Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leathers

Leathers

Manufacturers to stay away from when buying a one piece suit?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.ph...&id=1185417660

Live life now!....it has an expiration date!

Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Leathers

Vanson is the top of the line and well worth the money! They use the thickest leather you can get in a suit!
    They will also do repairs to there suit!
    And you can go to the factory in Fall River, MA and try on different suits or even get sized for a custom suit if the off the rack don't suit you!

Leathers

Thanka but that doesn't answer the question

Everyone can see it,

Leathers

Well I would basically apply the same rules to the suit as you would with all the rest of your gear. Buy from a name that you can trust. I would stay away from any little know companies or companies that try to sound like other companies to get you to buy their stuff.

From what I have seen the ones I would stick to are Vanson, Dainese, Alpinestars. I myself own a MotoGP suit I bought off a member here and I think its just fine. Ive seen a few guys up there rocking technic, joe rocket, and fieldsheer.

Littering and........

Re: Leathers

Originally posted by capt1014
    Manufacturers to stay away from when buying a one piece suit?
    If you see a sweet deal on a suit, and you've never heard of the manufacturer, stay away.

Otherwise, most of the the major brands mentioned work well. Personally, I would avoid Joe Rocket, only because I have heard stories of seams and zippers falling apart.

It never got fast enough rebelpacket's Avatar

Leathers

If its too good to be true, it often is.

I paid 900+$ for my full suit. Its cheaper than vanson, but wears just as well. You can tell in the construction. If you find a suit for 500$ brand new, check out how its made. Single stitching and such is no go.

Personally, I've never liked those "motogp" suits. They look flimsy and slightly flashy. The leather isnt very thick and feels way to soft. I stay away from them.

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Alex Pearsall #121 ESMRA / #512 LRRS

Leathers

you get what you pay for...the lower end suits will probably hold up in a crash or 2 and the higher doller ones will last a bit longer...and the manuf. typically does repairs....vanson is in MA so that makes it easy.

I would wait for an open house...i got a used 1 piece for $400

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Leathers

Originally posted by rebelpacket
    If its too good to be true, it often is.

I paid 900+$ for my full suit. Its cheaper than vanson, but wears just as well. You can tell in the construction. If you find a suit for 500$ brand new, check out how its made. Single stitching and such is no go.

Personally, I've never liked those "motogp" suits. They look flimsy and slightly flashy. The leather isnt very thick and feels way to soft. I stay away from them.
    I run a motogp suit. the stiching sucks, but in respect to the leather, mine and most of the others I see around are kangaroo, which is thinner, softer, ligheter and more flexable, while being just as stong if not stronger than other leathers. i have crash tested it in 7 turns without having any problem with the leather. I would not take any other leather over the quality of the gp suit. Especially vanson suits that weight 4 times as much, and whos customer service and products ahve been outsourced or gone to complete shit in the past 3 years.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Leathers

I used to think IXS was decent stuff. Leather is thick, armor is good but their zippers SUCK. Mine is currently being held together by zip ties and superglue. And this was with a set that was used less than 25 times (not racing, just day rides and two track days). Until they get some decent zippers, IXS is out in my opinion.

I've heard good things about Syed leathers.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Leathers

Stay away from anything that does not say VANSON.

I've been down many times in four years, not a single problem. Would have gone through at leaset two entry-level suits with possible roadrash.

My Vanson's cost me 700, get them at the open house.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Leathers

I had a two piece with Teknic pants, I went down in a slow corner once in them and the stitching tore the fuck up(turn 3). I then got myself the new Alpinestars stage 1 piece. I've been down 3 times in them, once at very high speed(turn 11 twice, and turn 1), and they are still holding up with very little damage. If you looked at them, you'd have trouble finding out where I slid!

F-teknic, A* is good.

Vanson has a hell of a reputation and a following, can't argue with that.

Dianese has nice stuff, too. $$$

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

Leathers

Been down personally at 35ish and 50ish mph respectively in my A* 2-piece suit, consisting of the "Track Pants", and TZ-1 jacket. Aside from a few scuffs on the leather on both, you'd never know either had hit the ground. The seam was rashed in one spot on the pants, and burned up one layer of stitching, but the seams are still good, and holding together hundreds of street and track miles later.

I know a little about everything, and alot about nothing.

Leathers

Originally posted by souljah996
    Vanson is the top of the line and well worth the money! They use the thickest leather you can get in a suit!
    This actually isn't true at all. Vanson uses THINNER leather than other competitors, its the fact that their suits are so stiff that people actually believe the lie about them being thicker--this told first hand from a former Vanson employee (and racer).

Another thing I've noticed about Vanson wearers is that they all seem to have tell-tale elbow rash after a crash. I used to walk around the paddock and see people with their elbows wrapped in gauge and they've always been Vanson wearers.

I don't know if the quality has gone down in the last 2-3 years but I've had two JoeRocket suits that have been abused left and right yet have never let me down (or hurt).

In addition, some of the newer brands use kangaroo hides which allow for thinner leather than cow hides with equal or great burn through protection.

The key is that if you're going to get a brand name suit, get the best they offer, becase that is what their reputation is built upon. MotoGP makes fantastic stuff, but don't get the low end model, it won't be the same.

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Leathers

Little company... great suit:

www.syedleathers.com

Went down "several" times... never a scratch.

I'd put them up against any high end suit. See for yourself at any trackday... my suit is always available for inspection.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Leathers

Originally posted by 35racer
    Little company... great suit:

www.syedleathers.com

Went down "several" times... never a scratch.

I'd put them up against any high end suit. See for yourself at any trackday... my suit is always available for inspection.
    I'll be ordering mine from these guys, custom made to my monkey size once I get my Christmas bonus

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Leathers

Congrats!

You'll be pleased.

I always liked their stuff. And the fact that you get a CUSTOM MADE suit for the same price as other people's "off the rack"... you can't go wrong.

My current suit is like 5 years old and looks new.

All I do is follow the directions on their FAQ page. Basically, I clean it and treat it once per year with some leather conditioner.

Takes about 20 minutes, and keeps the suit clean and supple.

Remember, brittle leather is very bad. You should be able to easily fold the leather without it wanting to crack or split.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Leathers

I got a Syed suit. Its pretty nice. Took a nice chunk of leather out of the knee, when I went down in T12 last trackday.

's cool though. Sent it out to them and they shipped it back to me almost right away.

They should call Production Twins what it really is, Shitty McBikefest. Rules for Participation: If your bike runs lower laptimes than a lawnmower, you are not eligibile for Shitty McBikefest. -Darrell

Leathers

Originally posted by TheIglu
    I'll be ordering mine from these guys, custom made to my monkey size once I get my Christmas bonus
    The service is great. So easy to deal with and friendly. I bought from vanson, and in my opinion they couldnt give a rats ass about the average customer, and the fit of my custom jacket showed it. Syed was exactly the opposite. They went out of their way to make sure I was happy.

I crash tested the syed, and while it wasnt a bad crash, the suit still looked brand new.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Leathers

Originally posted by rebelpacket
    I got a Syed suit. Its pretty nice. Took a nice chunk of leather out of the knee, when I went down in T12 last trackday.

's cool though. Sent it out to them and they shipped it back to me almost right away.
    Frankly, I'm shocked you were able to rip the leather somehow... especially in a Turn 12 crash?

Did you figure out what happened? Did you sustain any injury?

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Leathers

Originally posted by 35racer
    Frankly, I'm shocked you were able to rip the leather somehow... especially in a Turn 12 crash?

Did you figure out what happened? Did you sustain any injury?
    Well, yea. I was experimenting with tire pressures, and the front wasnt hot enough, and pushed. Somehow, the bike ended up on top of me. I'm pretty positive during this transistion, something sharp (footpeg) jammed into the knee area and tore a chunk out.

The only injury I sustained was a dime sized raspberry on my elbow, likely from the friction of me, with the added weight of my bike on my back, sliding on the tarmac.

I was up and riding with no problems in the next session. SYED charged me 60$ for the repair. They threw in new leather on the elbow where I crashed, seemingly as a bonus?

Leathers

Yeah... I suppose if something like a peg hit you, it could tear the leather.

I've been fortunate enough to never tangle with my bike in any of my crashes.

Even when I jumped off my bike on the outside of Turn 7 going pretty fast... my leathers were perfect... until the ER docs cut them off of me.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Leathers

I got a Teknic 2 pc. suit before I found out they were crap.

I am pretty sure I will find out IF it is crap this race season .

I like it so far.

Although I do plan on getting it double stiched in areas.

Last edited by Doc; 11-17-06 at 07:47 AM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

leather suits

Vanson, went down a few times, burnt a hole in my ass-hurt like hell!! Got a Syed and been down about ten times, they are still in great shape!!!

Leathers

What is everyone's thoughts or experience with AGV leathers?

Everyone can see it,

Leathers

Originally posted by capt1014
    What is everyone's thoughts or experience with AGV leathers?
    I wear their helmets!...?? (Again, not answering your question...)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast