Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Logistics of Racing for the first time

Logistics of Racing for the first time

So, I've looked through the rule book, the penguin website, and the LRRS website pretty thoroughly. It seems that not everything is updated for 2012, and some pieces of information don't agree with others, so I want to try to get this all figured out and knock one item off my "what the hell am I thinking trying to race this year" checklist.

Here is what I figure so far...

Sign up for the Friday April 27 Penguin riding school. This will be done as soon as it is confirmed that this is the correct thing to do.

Race license:
    Do I get my license at the end of the rookie race? Do I need to apply for it before hand to get awarded it at the end of the rookie race? The 2012 rule book says the rookie race is the first race on Saturday. Penguin website says its on Friday at the end of the class, but it looks like it has not been updated for 2012. It looks like Saturday AM from 7-9am I can get my license?

The last thing I want to do is go through the whole process on Friday and then not be able to race that weekend.

Registering with LRRS:
    Do I need to register with LRRS? Can I do this before I get my racing license? Can all of this be done in the 1 day after I get my racing license?

Race weekends:
    Do I sign up for races the day of, pre-register, whats the deal?
    What races I can run on a CRF450? From the looks of things, as a novice, I can run the following:
    -Rookie/Formula/Starter 3 (whats the exact different between the 3?)
    -Rookie/Formula/Starter 4

-Thunderbike?
    -LW Sportsman?
    -LWSS?
    -LWSB?

Anything else I missed?

A walk-through of your entire first weekend may be helpful.

If there is a thread covering this exact same information for this year, please send me that, no need to re-type anything. Or if they explain all of this in the penguin school, then I should be all set as well.

Lastly, if this is still being offered, how do I take advantage of these perks in the link below? Just mention it to someone at the track?

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ed-racing.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 02-08-12 at 06:13 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Logistics of Racing for the first time

After your day is done with penguin, they'll ask who plans on racing that weekend. You'll be guided through all the forms, have to pay for your license - $120, and then will be guided through registration and all that jazz. You'll get through all that and go through lrrs reg, and get a tech slip (so you can tech with lrrs...after you pick a # and put those on)

As a novice, if they run things like last year, you'll only be eligible for the 3 novice lw races per weekend. (until you get down to 26's or 27's with a turd, I can't remember the threshold). Most turd dudes run super singles, motard, and either gtl or ulsb. Some dudes do lwsm too, but my typical 3 is as, motard, and ulsb (once you get to am)

With your first weekend, you should definitely take advantage of the first timer discounts, as well as being able to get a xponder for your first 3 wknds.

Really, you'll be guided through everything almost right after penguin, so there's nothing to worry about on that end. If you're wandering around lost, they didnt do their job too well, but just ask somebody. There'll be a bunch of td staffers and attendees you'll likely have met, not to mention nesrians, that'll be glad to help. Myself included. (my fingers are crossed that ill be ready)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Like Chipper said, there will be plenty of people who can help you through the first weekend experience. Finding a racer to act as a pit help is a big plus, they can help you keep your head straight.

Biggest prep item would be to extensively look through the tech section of the rule book and check your bike. Having a last minute surprise through tech is not much fun, especially your first weekend.

Excellent, April 27 Penguin it is.

If you can, arrive Thursday night and camp with the rest of the inmates. Someone will take pity on you and go over your bike with you, etc while winding you up as much as possible so you can't sleep.

Oh, practice your bench racing too.

There are bigger logistics, like an easy up and a piece of carpet to stand on while getting dressed that make a huge difference. These are the things you want to know about.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

So there is no way to get your number ahead of time? It would be nice to take care of all the numbering ahead of time instead of dealing with it the first weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    So there is no way to get your number ahead of time? It would be nice to take care of all the numbering ahead of time instead of dealing with it the first weekend.
    Correct. No way to get it early. You have to rush the first weekend. After that it is much easier.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Correct. No way to get it early. You have to rush the first weekend. After that it is much easier.
    It is all part of the initiation.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    nope, you pick it when you pay for the license. Street & Comp has numbers or you can just use some red tape.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Someone may have detailed this, but the Rookie Race is back to it's old format. You run it on the Saturday of your first race weekend (it is the first race), not during the school itself. It is free for new riders, as it always has been. The difference now is that it will be a four lap race and anyone who is currently a Novice can enter this race and will now comprise the first wave (up to a maximum of four rows). No trophies for this race, but the race is half price for current licensed riders and gives them another chance to get extra track time, practice starts, etc....we thought it would be better use of the track time.

Thanks for everyone else chiming in - you've pretty much covered it. If you want to race, show up Friday with a race prepared machine and we'll guide you through the rest of the process....it's what we've been doing for 39 years.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    Someone may have detailed this, but the Rookie Race is back to it's old format. You run it on the Saturday of your first race weekend (it is the first race), not during the school itself. It is free for new riders, as it always has been. The difference now is that it will be a four lap race and anyone who is currently a Novice can enter this race and will now comprise the first wave (up to a maximum of four rows). No trophies for this race, but the race is half price for current licensed riders and gives them another chance to get extra track time, practice starts, etc....we thought it would be better use of the track time.

Thanks for everyone else chiming in - you've pretty much covered it. If you want to race, show up Friday with a race prepared machine and we'll guide you through the rest of the process....it's what we've been doing for 39 years.
    Good stuff, I'll be there

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    ....it's what we've been doing for 39 years.
    so you guys are fairly new at this then.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Garage #17 Race Team ThunderCycle's Avatar

Welcome to racing. Your apprehension is normal and will soon fade. Take Eric's advice. He'll walk you through it with the Penguin School. Most any of the racers will be happy to answer your questions on race day. It's a great group of people. The LRRS Novice program is one of the best in the U.S. See you there... -Mike