Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

late race report

late race report

The comeback race report (July)

So after the worst crash of my racing career which found me being put into the turn 3 wall in June by another rider, I got myself and the bike back together to try and pick up where I left off.

Friday Practice
    I had just come off a Tonys Track Day event the week before, feel really good about the bike and myself. I did install a quick throw throttle between then and this Friday practice. I got out for session one and the difference with the new throttle was scary. By the 3rd session I was ok with it, and was just feeling ok with practice. People were now at or above my pace now, so more chance for someone to take me out again. I thought that night that the mental hurdle is going to be harder than I thought to get over.

Saturday Practice:
    I go out, and can't get my head around it. My laps times are all over, people are passing me left and right. I just can't seem to get back in the game quickly. 2nd session on Saturday was a little better for times, and was much more consistent, so thats was a plus. Still VERY nervous about my first race back ... the same race I got taken out in.

GTO:
    Expert crash on start in Turn 1 ... red flag already. This has been the worst race at Loudon this year. We have yet to run the full 20 minutes, or not have a crash on lap 1. We sit on grid for 10-15 minutes while they clean up the 4 bike pileup (I believe everyone was ok). My nerves are just not getting any better with this red flag. Once we are ready to go again, we do another warm up lap back to grid ... still a cold tire start.

I get good start and end up 5th going into turn 3. I panicked and checked over my shoulder 4 times into the braking chute of turn 3 where 4 people went by, and I finally turned it in. Bad move on my part from a safety point. As I went over turn 5 through 6 more people passed me and I just thought about pitting in. I didn't think I could do it. I pressed on though for the entire 20 minute race, hating every corner I took. I did not trust a single person around me. I saw one guy tuck the front into the bowl at high speed, then saw another guy take himself out badly by trying to make a bad pass, almost taking out the other rider too. Not a good first race back. I finished 6th out of 8 starters in my class, and 14th out of the whole wave and only running 21s as my fastest. Worst GT finish ever ... but I made it through.

I came into the pits and just sat with Erin and talked and she was a huge support at this point. I was so disappointed.

MWSS:
    Time to go out again, not looking forward to it, but I have to get back out there. Grid up, get an ok start. Made up couple positions in 1a, and just forced myself to stay looking ahead as we went into turn 3. Did not look back and just went through it, and went over the hill. Couple guys passed me through turn 6, and then that was about it. I had the rest of the race pretty much on my own ... which is what I needed. I just needed to be out there running my laps off with not distractions. I got 11th out of 21, could have been worse, but I've finished 5th in this race before ... so not great. I got my fastest lap down to a 1:20.02, which is getting closer to my pace from the first June Weekend. I ran very consistent times, running less then 2 tenths apart each lap. That was my victory for the day.

Sunday Practice:
    Woke up feeling MUCH better! Got out for both practices and started feeling like myself again. My times in 2nd practice were VERY consistent again, and I felt ready to race.

MWSB:
    I got 10th out of 21 here, and ran in the 20s again. I pretty much ran this race alone as well. I basically let the front group go and just ran my race.

HWSS:
    I got a good start and my buddy Arcy was 2 bikes in front of me. This gave me a carrot. As the first couple laps clicked off I was able to chase him down and pass him going into turn 6. I was starting to have fun again. I got back into the 19s and finished 7th out of 20, which is my best finish in this class.

Overall it was a tough weekend for me. It was much more difficult to move past the crash than I thought I would be. I am happy that I was able to get back down into the 19s before the weekend was done. I still had a tough time with pulling the trigger on passing, which hurt me alot this weekend, but I guess I just am glad to have gotten through it and hopefully move on now.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

late race report

Glad to hear things started to settle down for you on Sunday Jamie. It's tough to get back out there after a crash regardless of the reason. Sounds like you wrapped up pretty well on Sunday. Congrats and don't beat yourself up too much.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

late race report

i was glad to have a TTD the day after the caliper problem to shake the thoughts and even after i dumped her bike i went back out the next session on mine. sometimes you gotta JUST DO IT (no nike pun there). put it in the back of your head and think about it later.
    glad you survived

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports