can point to the "race team as proof of their trackdays helping riders ride better

Next would be BCM or some such shop that might help with parts and labor, then the racer would be supporting the business by "talking up" the shop. Although some shops are pretty well established...

Next... How about an up and coming company that relates to th sport? Energy drink/ bar?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

i'm actively looking, getting together a team website to provide additional advertisement space... offering trailer, and bike space.

have big discount deals with 2 larger manufacturers, and possible monetary/discount from a local shop again.... looking for more... INCLUDING A TIRE CONNECTION.

Sponsorship is not just about getting companies to give you money. Sponsorship is about obtaining the resources necessary which will allow you to obtain the consumables you'll use throughout the season without footing the entire cost yourself. These consumables are anything that you will use during the course of the season. Tires, fuel, parts and bodywork and food can all be sponsored consumables without major outlays of cash from you.

Every racer in the world has the dream of them riding, racing and testing on someone else's dime. But the reality is that unless you are a nationally recognized (winning) racer, that's a pipedream.

Target sponsors that will help curb the cost of these consumables and you'll be much more effective in your hunt.

Put yourself in the sponsor's shoes. ask yourself: "Did I hear anything that would benefit my company?"

When approaching a propective dealer, never do it without a solid plan, and always keep in the mind the only question the prospective sponsor will be asking himself:

"What will the benefit to me be by sponsoring their race program?"

Begin your hunt by tageting specific companies. You can create your own criteria for the companies to make the list of selected "targets" - then do some research.

The research part entails looking at the company and determining what you want from them (free product, money, name association, etc.), as well as the corporate structure/landscape. After all, it does you no good to create a pitch if you don't know what the company produces, or cannot contact who to pitch it to, right?

Then, when you feel comfortable that you know enough about the company, you create your pitch.

Each pitch is taylor made to the individual company you are going after. Some will blend well with others, but mostly, they're all individual, just as their businesses are individual and unique.

The pitch is extremely important (as you can imagine) because it encompasses everything from what you can do for them, to what you're asking of them, to you forming their opinion of you. Let me say that again, you forming their opinion of you.
    Example: If, while giving your pitch to the corporation you're wearing a suit and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt, their opinion of you will be business focused, and serious - not casual and unfocused. Who whould you rather do business with?

Mike
    Am #124

Quote Originally Posted by Trackday Guru View Post
    Sponsorship is not just about getting companies to give you money. Sponsorship is about obtaining the resources necessary which will allow you to obtain the consumables you'll use throughout the season without footing the entire cost yourself. These consumables are anything that you will use during the course of the season. Tires, fuel, parts and bodywork and food can all be sponsored consumables without major outlays of cash from you.

Every racer in the world has the dream of them riding, racing and testing on someone else's dime. But the reality is that unless you are a nationally recognized (winning) racer, that's a pipedream.

Target sponsors that will help curb the cost of these consumables and you'll be much more effective in your hunt.

Put yourself in the sponsor's shoes. ask yourself: "Did I hear anything that would benefit my company?"

When approaching a propective dealer, never do it without a solid plan, and always keep in the mind the only question the prospective sponsor will be asking himself:

"What will the benefit to me be by sponsoring their race program?"

Begin your hunt by tageting specific companies. You can create your own criteria for the companies to make the list of selected "targets" - then do some research.

The research part entails looking at the company and determining what you want from them (free product, money, name association, etc.), as well as the corporate structure/landscape. After all, it does you no good to create a pitch if you don't know what the company produces, or cannot contact who to pitch it to, right?

Then, when you feel comfortable that you know enough about the company, you create your pitch.

Each pitch is taylor made to the individual company you are going after. Some will blend well with others, but mostly, they're all individual, just as their businesses are individual and unique.

The pitch is extremely important (as you can imagine) because it encompasses everything from what you can do for them, to what you're asking of them, to you forming their opinion of you. Let me say that again, you forming their opinion of you.
    Example: If, while giving your pitch to the corporation you're wearing a suit and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt, their opinion of you will be business focused, and serious - not casual and unfocused. Who whould you rather do business with?

great info...

so far my letters have been individually personalized, and sent both electronically and hard copy, with a variety of offerings in return of assistance.

hey, if you've got something that works, post it up and help the others.

And good for you!

Mike
    Am #124

hey, if you've got something that works, post it up and help the others.

And good for you!
    i'm more than willing to share with those i know work hard and deserve it... posting it in a public forum may end up flooding their emails with look-alike letters

"Hello Mr Suzuki, or whatever your name is...

I plan on racing a stock 91 GS500E up in Loudon in 2008. And before you ask, no I'm not racing in any of the national classes. I think my total inability to get a proper racebike for any of the available classes makes me special, and by special I mean ready to reap the rewards of total sponsorship. I like to keep things simple, so rather than negotiating amounts or anything, just give me a corporate card I can use to pay all of my racing, and pseudo racing related expenses. In return, I promise that your daughter will eventually be returned to you in a 'like new' condition, and I mean that in the sleazy used car salesman way.

Here's to hoping for a productive working relationship.

Your Friend and Family Abductor,
    Joshua Coombs"

Unless you're the next Eric Guilbransen or Tommy Eckfeld, expect a 10% discount on parts for your race bike from BCM. No discount on labor as far as I know, at least not for me...
    Don't get me wrong, 10% is better than nothing - AND the support they (Kyle) give me at the track is second to none. Excellent group of guys.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

I had a sponsor through my fathers bussiness. The pitch he gave to me was i had to sell a bike a weekend up there a make more than i spent. I have since lost the sponsor and am looking for something else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    Unless you're the next Eric Guilbransen or Tommy Eckfeld, expect a 10% discount on parts for your race bike from BCM. No discount on labor as far as I know, at least not for me...
    Don't get me wrong, 10% is better than nothing - AND the support they (Kyle) give me at the track is second to none. Excellent group of guys.

Thanks for that heads up. Kyle is who mentioned this to me. I still haven't heard back.
    Gotta get the Duc motor refreshed soon.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

EXACTLY! I work at a dealership and its amazing how many people will just make demands of the dealership expecting us to give out a couple bikes and what-not and there is no mention of what the racer will be doing to *earn* the support. You've got to be able to sell what you can do for your sponsor not just what you want the sponsor to do for you. It's a basic concept but one that a majority of those looking for sponsorship fail to understand.

-kim

drz400sm

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2473/3532494258_79ceb54614.jpg

On this same note, I've had people actually ask me to send a resume, but have no idea what a racing resume should look like and entail. Anyone have tips on that sort of thing? Is it basically just what I'm trying to accomplish and where I've been, or should it be more in depth, where I see myself in a couple years, all that sort of thing?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast