Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

looking for advice on first track setup

Re: looking for advice on first track setup

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    that 636 with F/R ohlins is a great start, it is legal in SS the limit is 640cc specifically cause of the 636. lots of parts around for them too

i'm a Kawasaki guy lol

fuck the sv and 125 get a 600

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Gotta admit I'm seeing all upside at this point:

125 - philosophically correct
    SV - practically correct
    636 - militarily correct
    motard - ugly pretty gonzo freakshow

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Gotta admit I'm seeing all upside at this point:

125 - philosophically correct
    SV - practically correct
    636 - militarily correct
    I like this guy.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

best one since "shitty McBikefest"

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

What ever you buy, get it already track ready... Anyone who has bought a street bike and "tracked" it will tell you this.. Unless you want to put it back for street duty as well..

Gman

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    You cant go wrong with any of your choices. With your budget, it comes down to what kind of bike will you enjoy the most? inline4? Twin? GP Bike?

125 - great bike, sometimes frustrating because there is not alot of them at loudon and you find yourself racing LWGP against SV's and sometimes Motards in other classes. Teaches excellent cornering skills and handles unbelievable!

If you decided against the 125, I'd like to know the seller info (PM me)

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott is looking over the Grid sheets at LRRS Event#1 & asks me "No 125's racing in 125 Grand Prix Expert race?" I bought my '98 RS125 back in '06 and had a blast racing it for most of the past 5 racing seasons. Last year I chased after the AHRMA Sound of Singles 2-stroke Championship. Had a great chance of winning it until my wife wanted a divorce in July '10. That messed up my head and forgetting to add pre-mix oil to the race fuel leaves disastrous results (lower con-rod bearing self-destructed).

Over the past winter, Kevin Elliott (CCS) agreed to let the 125 GP bikes race in UltraLight SuperBike and LightWeight SuperBike CCS classes. LRRS followed suit and now there are enough classes to race 125 GP bikes in, that it is worth owning one of these. 125GP, UltraLight SuperBike, LW SuperBike, GTL and LW Grand Prix are five classes that you would have fun racing in, once you get bumped from Novice to Amateur. Obviously 125 GP and UltraLight SuperBike should be the most competitive ones to enter with the bike, since you don't have to compete against SV650 or 1000+cc Ducati Air-cooled twins.

As Mike mentioned, the single-cylinder 125cc RS125 is so simple and easy to work on, as long as you have some half-way decent mechanical skills. Guhl thermostat can be added to eliminate the need for tape on radiator. There are several 125 GP bikes usually at the track & most anyone would be glad to help you with the somewhat steep learning curve of this bike. I weigh around 190# & at 5'10" tall appear somewhat overwhelming sitting on my 125. The trick to riding a 125 is carrying speed through the corners. You need to hit your marks & perfect keeping the motor in the powerband to do well on it.

The SV650 is really a lazy man's machine. A great entry-level race bike with enough mid-range torque that forgives what is required to go fast on a 125 GP bike. I bought a used SV650 for my Instructor bike & consider it a decent rain bike for my TZ250 dry track race bike. Hands down, the RS125 is one of the most fun bikes to ride. Even more fun than a Motard bike.

The new class openings for the 125 have me wishing I could return...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieman14 View Post
    now there are enough classes to race 125 GP bikes in, that it is worth owning one of these. 125GP, UltraLight SuperBike, LW SuperBike, GTL and LW Grand Prix are five classes that you would have fun racing in, once you get bumped from Novice to Amateur
    Good to know, thanks.

the trick to riding a 125 is carrying speed through the corners. You need to hit your marks & perfect keeping the motor in the powerband to do well on it.
    I really dig the idea of getting good on something with less power, and hopefully staying good on a bike with more power.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN226 View Post
    What ever you buy, get it already track ready... Anyone who has bought a street bike and "tracked" it will tell you this.. Unless you want to put it back for street duty as well..

Gman
    you don't need (want) to deal with that the first time around.

personally I'm very biased towards twins so I'd strongly recommend an sv for 'turnkey racing' (is there such a thing?). they're everywhere (think cheap parts) and pretty much bulletproof in supersport trim.

if 650 twins don't do it for you then figure out what does, but realize that bigger bikes (600s) will eat tires much faster and smaller bikes (125s) will require a _lot_ more maintenance (a proper (NV/AM) supersport sv should just need an oil change once a year).

in the end get whatever _you_ want and just know what you're getting in to... find an expert that races that kind of bike and talk to them about it.

Last edited by smf; 04-28-11 at 06:49 PM.
    Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

I have a 1g sv that is available in Medford. It isn't the prettiest, but it ran well the few times I rode it. It has a pile of good parts on it but needs a little tlc and some bodywork. It has the important stuff done, GMD built forks, penske shock, woodcraft rearsets, and yosh full exhaust, and some other odds and ends. All it would probably need is a battery. It passed tech with no problem the last time I rode it 2 years ago. I will be up their Monday if you want to see it. pm me for more info.

Good luck on your search you can't go wrong with any of the bikes you are thinking about.

Mike Green
    LRRS #450 novice
    http://www.mikegreensculpture.com
    '06 svx550
    '04 cr500 af le
    '04 525 smr
    '02 660 sms
    '01 drz 450 sm streetbike
    '99 r7
    '99 sv650
    '86 rg500

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    (a proper (NV/AM) supersport sv should just need an oil change once a year).
    Once a year sounds very infrequent to me, even if you're just doing a season of trackdays Racing would be a lot harder on an engine than TDs even. Why do you suggest just once/year?

Others' thoughts on this?

Bill Cool --- CRA EX #47 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Once a year sounds very infrequent to me, even if you're just doing a season of trackdays Racing would be a lot harder on an engine than TDs even. Why do you suggest just once/year?

Others' thoughts on this?
    simple. if motor internally is stock why do maintenance if you don't need to?

things like motards are a different story, but a sv with an internally stock motor being run by a novice or amateur? it only needs more if you're throwing it into the dirt/rocks and getting gunk in your intake a lot.

heck with a superbike build 700 hawk motor i was doing oil changes once or twice a year - to be completely up-front my transmission took a shit mid-last-season, but wasn't due to oil it was due to 2 seasons + a daytona RoC between rebuilds and what looks a lot like a bad trans

and, of course, this is what I do. you should do whatever you're comfortable with. just sayin unless you're last name is mullin, doucette, gaboreo, greenwood... you're likely wasting time/money.

edit: I should also note that I was only doing about 8 races a year (plus saturday practices and sometimes penguin practice) and that I use fully-synth motul, for comparison.

Last edited by smf; 04-29-11 at 07:06 PM.
    Scott

Just an FYI. It may not be a bad idea to rent a suit for your first or second trackday. I know that we (Tonys Track Days) have rental suits provided by Moto Market for around $65 a day. It helps save some money but also lets you try on sizing and see whats comfortable. There are usually a few different options too so you could rent one kind and then rent another manufacturer and see the comparison...just a thought if your on a budget.
    The start up is expensive, but good gear will last you multiple seasons if cared for properly.
    ...I may be mistaken but I think you can rent boots as well.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

Quote Originally Posted by Nazo View Post
    It may not be a bad idea to rent a suit for your first or second trackday
    I think you can rent boots as well.
    Although the leathers are the big-ticket item, I think as long as I show up to the Vanson factory with a chest protector and back protector already fitted up, I should be able to leave with (or order) the Right Suit without too much trouble.

Boots and gloves though...I just have no idea what my hands or feet are supposed to feel like in the prone position with clipons and high rearsets. Will almost certainly rent those for my first school.

Lets see:

- Live in Boston - check.
    - Ride V-Strom - check.
    - Want to do track days at Loudon - check.

Yes you are overthinking. Get some good gear and get your V-Strom up there! I did my first couple of track days on my V-Strom. I upgraded the suspension with Sonic springs and Intiminators up front and a 3-way Elka in back. I'm pretty heavy so while hitting a peg feeler a little is one thing, hitting the side stand gives the spine a tingle.

Unless you are sure you are going to be doing a lot of track riding or just want a dedicated bike, I wouldn't hesitate to bring the V-Strom up. I rode up with my camping gear, camped at the track, took all the gear off, rode, put the bags back on and rode home. There are some advantages to having a track bike and a truck or trailer, but it's not the same as riding the same bike up and back. Lot of fun either way. This was either my first or second day. Just do eet.

YouTube - DL650 V-Strom Track Day NHMS

Although the leathers are the big-ticket item, I think as long as I show up to the Vanson factory with a chest protector and back protector already fitted up, I should be able to leave with (or order) the Right Suit without too much trouble.

Boots and gloves though...I just have no idea what my hands or feet are supposed to feel like in the prone position with clipons and high rearsets. Will almost certainly rent those for my first school.
    The boots and gloves fit the same, it's the helmet that you have to mind. With my Arai Profile, perfect on the V-Strom, I have a hard time seeing up hills and around corners as it's more of an "upright" helmet than a sportbike helmet.

I wear Held Steve gloves and Daytona RoadStar boots and while not as protective as racing gloves and boots they proved sufficient. I'd buy good boots and gloves before I bought another bike. Ordered some Sidis for this season (higher and stiffer) and plan to get some Held Phantom gloves ($$$) as well. Bought a used Vanson suit (Mr StayPuff) and it will have paid for itself compared to renting after one more track day.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-30-11 at 04:37 AM.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Re: arai profile.turn your head a lot more I race with one with no issues

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by smf View Post
    Re: arai profile.turn your head a lot more I race with one with no issues
    Not the issue. If in riding position I try to look uphill, the back of the helmet pushes the front down so it cuts off the top of the view unless I sit up. Annoying. Side view is no problem, nor is riding the V-Strom or riding on the level or downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Not the issue. If in riding position I try to look uphill, the back of the helmet pushes the front down so it cuts off the top of the view unless I sit up. Annoying. Side view is no problem, nor is riding the V-Strom or riding on the level or downhill.
    that makes me think the helmet is too loose/wrong internal shape (or you're pushing your head up really hard). either way it does sound like that's not the right lid for you.

Scott

I don't have that helmet but have that issue also. but just in T6. not really a problem though.

ya I'm also gonna call BS on the Arai profile comment. Get whatever helmet fits right. I wear a size large profile it fits awesome and i've never had any issues. its as much of a sportbike helmet as any other.

betting it either doesn't fit right or your head isn't turned as much as its supposed to be.

Last edited by Danz19899; 04-30-11 at 11:35 AM.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

If in riding position I try to look uphill, the back of the helmet pushes the front down so it cuts off the top of the view unless I sit up.
    It sounds like you have more shoulder muscle and/or less neck length than me.

Awesome bags on that strom, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    ya I'm also gonna call BS on the Arai profile comment. Get whatever helmet fits right. I wear a size large profile it fits awesome and i've never had any issues. its as much of a sportbike helmet as any other.

betting it either doesn't fit right or your head isn't turned as much as its supposed to be.
    I have a Shoei RF1000 and can see fine. The opening seems to be placed a little higher. It may also be that the Arai is hitting the back protector.

I'm going to a California SuperBike School course May 11-12, so I'll see what they have for current helmets that might be better.

I have a Shoei RF1000 and can see fine. The opening seems to be placed a little higher. It may also be that the Arai is hitting the back protector.

I'm going to a California SuperBike School course May 11-12, so I'll see what they have for current helmets that might be better.
    its up too high then. once you get your leathers on ask someone to push it down for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    its up too high then. once you get your leathers on ask someone to push it down for you.
    That might work, I'll have to give it a try!

I love the Arai otherwise and that model fits my head.

Went to see the RS125 this afternoon. Impressions:
    1. Crazy small, and ever crazier light. Kind of like going to the air and space museum and seeing the lunar lander.
    2. Nothing on the bike, from head to tail, seems to be more than a few bolts deep. Especially the motor...pop off the tank (5 seconds) and the cylinder head is staring you in the face.
    3. Even smaller when you're on it. You're not really even on the bike until you're in the fullest tuck imaginable. Riding it at speed must feel like being squeezed into the front of a torpedo.
    4. Don't just pin it to win it; pin it to get anywhere whatsoever. Owner warned "makes basically no power under 9k".

I definitely want it, but not bad enough to blow my budget by ignoring the upcoming motor rebuild. If my offer survives, it'll be because some crazy stars aligned and he kind of wants me to have it. Awesome way to spend an hour on a Sunday though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12