Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lever guards

Lever guards

OK I'll admit up front i haven't done a thread search so sue me if this was covered already...but I think we have to have these this year, so who's got the deals and which ones are any better than others? I know Eric was promoting his new product and I don't doubt them. Just wondering about all the options before I pull the trigger. I have 2 bikes so cost is a factor for sure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #387

Re: Lever guards

Get the woodcraft ones

well you should be sponsored by Woodcraft so it would be a no brainer.

the Dion Device also looks nice http://www.leovinceusa.com/Dion_Device.php

I have the Woodcraft ones and ran them last year. Pretty sure they saved me on the start of one of the races last year when Bubba Landry decided to wheelie into me hahaha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

are these mandatory this year??

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Dunno if they are required yet noone has seen a rulebook yet :/

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    Dunno if they are required yet noone has seen a rulebook yet :/
    It's on Facebook under the LRRS group

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I've ridden with the Rizoma Pro-Guards, talked with two riders who had incidents with the Woodcrafts (1 crash, 1 rider impact), and had a lengthy conversation with Chris Killen of Dion Device about his product and ridden my team mates GSXR with the DD installed.
    Here's my thoughts and opinions:

First, they are all easy to installed, high quality pieces that provide protection for your brake/clutch lever(s). The Woodcraft and Rizoma only cover the outside of the lever, but also provide crash protection as well. The DD covers the entire lever and has a break away function that moves it away from lever/clip-on if it is snagged from behind. The carbon fiber guard curves back sticks out past the bar-end that in theory, acts as a slider in a low-side.

- Woodcraft has a great sponsorship program, they are the local shop, and the price can't be beat. That being said, I think this should be everyones first choice. The guards come as a set, are very well constructed and look really good installed.
    - DD is constructed out of CNC machined aluminum and has a outer carbon fiber guard attached to the end. Last year they offered a club racer sponsorship program. With their new AMA contract, Im not sure if that is an option anymore. Easy to install, unique look and great safety features. It's not intrusive to lever operation either. This is my personal guard of choice. When I get one, it will be a Dion Device.
    - Rizoma Pro Guards actually double as a bar end slider as well. The length of the lever guard itself is adjustable, but feels flimsy. It's constructed of delrin plastic, but is not as beefy compared to the Woodcraft guards. They are, like all Rizoma products very high quality and well built. Cheaper than the Dion, more $$ than Woodcraft.

All in all, I think racing/track riding with a lever guards is a very good idea. 9 times outta 10, everything is fine...but it's that 10th time that will get ya...a lever guard very well could give you that one more chance of staying on the rubber, and off the asphalt. For me, it's a budget thing at the moment. They are all good, let your sponsorship opportunities and wallet decide!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Is the lever guard requirement listed under section 19 of the rule book? Did a search on the 2013 rulebook, there is no mention of a lever guard being required.

I did a quick read through, no mention of them that I noticed.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    It's on Facebook under the LRRS group
    In my defense the rulebook got loaded to the LRRS fb page about 10 mins after i said noone had seen it yet gonna be a fun season!!!

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

They may not be required but after shorting someones clutch lever with them during a race, I won't run without them now. I don't want to know what would have happened if I had taken that impact on the brake lever going into 3. Cheap insurance for those close pucker moments. And mine were the Woodcraft, just a few scratches afterwards.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Does anyone run off road bark busters? I was thinking they would look a little different and do the same job.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Does anyone run off road bark busters? I was thinking they would look a little different and do the same job.
    All us motard folk do. I don't have any issue with them besides trying to straighten them out after a crash...that being said, they can handle a shit load of crashes before needing to replace them.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    All us motard folk do. I don't have any issue with them besides trying to straighten them out after a crash...that being said, they can handle a shit load of crashes before needing to replace them.
    Some people have concerns of what will happen to your wrists if you impact something and then go up and over the bars with your hand/arm being caught in the barbusters. That is why the Dion Device has a breakaway feature when going away from the bar.

As JettaJayGLS mentioned the motard class for the most parts uses some type of barkbuster, I'm guessing more for protection from crash damage than brake lever protection but nonetheless they are used and whatever the reason they are being used they offer the benefit of keeping your front brake from being applied accidentally due to an impact with another rider or bike.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Some people have concerns of what will happen to your wrists if you impact something and then go up and over the bars with your hand/arm being caught in the barbusters. That is why the Dion Device has a breakaway feature when going away from the bar.

As JettaJayGLS mentioned the motard class for the most parts uses some type of barkbuster, I'm guessing more for protection from crash damage than brake lever protection but nonetheless they are used and whatever the reason they are being used they offer the benefit of keeping your front brake from being applied accidentally due to an impact with another rider or bike.

Joel
    I think the big reason these are not used on road bikes is because of the ease of application to handlebars as comapred to clip-ons. Not sure how you would go about attaching them to clip ons....

I've heard the argument before about your hand slipping through and going over the bars. It is definitely a scary thought and warrants concern, but the best defense against it is that there are a million more people (myself and a lot of forum members included) crashing dirtbikes everyday, and this isn't really an issue for them.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Although I have barkbusters on my motard bike (like most of them do), there is a chance that you can get your arm caught in there in a crash. However, after years to both road and woods riding I'm still using them so I must not feel the risk is too high. However, they do not fit on most road race bikes - way too many interferance issues.

I looked at the Dion Device and thought that it was nicely put together. The advantages we have (from my view) is that will not have interference issues that the Dion Device will see on some bikes - especially a few that I know have tight clearances with the stock upper fairing stay, we have external protection for your hand if you fall and are still holding on to the bar, and ours are considerably less expensive.

We realize that no one product is ever going to be perfect for everyone. We are going after the market of riders that want a cost effective guard that protects both the hand and the lever, and that has inexpensive replacement parts after a fall. It follows the line of thought we try to use for all of our stuff.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I think the big reason these are not used on road bikes is because of the ease of application to handlebars as comapred to clip-ons. Not sure how you would go about attaching them to clip ons....

I've heard the argument before about your hand slipping through and going over the bars. It is definitely a scary thought and warrants concern, but the best defense against it is that there are a million more people (myself and a lot of forum members included) crashing dirtbikes everyday, and this isn't really an issue for them.
    I have Cycra Handguards on my motard as well and never had an issue with them. Just pointing out one of the reasons I have heard that people wouldn't want to install something like that onto a roadrace bike. You and Eric also bring up a great point about the interference issues encountered with bikes with fairings and clip ons.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    They may not be required but after shorting someones clutch lever with them during a race, I won't run without them now. I don't want to know what would have happened if I had taken that impact on the brake lever going into 3. Cheap insurance for those close pucker moments. And mine were the Woodcraft, just a few scratches afterwards.
    Yeah, but if the other bike had lever guards they might have hooked like horns.

PS, the other bike will be running guards this year so please don't try that again. Thanks!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

So they def are not required this year? I am getting a set one way or another, but if they're not required yet I can focus on a few other things first.

LRRS #387

If it's not in the rulebook (which it's not) they aren't required.

i just installed the Woodcraft ones on my bike. pretty simple install, but you'll need to order the extra long clip-on bars

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Yeah, but if the other bike had lever guards they might have hooked like horns.

PS, the other bike will be running guards this year so please don't try that again. Thanks!
    In my defense the first time wasn't planned either. I will do my best and hope that is enough in the future. Maybe I should try knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    In my defense the first time wasn't planned either. I will do my best and hope that is enough in the future. Maybe I should try knitting.
    I hear old people like bridge. Just sayin...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast