Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for advice - competitive 600cc bike

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Looking for advice - competitive 600cc bike

Putting a feeler out there for some info. I am considering running in the MWSS bracket next year. Sadly I havent ridden an I4 in over 10 years so I know next to nothing about them.

With that in mind I am looking for info on which bike(s) will be able to be competitive? I dont want to invest in a clapped out '02 that is going to be down 15hp from my competition.

Any help would be appreciated

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Looking for advice - competitive 600cc bike

R6

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

GSXRs are huge, aggressive motors and parts are every where and unlimited

R6, or maybe the 2011 GSX-R

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

06 and Up GSXR/ and R6

Quote Originally Posted by PainfullySlow View Post
    I dont want to invest in a clapped out '02 that is going to be down 15hp from my competition.
    HEY!! What the.......

Ride faster, then, grasshopper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    06 and Up GSXR/ and R6
    What pigman said.

I can't imagine you'd go wrong with any of the current generation bikes, Mike.

They each have their very slight advantages - but as someone just starting in the class, those slight differences aren't going to hold you back.

It seems like there are more R6's in the paddock these days, which might be a reason to lean toward that bike (better chance of finding parts/knowledge in a bind)

Having said that, I've always been a Honda guy. If memory serves me, WAY back in the day (1995 timeframe) the Honda 600F3 was being hustled around the track around the 1:16 mark with just suspension mods.

And that was the "old" configuration, which I believe was a bit slower?

Point being, I would worry less about the brand and more about the "package" - trying to get the newest bike with the right mods and extras (such as wheels).

Good luck!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I was wondering why no Honda or Cows myself.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

If you could I would appreciate specific year ranges as well. Ive heard 08+ R6 is a sweet choice but I honestly couldnt tell you the difference which is why I am looking for info.

Ive done some searching but for race specifically there isnt much info. Pros/Cons would help a lot. If someone has experience with multiple bikes something like "The R6 has more power but the GSXR handles better" for instance would help a lot (ive no idea if thats true btw, just an example)

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    I can't imagine you'd go wrong with any of the current generation bikes, Mike.

They each have their very slight advantages - but as someone just starting in the class, those slight differences aren't going to hold you back.

It seems like there are more R6's in the paddock these days, which might be a reason to lean toward that bike (better chance of finding parts/knowledge in a bind)

Having said that, I've always been a Honda guy. If memory serves me, WAY back in the day (1995 timeframe) the Honda 600F3 was being hustled around the track around the 1:16 mark with just suspension mods.

And that was the "old" configuration, which I believe was a bit slower?

Point being, I would worry less about the brand and more about the "package" - trying to get the newest bike with the right mods and extras (such as wheels).

Good luck!
    Thanks Tony, that helps a lot but I would specifically be interested in the "slight advantages" that each offers. I realize that I am going to be a long time in the works on a new bike but with finances the way they are I expect that this bike would need to last me a few seasons so I am looking at getting something that could be a front running potential if/when I am able to ride it at that level. I just dont want to buy a bike, reach my potential, and then find out that I simply cant compete with the "fast guys" due to equipment shortcomings. I should have been more clear in my original post.

Anyway thanks for the info gang, and please keep it coming =)

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 11-04-11 at 10:36 AM.

If you could I would appreciate specific year ranges as well. Ive heard 08+ R6 is a sweet choice but I honestly couldnt tell you the difference which is why I am looking for info.

Ive done some searching but for race specifically there isnt much info. Pros/Cons would help a lot. If someone has experience with multiple bikes something like "The R6 has more power but the GSXR handles better" for instance would help a lot (ive no idea if thats true btw, just an example)

You must also run Dunlop because everyone else that is fast does..

Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Subtle as ever Gino and I am very aware of your point. My reasoning being that coming new into the bracket it would be beneficial for me to be on a tested and proven platform rather than taking a gamble that something else will work. For an example, the entire EX MWSS grid from the last race weekend was 2008 R6s with the exception of 1 other bike! There must be a reason for this, I would like to know the why's of the matter =)

Subtle as ever Gino

Gino

the 06/07 GSX-R is still competative, but i'd say they're on their way out for anyone in Expert.
    if you're looking for a competative GSX-R, you're probably going to have to go with a 2011. they didnt have 2010 in the USA, and the 08-09 generation doesnt seem as popular as the 06/07 was. the 2011 is lighter and comes with Brembo calipers.
    the 06/07 have known braking issues with the master and calipers.

R6 does have more power, but dont crash as well as the GSX-R. in addition, i see much more variety of GSX-R parts online.

if you look at the top EX MW guys, a lot of them are on an R6.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Thanks Tony, that helps a lot but I would specifically be interested in the "slight advantages" that each offers. I realize that I am going to be a long time in the works on a new bike but with finances the way they are I expect that this bike would need to last me a few seasons so I am looking at getting something that could be a front running potential if/when I am able to ride it at that level. I just dont want to buy a bike, reach my potential, and then find out that I simply cant compete with the "fast guys" due to equipment shortcomings. I should have been more clear in my original post.

Anyway thanks for the info gang, and please keep it coming =)
    On the R6 the 08+ is the way to go. They made a throttle body and electronics update that year. It gave the motor more life at lower rpms over the 06 and 07 R6.

James

For an example, the entire EX MWSS grid from the last race weekend was 2008 R6s with the exception of 1 other bike! There must be a reason for this, I would like to know the why's of the matter =)
    Maybe that was the last year Yamaha was paying contingency?

I know it used to be that you had to have the no more than a 2 year old bike to collect, so the fastest guys would upgrade every two years... and the fastest guys would generally run whichever manufacturer paid the biggest contingency.

If you're buying a race bike, then just check in with the top experts and purchase one of theirs as it will obviously have been all set up already.

Of course, we'll have to tweak it to run Pirelli's.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

For an example, the entire EX MWSS grid from the last race weekend was 2008 R6s with the exception of 1 other bike! There must be a reason for this, I would like to know the why's of the matter =)
    ...and if you look back a few years ago eveyone was on Kawis....and before that, Hondas...before that Suzuki...

Lifer

Novice, you can go back over 10 years and be competitive, amateur running front of the pack, 5 years easy, expert 2-3 years, any models. That's with zero talent factor, and talent is the majority of the equation.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

if you hope to be at the front of the EX MW pack I suspect you're gonna need motor work on any bike you get. I know of people who can do 15s and even high 14s with stock motors though.

I believe my 07 CBR600RR with a stock motor has the potential to get there but I certainly aren't the one to do it right now.

from what I've gathered from reading and talking to people. the R6 seems to be a bit sharper and you have to be more precise. while the CBR is a little easier to ride and will handle the little mistakes better.

I've ridden an 09 Kawi 600 with a stock motor and full exhaust, holy fucking power.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Novice, you can go back over 10 years and be competitive, amateur running front of the pack, 5 years easy, expert 2-3 years, any models. That's with zero talent factor, and talent is the majority of the equation.
    A 10 year old MW machine with some suspension is competitive right thru to AM.

Can't speak on whether or not it could be in EX since I'm not there yet however I don't see why at least mid-pack EX results couldn't be acheived.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 11-04-11 at 02:17 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kawis can be a bit finicky to set up suspension/geometry wise. Hondas are a bit soft and the ergos aren't as sharp.

I would say run what you see most of. Thats what people know and it's easier to find parts.

G-man

Gerard

If you can swing it, the '08+ R6. If not, then the '06-'07 R6.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    A 10 year old MW machine with some suspension is competitive right thru to AM.

Can't speak on whether or not it could be in EX since I'm not there yet however I don't see why at least mid-pack EX results couldn't be acheived.
    I agree 100% with you Bergs. However, if you hopped on an 08 R6 I guarantee you would be in the 16's within 2 weekends.

Thanks, Degs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast