Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

life without flags...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Re: life without flags...

wow... WTF was going on there.... whoever was in charge should be ashamed of themselves...

Someone needs to get a beating.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Someone needs to get a beating.

KB
    Yeah. Colin Edwards for throwing gravel onto a live track.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Yeah. Colin Edwards for throwing gravel onto a live track.
    maybe he thought the dirt would soak up all the oil

that's pretty horrendous... hah and I loved the dude hiding behind the guard rail waving the yellow in the first half of the clip, as if anyone on the track can see it

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Riddle me this, if you get the blue flag what are you expected to do? First notion would be to get the hell out of the way of the leaders coming through, but we're taught repeatedly to stay on line and be predictable and the fasty guys will make their way through. I would think that someone taking a blue flag and trying to get off the line would cause more problems if the leader and 2nd place are trying to split him or something.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Riddle me this, if you get the blue flag what are you expected to do? First notion would be to get the hell out of the way of the leaders coming through, but we're taught repeatedly to stay on line and be predictable and the fasty guys will make their way through. I would think that someone taking a blue flag and trying to get off the line would cause more problems if the leader and 2nd place are trying to split him or something.
    yea, good point. The way it looks in the video, the leader just totally clipped him, he stayed straight and predictable and the leader just ran him over point blank. Hope he made some apologies in the pit...

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    yea, good point. The way it looks in the video, the leader just totally clipped him, he stayed straight and predictable and the leader just ran him over point blank. Hope he made some apologies in the pit...
    LOL, no apologies from that guy. That was typical Carl Fogarty bullshit. The commentators are english so they automatically love carl and will not criticise him on air.

I have met Carl Fogarty 3 times and every time he was a dickhead to all around him.

Stupid to throw more shit on the track, but I'm suprised Edwards didn't choke someone.
    There's another clip out there of Schwantz taking the debris flag out of someone's hand and waving it on the track (after he fell in oil).

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

makes you appreciate good flagging. You could say we rely on it.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

NHMS definitely does things differently than other tacks, but that was ridiculous! There should have been some acknowledgment of the oil....hell, you could see it!!

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Ok, there's a lot more to it but basically it comes down to;

--> The U.S. Marshalls runs race control and the corner workers for LRRS/NHMS races. The core group is probably the best trained and experienced motorcycle racing corner working and track safety group in the country. During the races, each corner is headed by a corner captain. There's quite a bit of training that goes into becoming a captain with the USM.

Because of this, they can Put out any flag or, take any action they deem necessary. The only thing they can't do is call a red flag. However, all they have to do is call " STOP " on the radio and the race is "red flagged".

--> The FIM ( WSBK, MOTOGP ) often use the warm body or friends method of staffing. When they come to the US they often contract with car racing groups to provide corner working services. There's a lot more to it but, It basically comes down to the fact that the corner workers aren't trusted or empowered to do anything. They're not allowed to put out ANY flag without the permission of race control. At many of the US events, not only can't they put out a flag, they can't leave their station until all activity on track has stopped.

It's a trust in training and personnel.

How many regular racers at Loudon have watched someone crash in front of them only to find a clear track when they come around on the next lap?? When you remember the average lap time is under 1:30 you can start to understand how good the CW's with the USM/LRRS are.

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

I appreciate all the dedicated hard work these people put into helping us stay safe! You however did forget to mention that they are mostly volunteers. My hats off to each and everyone for doing the job they do.

This is also why I always donate a few cases of beer every weekend to the cook out they do. It is the very least I could do to say thanks.

Cheers, Brew

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post
    Ok, there's a lot more to it but basically it comes down to;

--> The U.S. Marshalls runs race control and the corner workers for LRRS/NHMS races. The core group is probably the best trained and experienced motorcycle racing corner working and track safety group in the country. During the races, each corner is headed by a corner captain. There's quite a bit of training that goes into becoming a captain with the USM.

Because of this, they can Put out any flag or, take any action they deem necessary. The only thing they can't do is call a red flag. However, all they have to do is call " STOP " on the radio and the race is "red flagged".

--> The FIM ( WSBK, MOTOGP ) often use the warm body or friends method of staffing. When they come to the US they often contract with car racing groups to provide corner working services. There's a lot more to it but, It basically comes down to the fact that the corner workers aren't trusted or empowered to do anything. They're not allowed to put out ANY flag without the permission of race control. At many of the US events, not only can't they put out a flag, they can't leave their station until all activity on track has stopped.

It's a trust in training and personnel.

How many regular racers at Loudon have watched someone crash in front of them only to find a clear track when they come around on the next lap?? When you remember the average lap time is under 1:30 you can start to understand how good the CW's with the USM/LRRS are.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    I appreciate all the dedicated hard work these people put into helping us stay safe! You however did forget to mention that they are mostly volunteers. My hats off to each and everyone for doing the job they do.

This is also why I always donate a few cases of beer every weekend to the cook out they do. It is the very least I could do to say thanks.

Cheers, Brew
    I'll make a point to try and visit them in the corners once a weekend.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

What a mess...

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Quote Originally Posted by palanon View Post
    When you remember the average lap time is under 1:30 you can start to understand how good the CW's with the USM/LRRS are.
    I'm thankful for cornerworkers AND for having an under average lap time

Last edited by jtaylor719; 03-23-09 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Mmmmmmmmmmm,,,Beeeer

What's better than good beer? freeeee beer!!

Cheers, Brew

Cheers, Brew
    I see it as a win win situation. Having corner worked a few times I say its great. I get into the races for free. You get to watch them from the track. Help out the guys and girls that are out there tearing it up. Meet some cool people that also corner work. Get a free lunch. And they even pay you a few bucks to do it.

So I says thanks for racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I'll make a point to try and visit them in the corners once a weekend.

Yeah try doing it with your pit bike and not sliding into 2

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

3 people from Hillsborough on this thread . I didn't know anyone else in town actually rode.
    If you see a red Hypermotard around, it's me.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor719 View Post
    3 people from Hillsborough on this thread . I didn't know anyone else in town actually rode.
    If you see a red Hypermotard around, it's me.
    Yep, a whole 3 of us i have been riding around already so if you see a blue FZ6 riding around it is me, Keira (Mzdagrl) won't be riding until late sumer, but she has a blue SV650 and we moved into town last October.

I am a corner captain at NHMS and Keira is a frequent corner flagger as well, so if you want to get down there and try corner working out you can tag a long with us and we can show you the ropes at the track. You may have to share some local roads that are cool though.

I'm thinkin theres a good chance I'll be doing some corner working this year...

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    I'm thinkin theres a good chance I'll be doing some corner working this year...
    sweet, i need someone to fill in for me til i stop being a human feeding trough

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    sweet, i need someone to fill in for me til i stop being a human feeding trough
    I will be contacting you guys to find out how to join in on the cw'ing this season. And don't forget to share the trough with Rob!

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by tonup View Post
    I will be contacting you guys to find out how to join in on the cw'ing this season. And don't forget to share the trough with Rob!
    Just report to the scales garage ( Sunoco ) as early as possible. You'll have class in the Media Center at 9:00 am if it's your first time. You'll recieve a corner assignment after lunch.

On Sunday, you report at 7:00am for asignment and report to your corner at 7:45 for a course check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast