Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Looking to get started with track days this summer

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Re: Looking to get started with track days this summer

PM Pittenger5 He has one all set up to Go that has won some races. All you have to do is ride it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post

One last question: I've got AlipineStar dirt bike boots. I assume I need a different set designed for street bikes for the track? I've still got pants, a jacket, helmet, etc. from my last street bike. I'll need a pair of all-leather gloves too.

Thanks,

Dan
    ???

I dont like the Leather jacket Pants thing you got goin on here.

How big of a guy are you?. I have an old vanson suit I used my first year racing its old But It works great It will be better then Pants and a jacket.

If it fits you its yours for free But you have to PROMISE you will buy a back protector.

PM ME

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL 441 View Post
    ???

I dont like the Leather jacket Pants thing you got goin on here.

How big of a guy are you?. I have an old vanson suit I used my first year racing its old But It works great It will be better then Pants and a jacket.

If it fits you its yours for free But you have to PROMISE you will buy a back protector.

PM ME
    That's a wicked generous offer, thanks a ton! PM sent.

Just Ragging on you I dont think I can handle a 1000 On the track as well, Open bike refers to Liter bike.

I found EX's Scary Because on the track they feel like they are doing things they are not made to do. Like doing 90 mph on a skate board. However I did race one and did not die.

What ever you get on Just have fun, if you are a beginner you will be fine on anything.

Cool, thanks. Learning all along. Who said learning can't be fun? Fun is the name of the game here, at least for me.

PM Pittenger5 He has one all set up to Go that has won some races. All you have to do is ride it.
    Thanks for the lead, I'll hit him up. Appreciate all your help here!

My bike isnt for sale ... yet. And when it is someones already got first dibs.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

What is the goal with your bike purchase?

Cheap way to get on the track?
    Bike that later can be raced?

Both?

If your goal is a season of track days and maybe racing later than I think your current street ride (if you have one) or a 600 is a better track bike than an ex. If you are looking at getting into a competitive race class for cheap money then an ex makes sense.

Last edited by Manny; 02-14-09 at 10:21 PM.
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    What is the goal with your bike purchase?

Cheap way to get on the track?
    Bike that later can be raced?

Both?

If your goal is a season of track days and maybe racing later than I think your current street ride (if you have one) or a 600 is a better track bike than an ex. If you are looking at getting into a competitive race class for cheap money then an ex makes sense.
    My only current ride is a dirt bike - my street bike is long sold. My goal is some track days, race school and then getting into a good race class for cheap $. From what I hear the EX is a good way to get this done. Whatever I buy, although it'll start off as track days, I'll want to be my first race bike as well. And, finances/enconomy being what it is, I want to do it on a budget. From most counts the EX seems like the way to do that, and your post seems to confirm that. The trackdays will be about learning and getting ready to race, followed shortly after by race school & license. They're the means to an end. The end is inexpensive, fun, not too cutthroat of a class racing. Everything I've heard about the "shitty mcbikefest/EX mafia" group sounds like it fits the bill.

Amazed nobody's mentioned this yet but -- have you considered buying a motard? If you're comfortable on a dirt bike, they're a lot of fun on the track. A little more money than an EX, but you can still find a motard very reasonable.

Can you run track days with them @ Loudon? Is there a class? I'm very comfortable on a dirt bike, but am somewhat comfortable on a street bike as well. The motard thing is worth consideration, I think the #1 question would be where can I ride & race them?

Can you run track days with them @ Loudon? Is there a class? I'm very comfortable on a dirt bike, but am somewhat comfortable on a street bike as well. The motard thing is worth consideration, I think the #1 question would be where can I ride & race them?
    Motards are allowed at trackdays and LRRS weekends. Loudon is the perfect track for a Motard

Yamaha

Who is the sanctioning body? AMA? Some of the stuff I'm finding just looks like street bike riding on a dirt bike, which seems like sort of half assing it. Other stuff has some dirt section, some jumps, etc. That'd be totally up my alley! I wonder if there's a 2 stroke 125 class - I've already got a pretty nice 2002 KX125...

LRRS (aka CCS NorthEast)

www.lrrsracing.com
    www.raceloudon.com

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Sweet. Apparently there is a 125 2 stroke class. I wonder about track days, race licenses, etc. Also wondering about what the courses are like, if there are any with dirt sections, jumps, whatever. I've def. got some research to do. I'm still going to follow up on that EX if it works out, but if not this might not be a bad alternative. Or, probably more likely, I might do both If I buy all the gear to race the EX and I've already got a good dirt bike that'd just need wheels, tires and suspension adjustment I see no reason not to go for both.

Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 02-15-09 at 09:07 PM.

Sweet. Apparently there is a 125 2 stroke class. I wonder about track days, race licenses, etc. Also wondering about what the courses are like, if there are any with dirt sections, jumps, whatever. I've def. got some research to do. I'm still going to follow up on that EX if it works out, but if not this might not be a bad alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    My bike isnt for sale ... yet. And when it is someones already got first dibs.
    Just to let you know..I'll still check in on my buddy's bike tomorrow.

Sweet. Apparently there is a 125 2 stroke class. I wonder about track days, race licenses, etc. Also wondering about what the courses are like, if there are any with dirt sections, jumps, whatever. I've def. got some research to do. I'm still going to follow up on that EX if it works out, but if not this might not be a bad alternative.
    i dont think motards are allowed in 125 gp. you can take your licensing school through any of the approved race schools. penguin is the one to goto at nhms. there is no motard track at loudon, you ride the same as we do unless they do a special event like they did at the classic weekend a few years back.

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

no dirt, no jumps...and that 125 class you speak of has nothing to do with dirt bikes or motards.... more like 125 grand prix bikes.

-------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just to let you know..I'll still check in on my buddy's bike tomorrow.
    Thanks! I'm not ruling that out, I'm leaning toward both. If I can find a place to motard with my KX the cost to get it ready would be minimal, I'd still want an EX. I look forward to hearing what your buddy has to say tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Dan

Thanks! I'm not ruling that out, I'm leaning toward both. If I can find a place to motard with my KX the cost to get it ready would be minimal, I'd still want an EX. I look forward to hearing what your buddy has to say tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Dan
    Would you need different rims as well as sprockets for the kx?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    no dirt, no jumps...and that 125 class you speak of has nothing to do with dirt bikes or motards.... more like 125 grand prix bikes.
    Damn, I guess I should have caught on to the comma between 125 & motard. I was looking @ http://www.lrrsracing.com/2008/2008_RULES_2.pdf and saw, under 2.6, which upon a closer look is practice anyway:
    Group 3A-125’s, Motards, Singles, EX’s, Ultralight Twins (Novice)

The sportsman class that includes motards seems to be any displacement, which would leave me getting lapped on a 125.

I guess I still need to figure out what the deal is for the motards. I'm not doing great finding info online, this may warrant a couple phone calls unless I can get some more info on here. I also imagine a race school isn't going to let me run a motard, and even if track days do I'm not sure how well it would go over.

Also, the no dirt and no jumps thing is a bummer. It'd still be fun to run the KX in motard form, but not if there's no reasonable class to race it or reasonable group/school to do track days and practice.

Man, talk about getting into it fast. I don't even have a normal race bike yet and now I'm trying to find a way to run my KX motard so I have 2 bikes to race. This has the potential to get out of control and put a real hurt on my wallet No complaints though.

Last edited by "Dangerous" Dan K; 02-15-09 at 09:34 PM.

Would you need different rims as well as sprockets for the kx?
    I'm not sure if I'd need them, but I'd probably want them. I can swap sprockets and bring the suspension back to run it in the woods pretty quick, so I could still use the bike for off road and motard. If I had to swap rubber every time it would become an issue. I'm not the best at swapping dirt bike tires - last time I tried it was a huge hassle that ended with bruised and scraped knuckles and a brand new tube pinched and flat in the install.

I'm not sure if I'd need them, but I'd probably want them. I can swap sprockets and bring the suspension back to run it in the woods pretty quick, so I could still use the bike for off road and motard. If I had to swap rubber every time it would become an issue. I'm not the best at swapping dirt bike tires - last time I tried it was a huge hassle that ended with bruised and scraped knuckles and a brand new tube pinched and flat in the install.
    You would have to get different rims to get the best performance. It is much better to have rims that are the same size front and back. 2 different sizes makes it much more difficult to handle from what i understand.

You would have to get different rims to get the best performance. It is much better to have rims that are the same size front and back. 2 different sizes makes it much more difficult to handle from what i understand.
    Makes sense. With the suspension I have adjustment shouldn't be a big deal as long as a I keep track of changes so I can go back and forth easily. So some rims and tires, probably sprockets, coolant to water swap and it might be good to go. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff (safety wiring?) but overall it shouldn't cost a fortune to motard it, if I can find the right places/classes to do it. I also figure between the street racing gear and my dirt bike gear I'd be covered in that aspect (probably all street racing gear for motard?)

Might not even have to change out sprockets if I can get the change I need with only the rear sprocket, just by having a dedicated sprocket on the motard wheel.

Motard at Loudon is a 450. I think your gonna spend alot more money racing/ trackdaying that than you would an EX...

I am gonna go out on a limb here... Have you ever thought about a Honda Hawk GT?

T1a Racing might be looking for a rider next year (I supply the bike)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X