Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

long way to go...

Re: long way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    That's not suicide, that's nothing but a way to make a point. Pete could probably say the entire pledge of allegiance between where I brake and where he does.
    +1 I know where Pete brakes, with a similar setup to mine, and even though I count to 1 (or 2!) past my normal brake marker, I still start braking before he does.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bill Cool --- CRA EX #47 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

I don't know how I forgot to suggest a GPS lap timer. I use the Qstarz timer(until I lost it somewhere in T2 ) and it's definitely accounted for a significant improvement in my times. First year I had it, I used it as a lap timer only; it was pointless from a learning standpoint. Once Lou showed me some of the split timing and how to use it, I started really looking at what I was doing and where; suddenly times started dropping.

To your original question, I do remember when the time to bump seemed unattainably far away. There aren't always fast gains, or big gains. You could drop 3 seconds over a couple events, then fight for a few tenths. Just keep moving forward, and if you're not, do the work and find out why.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Don't get so fast you outrun your budget.
    I dont think Diz has a budget... dont focus on times focus on getting smoother, braking later, throttling sooner and hitting the turns right and the times will drop on their own i dropped 12 secs between my rookie race in Rnd 1 and the end of Rnd 2 and that was before getting my rear suspension dialed in and doing 2 Tonys Days for a ton of practice time.

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Track time, penguin advanced class, confidence in your bike, tires, ability, a competitive mindset, and lastly don't be afraid to crash the bike. In the words of Keith Code, you're just road testing your leathers.

Remember, it's a race. Go out there and take your positions and hold them. Ride like you've got someone on your rear wheel all the time, and if you lose a spot go chase it down and get it back. Fighting for my spots is where I drop laptimes, and if someone passes me I tow behind them, watch their lines and push to keep up.

Talk to the riders on your bike who are faster than you, but you have to get your own brake/throttle/turn markers... And that's just track time to develop them.

A little bit of what works for me... When I'm pushing my markers I write down the marker I want to work on, lets say brake on/trail brake on (tip in) into turn 1, and I just go out in a session to focus on that. The rest of the track i just run my usual lines and markers so I don't overload my brain, and I nudge it up slowly.

But in a race, if someone blows past me in a braking zone, I quickly adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    Track time, penguin advanced class, confidence in your bike, tires, ability, a competitive mindset, and lastly don't be afraid to crash the bike. In the words of Keith Code, you're just road testing your leathers.

Remember, it's a race. Go out there and take your positions and hold them. Ride like you've got someone on your rear wheel all the time, and if you lose a spot go chase it down and get it back. Fighting for my spots is where I drop laptimes, and if someone passes me I tow behind them, watch their lines and push to keep up.
    I wouldn't agree with that. Try not to crash and don't test your leathers is my take. Even if it causes you to be a bit slower. You are a NV in LRRS. Not defending champion in moto gp.
    Also if someone passes you watch their line to learn where to pass them but don't follow and take their line. What works for them doesn't mean it ll work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that. Try not to crash and don't test your leathers is my take. Even if it causes you to be a bit slower. You are a NV in LRRS. Not defending champion in moto gp.
    Disagree, thats how you get faster. The time I dropped the most amount of time ever? When I was battling with Sean Slattery and did not want to give up the position. Every time up the hill from 3 to 4 hed pull up next to be, we'd drag race toward 6, every time I'd say to myself, I'm not braking until he does. Id wait for him to brake, and then I'd brake. Typically, this was a good second or two past where Id normally brake. After a couple laps it just clicked how early I'd been braking before. Battling with someone slightly faster than you will do nothing more than speed you up.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Giant difference between "try not to crash" and don't be afraid to crash. From her first post, she seems scared to crash in 1-1a. Personally, if I had to go down and could pick a spot it would be there. Just trying to instill a little confidence, and what works for me might not work for others, but it's just my opinion. I'm not motogp or expert, but I try to win every race I enter.

What level were you at the time?
    I hope you understand a more experienced rider can adopt/save a fuck or a different line much better than a newer rider who had turned under 40 laps in Nhms

Giant difference between "try not to crash" and don't be afraid to crash. From her first post, she seems scared to crash in 1-1a. Personally, if I had to go down and could pick a spot it would be there. Just trying to instill a little confidence, and what works for me might not work for others, but it's just my opinion. I'm not motogp or expert, but I try to win every race I enter.
    I don't go into my races hoping to lose, but I'd rather lose before crashing at this point of competition. Yes I will push my limits but I won't take unnecessary risks.

