Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kurlon's delayed race report

Kurlon's delayed race report

Showed up Thursday evening, setup camp, and tried to figure out where everyone was going to pit/camp this weekend with 75% of the infield either ripped up or roped off.

Friday was Penguin Advanced School. Thanks to the crappy forecast, a ton of people were scared off, leaving just two attendees. As a result, I got a day of dedicated one on one time with Eric Wood and Carl Mcallister. In addition to a ton of pointers, I also learned how to evaluate my own progress, and improve it. For those that haven't taken this class, it is WELL worth it. Best money I've spent on racing by far.

I was graced with the opportunity of using Dan's spot in Ziptie Alley's garage for the weekend, so I left my gear there. Working out of a garage rocks, thank you again ZTA!

Saturday - Production Twins was my first race. Got a good start, dove into one without braking and managed to get a few people by surprise. Harrison stayed just out of reach, I could keep him in sight but couldn't keep him from slowly walking away from me. 1:33.086 to Harrison's 1:31.163 gave Harrison 1st place, me 2nd. Oh, and a new personal best. : )

2nd race of the afternoon, LW Superbike. Yeah, I have no business running a GS500 in a class targeted for built SV650s, but we're a bunch of novices so why not? Again, hard out of the gate, got some people in turn 1. Passed at least one SV mid race, dropped a 1:32.870 for a new personal best. Garnered a 3rd place finish.

Sunday - During practice a couple expert PTwiners joined us to show the EX500 guys the hot line. I tried to take on one of them and instead got treated to one hell of a tow. Damn fun, and GD do they BLAST through 6...

Went out for GTL, again pulled a great launch and caught more sleepers in turn 1. Battled with an RS125 for a bit, good fight going till he overcooked turn 6 in front of me. Next lap, a 600 I beat through 1 earlier in the race motored by me in 1 only to overcook 3 and visit the tire wall... damn near target fixated on him and followed... All in all a good session, although I would have liked for the RS125 rider to have stayed in the game as I enjoyed the cat and mouse chess match we had going. Got 5th in class which was a little disappointing, pulled a 1:32.030, a new personal best.

Timing and scoring goofed the grid sheets, replicating race 11's novice MW PTwins grid as the race 5 AM MW PTwins grid. I informed them of their mistake, but they never updated the sheet. Honcinglyannoyingscreennametoremember was legitimately supposed to be in that race, and joked about us having a good fight if I snuck in. Dana said I should try and grid for giggles, others suggested the same noting the worst that could happen is I'd get turned around off pre-grid... So I gridded. After my transponder was checked, and I was noted as being present, an official noticed my plates didn't match the others... and came over to ask me about it. I explained the grid situation, he confired with the pre-grid officials... and they eventually had to radio for a referee. After more discussion, they informed me that they couldn't let me out there and sent me back to my pit... oh well. That evening during the award ceremony, I was called to receive a 2nd place plaque for AM MW PTwins... someone should have grabbed that for me... my first AM wood as a novice.

My last race of the day was novice MW PTwins. My lone competitor, a rider on an Aprilia SXV 550 that I didn't recognize. I was either going to get my posterior handed to me, or I'd luck out and he'd be a real noob that I could abuse to garner my first 1st place wood... I decided I needed to follow him on pit out to see he ran for a line, etc. Unlike prior races, I hadn't bothered to run my warmers before this race, I used them on a lark this weekend, but figured at my pace they weren't doing any for me... As we setup for T3, the Aprilia, along with a few others in front of him all checked up hard, and rather than risk spooking people by late braking and sliding up the inside, and loosing my chance to see this guy's line, I checked up as well, dropping a couple gears to keep the lil GS from lugging badly. Well... once these guys tipped in, they nailed their throttles and shot through T3 and T4. Game On! I tossed in, grabbed a handful, and promptly floated valves just past the transition to the hill. No problem, up shifting while hanging off to the right cranked over is nothing new for me so I grabbed a new gear without thinking about it.

Lit the back end up, and promptly lowsided going up hill. I did a superman impersonation sliding on my stomach, and ripped my right arm open on my nice new leathers. I also jammed my throttle, bent the clipon and brake lever... preventing me from participating in the race. I lost the warm up lap... d-oh! All thanks to not remembering that I was on cold tires, and down a couple gears.

Now, for some additional detail as to why my mini's and GS500 are up for sale after my best weekend yet in LRRS: I'd love to say it's 'cause I scored a killer deal on a tricked out race bike that's a better match for me and NHMS. Unfortunately the opposite is the case, I am retiring from all forms of racing.

The lead up to this weekend was a study in frustration trying to prep my bike for the new season. No garage and no enclosed trailer meant I was trying to do my thing in a parking lot while avoiding blocking traffic. A bunch of things I wanted to get done I just couldn't, and what I did too much longer than it should have. My normal garage space that I sneak into occasionally wasn't available as planned, and isn't looking to be accessible much at all this summer. Both my minis have been due for TLC and I've not been able to do much of anything with them either.

So it all boils down to me needing a house, with space for an enclosed trailer, or ideally a garage already present. Anything less is going to leave me really frustrated as I try to keep my machines in safe working order. Thanks to the real estate marking taking a dive, most of the markets in my area are considered 'distressed' meaning all the wonderful first time home buyer programs out there aren't an option, and I need a bigger than normal down payment to have any chance at getting a loan.

Anyone who's seen my minis or even the GS will know that I don't do things half-assed, which means there is no such thing as cheap racing for me. I can afford to race, OR save money for a house, but not do both. I can't stand seeing my machines sit and rot due to lack of maint, and my normal garage space isn't available to me to give them the TLC they deserve. So I've decided that the best thing to do right now is step away from the track, unload the bikes so the temptation isn't there, and try to tuck cash away in hopes of improving my living accommodations. I'm 31 years old and pretty certain that once I step away from the sport I won't make it back, but my current situation won't let me enjoy the hobby properly, so this is likely my last race report.

Many thanks to Turn 1A, and Zip Tie Alley, you guys rock, both on the track, and hanging out after.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 05-11-09 at 10:52 PM.

Re: Kurlon's delayed race report

NOOOO! Josh, seriously, I was looking forward to bumping up to AM with you. We were right around the same pace (give or take a little time that as a novice can be gained and lost in a single day).

Congrats on a final weekend, regardless.

Hope you'll be back.

Ps. You can store your toys in my garage if it will keep you in the game.

Joshua,
    Congrats on posting 3 personal bests this weekend, but I have a question.......what in the hell are you thinking?? If you enjoy racing, just do whatever it takes to keep on keeping on!

Which is going to make you more miserable, quitting racing or quitting racing?

Sorry to hear Josh. Maybe you could work something out with someone local to store your bike...

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Damn dude, dont quit! Get a storage unit or something, they're fairly cheap! Sucks bro, sorry to hear it, hopefully something else will come up.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Great report, up until the part about you hanging it up. I knew it was coming from our talk in email, but still, it's a damn shame. I hope the house thing works out for you, and I hope you come back once you've got all that sorted out.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Do what you have To do. its all good Except the never come back to Track thing. Take a break Get yourself a House If thing$ turn around You can can Try racing again. I did not see the race track before I was 35.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Yes, that ape 550 was going good. Total bummer, but as mentioned do what you need to do...honestly it won't be too late to come back to the track in the future. Either way best of luck with what you decide.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

JOSH??? congrasorrytohear I hear you on the one side but .... maybe keep just one to tinker on over the next couple of years. You never know how life is going to turn around .....

anyway it was great to have raced with / against you last year.

some one on the board has this quoted a little differently but......

"better to have raced for a moment, than never to have raced at all"

Good Luck Josh

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Josh, how bout a rental race bike....

CCS/LRRS #83

I appreciate the comments and ideas, but right now there is more than just storage at play, cash flow is a big chunk of the equation, along with a couple other things that frankly aren't forum material. If things line up correctly you bet I'm going to try to get back, but right now it's not the right thing to do.

I hear ya dude, hopefully youll be able to get up and pit bitch for us now and again, at the very least.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Josh, pleasure as always seeing you this weekend and sorry to hear you'll be leaving the paddock. I really hope you get everything squared away and can make it back soon.

Boston --> San Diego

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I appreciate the comments and ideas, but right now there is more than just storage at play, cash flow is a big chunk of the equation, along with a couple other things that frankly aren't forum material. If things line up correctly you bet I'm going to try to get back, but right now it's not the right thing to do.
    I totally respect your decision, But if you get bored On a race weekend, You alway have a place to Hang out in The Alley,

Hell I will even get you a hot dog and a Cola

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    I totally respect your decision, But if you get bored On a race weekend, You alway have a place to Hang out in The Alley,

Hell I will even get you a hot dog and a Cola
    make that 2! Hope to see you back out there, but best of luck with everything!

PS To remember honky's name, being the technical person that you are: its the elements that much be paired when alone. H, O, N, F, Cl, Br, I And before denno does it: NERD ALERT! betch!

Supa Motarded! If you see me backin it in, keep watching...Im about to crash

Zip Tie Alley #237

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

wait ..... what???? Hydrogen oxygen nitrogen flourine chlorine bromine iodine

Ghey nerd alert

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Oh Man,

It has always been great to see you. I love how you were always analyzing things. I respect that a lot. It shows great interest and dedication. I was always rooting for you. This last weekend I could see great strides in your improvement. and was hoping for more from you next weekend.

Hell Brother you got wood and a PB. No one can say they did that with a GS today. That is a good high note.

Even if you are not racing it would still be great to see you around. You can still be part of the scene and get paid for it. That is what I’ve been doing.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

hey Josh- never say never, ok? Sure, hang up the leathers for a couple of seasons and get on track with the bigger stuff in life.....but once a racer, always a racer.... you can't deny it Good luck sorting things out.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Just think about Anthony (648) on that black EX with the red wall wheels. When he pulls up next to us on the grid, nothing but wrinkles in that helment! He's not too old to be out there!

Any one who has hung out with you in the pits knows you love the racing atmosphere too much to quit for long. Hope you will be back. At least come around and corner work or just hang out from time to time.