Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive

Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive

I started this way too late last year, ultimately culminating in not racing due to budget blowout getting the machine built.

Budget or not, I'm racing in 2013. I have the machine, I'm finishing it as we speak. Figure this time around I'll start the begging BEFORE everyone has locked in for 2013 already.

So, nothing's changed from my last plea:

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 Sponsorship Drive
    Quick and dirty resume: Started road racing pitbikes in 2005, that addiction got redirected into real road racing in 2008. Managed to put a GS500E on the box a few times as a novice, put an ailing KTM 520SX on the podium as a novice while turning my best lap time of 1:25, got approved to bump to AM but stopped racing in 2010 to buy a house.

The Plan: I'm reviving a 1992 Yamaha FZR400 RR SP to run in ULSB. I will not be 'underbiked' this year. If LRRS lets me I'll hit the track sporting orange plates, if not I get to restart as a novice, either way my plan is to bump early and often. I don't expect to be seeing the podium much once I get out of NV given the talent in that class, but I'm going to try just the same.
    I'm sporting orange plates, the FZR is in my garage. I've got a new transponder, a set of Held Titans, and a spiffy clean Vanson suit.

I'm lacking a helmet and boots, and my bike is desperate need of a paint job.

I'm eager to play and willing to work for it. I'll try and get a proper resume together shortly for those that are interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive-photo-12-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive

Will you have some lap times on this bike this year (per endurance race or track days?)

Five dollar!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Will you have some lap times on this bike this year (per endurance race or track days?)
    Not likely, the vintage guys would freak if I showed up with it for the endurance, and I'm trying to save as much as I can for next year so I won't be spooning on the new slicks in the basement until it's actually go time. I do plan on a Thur practice and Friday school to start the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Not likely, the vintage guys would freak if I showed up with it for the endurance, and I'm trying to save as much as I can for next year so I won't be spooning on the new slicks in the basement until it's actually go time. I do plan on a Thur practice and Friday school to start the season though.
    OK. From my perspective, the offers you may find from the motorcycle community (including what I had in mind) may and should be associated with results/performance.

You can try finding local business owners in your area who have more money than they know how to spend, who may think it's worth it to give you some cash to say they have a "race team"

OK. From my perspective, the offers you may find from the motorcycle community (including what I had in mind) may and should be associated with results/performance.

You can try finding local business owners in your area who have more money than they know how to spend, who may think it's worth it to give you some cash to say they have a "race team"
    Agreed. I honestly don't expect anything to come from this as it's completely the wrong way to go about the process. I'm an unknown on an unknown machine entering a class where if I do well and bump I have nearly zero chance of ever seeing the podium again. What record I do have is now 3 years old and on hardware that wasn't competitive. A forum post is about as little effort as I can get for pursuing anything which again looks bad for me, especially combined with no pics, no plans beyond 'I wanna race' and no proper resume.

I'm going to try and get a resume assembled and do this the right way as well, but figured the first try on here was amusing reading to me at least (How do you top Carrot Top livery?) and bizarrely I did get some information and pointers out of it so why not continue the tradition?

Besides, Doc's already offered to buy me a round of chicken fingers ($5) so I've got one day's lunch figured out now.

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

If you need sponsors, my son, come on over to the dark side......and let me help you

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mike
    Am #124

Wait, you mean there is a darker side than the addiction to the speed and what we'll do to just to get back on track one more time?!

Kewl!

Minor update - The bike may see a track day in Sept or Oct for a shake down run given current developments. I'll need to find a set of take offs as I don't want to start the clock ticking on the new slicks I've got but it's looking like I'll have it buttoned up for far less than I anticipated, sooner than planned. Oh, and I'll need to figure out a helmet by then also... hrmm...

I has helmet and take offs...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

It lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggufM1SdNC8

At some point I need to put some serious TLC into the bodywork, along with a proper paint job. For now, 'amateur hour' at the sticker shop will have to suffice.

Note the large expanses of bodywork begging for logos...

On the needed gear front, I broke down and bought a new Shoei Quest, one of the top rated helmets with Sharp for a good price. That and I went ahead and mounted my slicks in prep for it's first outing, BoMo on the 14th. The tires will have spent two winters in the basement by the time I see a green flag so I figure a track day before then on them is justified. Progress has been made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive-photo-3-jpg   Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive-photo-2-jpg   Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive-photo-1-jpg  

Last edited by Kurlon; 09-08-12 at 06:45 PM.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Slow clap. Niiiiiice.

Dude...top notch. What kind of slicks are those?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Dude...top notch. What kind of slicks are those?
    Bridgestones

Bridgestones
    Word. Better win some good contingency with those bro!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Tracktime - Check!

Bike attended and survived a day in the sun with Boston Moto on the 14th. I was able to confirm that I have a competitive package for ULSB, now I just have to learn how to utilize it.

Boom, 2013 is happening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kurlon - 2013 Sponsorship Drive-img_1684-jpg  

Now seems like a good time to bump this to the top... I now HAVE to get new boots after putting my kickstart lever through the bottom of my ye olde Alpinstar GPSs, there is no pressing them into one more year of service now.

you still need a helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    you still need a helmet?
    Nope, I'm set there with a new Shoei Quest. Appreciate the thought though!

Helmets are consumables. You always need a helmet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D