About the following part you need to be similar to someone. Gino does 19s on his hawk. I do 25s. If I try to keep up with him ill crash everywhere. You don't drop 6 seconds chasing. Maybe if I was in the low 20s then yeah his marks would make sense.

for some reason a few of the personal bests I've set including my current one I set after Jason Carter passed me and I tried to chase him. he's a good consistent 5-6 seconds faster than my best but for some reason it just works when he goes by. I've been stuck in battles with people only to learn that we were going slower than both of us are capable of. happened last weekend with Braden. I know he can do 18s so when he came by I was pretty happy cause I wanted a tow. we just fought instead and turned 22s I think, maybe some 21s. we're both capable of better but it sure was fun as hell.

I don't try to crash either but I'm not afraid of it. really thinking about crashing while you're riding isn't going to help at all. its why people always struggle in corners they've crashed in. they have trouble getting it out of their head. its something I'm actually good at it.

Right now is about being smooth. Iron that part out and the speed inevitably comes.

There won't be an actual "need" to test your leathers for a long, while. Concentrate on smooth. 1 turn at a time, develop your markers and constantly build from there

What level were you at the time?
    I hope you understand a more experienced rider can adopt/save a fuck or a different line much better than a newer rider who had turned under 40 laps in Nhms
    Amateur. And I'm not saying you should try to latch on with Eric Jeff or Shane, but someone you're battling with, a second or two faster than you. If you're so inexperienced that you cant push yourself a second or two faster safely, well, perhaps knitting is the proper sport for you. (You being a generality, not saying anything about you in particular)

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

You are a NV in LRRS. Not defending champion in moto gp.
    Wait a second, did you infer that I'm a novice? Ohhhh, the picture in my sig. I'm not a novice. I got bumped up my first weekend, and you walked past me and my bike a bunch of times last race weekend. The blue SV with the ducati race plastics, #413, AM plates. I just like that picture.

Wait a second, did you infer that I'm a novice? Ohhhh, the picture in my sig. I'm not a novice. I got bumped up my first weekend, and you walked past me and my bike a bunch of times last race weekend. The blue SV with the ducati race plastics, #413, AM plates. I just like that picture.
    shut up novice

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

No sir, SHE is a novice in LRRs

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    shut up novice

promptly

promptly
    We will have some races together actually if you are in for the classic.

We will have some races together actually if you are in for the classic.
    Gtl maybe. Otherwise, you should stick to ul.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Gtl maybe. Otherwise, you should stick to ul.
    Yes I'm doing gtl

Yes I'm doing gtl
    Not doing the classic, but I'll be in GTL, and the other three LW races, and the endurance race.

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    I dont think Diz has a budget...
    Well... let's just say that I'm committed to having this experience and I'm really loving it.

As for smooth, it's coming together - I think that I need to get the bike back from GMD, put on a set of new tires and ride it without making too many more viariable changes in between events. I feel that part of consistency is also fine tuning your ride and I've been turning a lot of knobs pretty drastically.

I'm happy with my progress considering that round 2 was very consistent and a drastic improvement over round 1. between 1:30s and 1:32s. I'm really less concerned about the lowside in 1a than I may have been perceived. I really wish that it wasn't the last race of the weekend for me, 'getting back on the horse' and all. But I feel like I've got insight into a few of my technical errors that lead to losing traction and I want to I really want to invest some calories in straightening my line though 1a a little.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Anyone want to follow me for a couple of laps in penguin practice?

-diz

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

I won't be on track during the classic but I'll be up there, the offer to chat still stands.

Sometimes drastic changes to the bike are good until you REALLY know what adjustments to make based on how you're feeling. Think of it this way... a 1 click change in suspension, meh you won't really "feel" much of a difference so you don't know if its good or bad. A 5 click change or something more drastic for a couple laps, you'll be able to tell immediately if you're headed in the right direction or not and can adjust from there (just an example).

(Granted you'll probably want to isolate changes like that)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by RyanNicholson; 05-28-13 at 07:07 PM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    Well... let's just say that I'm committed to having this experience and I'm really loving it.

As for smooth, it's coming together - I think that I need to get the bike back from GMD, put on a set of new tires and ride it without making too many more viariable changes in between events. I feel that part of consistency is also fine tuning your ride and I've been turning a lot of knobs pretty drastically.

I'm happy with my progress considering that round 2 was very consistent and a drastic improvement over round 1. between 1:30s and 1:32s. I'm really less concerned about the lowside in 1a than I may have been perceived. I really wish that it wasn't the last race of the weekend for me, 'getting back on the horse' and all. But I feel like I've got insight into a few of my technical errors that lead to losing traction and I want to I really want to invest some calories in straightening my line though 1a a little.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Anyone want to follow me for a couple of laps in penguin practice?

-diz

I've never met you or seen you ride, and I can tell you why you lowsided in 1a at 1:30

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    I've never met you or seen you ride, and I can tell you why you lowsided in 1a at 1:30
    Care to share?

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Lifer

You're holding on to the bars too tight and preventing the front wheel from tracking. Your hands, arms, and shoulders are too tight and need to be relaxed in order for the parts of the bike to follow what they're trying to do.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast