Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loudon Hospitality

Loudon Hospitality

I did Penguin last month and I'm addicted. I'm calling it "track crack" I can't get enough.

So, I'm entering the rookie race, nv thunderbike and nv supertwins on 8/22.

I'll be in the registration line early Saturday morning, but where do I go after that? Does the infield have any order to it? Where does a newbie set up? Are there any novice friendly areas. I ride a Buell, so I'm already like that cousin nobody wants around.

Your advice and/or hospitality will go a long way to make my first weekend as fun as it should be.

Thanks,
    Stuart

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Loudon Hospitality

Park where you want in the infield, if someone especially with yellow plates or black numbers asks you to move, move. They probably wont. Set up, make friends with the people around you. Find out where the NESRs all put, say hi to them. Any questions, ask anyone, especially if they have yellow plates or black numbers. They'll help you.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

The only rule to the infield to remember is that some people have their "spots". They have been in the same spot for years... They arrive to see you in said spot. They are not happy but they usually go find another spot as it is first come first serve...

Maybe someone here will offer to let you pit with them. (I would but it is still up in the air as to IF I am going and where I will be, Pits or infield)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

You can arrive the night before and take care of things. But if you arrive saturday morn you enter your races up front. Mount the transponder and get to tech inspection. Your first practice will be at 8:20 in group 3/4 and your second will be around 9:45. You will have a rookies meeting at 11 am then a riders meeting right after then the rookie race.

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I did Penguin last month and I'm addicted. I'm calling it "track crack" I can't get enough.

So, I'm entering the rookie race, nv thunderbike and nv supertwins on 8/22.

I'll be in the registration line early Saturday morning, but where do I go after that? Does the infield have any order to it? Where does a newbie set up? Are there any novice friendly areas. I ride a Buell, so I'm already like that cousin nobody wants around.

Your advice and/or hospitality will go a long way to make my first weekend as fun as it should be.

Thanks,
    Stuart
    I started this season as well. I think you'll be surprised how friendly and helpful most people are. If you happen to find someone that isn't, just ask someone else. 90% of the people I encounter at the track are awesome.

Yellow plates = AM. Black #'s = EX. Red #'s = NV. As DB said, advice from people with yellow plates or black #'s is key. (I have red #'s, so by my own advice you should not take my advice ) Also, if you do happen to set up in someone's "spot" and they ask you to move, I'd do so politely and try to make friends in the process. As said, people are cool.

Sounds like you'll have to do licensing too. I don't remember for sure, but think you do that the AM of your rookie race? If so, arrive @ registration early or be prepared to miss first practice. Licensing + registration + tech eats up time. Is your bike 100% ready to pass tech? Having all your gear set up and ready to jump into when you get back from tech helps. Don't wear all your gear to tech, you'll be sweating nuts for no reason. Whatever you're wearing + bike + helmet. Have your # on your helmet, just written on sharpie on duct tape is fine. If you're showing up Sat AM, maybe show up early enough to set up, lay out your gear, get your bike ready and then head to registration?

I'll be racked up with all the other EX's if you want to say hi. I think the primary garage is 12 South, and if there are enough of us I'll just be on the other side, could still walk right through 12 to get there. It's the set of garages closest to the tunnell, on the end closest to the access road. Orange EX500 #319. Easy enough to find, but I'm a novice, so really, what's the point?

You could always show up on Friday. This would help minimize your newbie rushing around kinda thing. Setting up, signing in and getting race entries all squared away by Friday night will go a long way to making your first race weekend less stressful. Get your arm band and make your way to the north garages. Just say hello and introduce yourself. Ask some questions and feel free to ask for help and advise. Someone will help you and take you under their wing and get you squared away. If your early enough, you can also do Penguin Open Practice from 2pm - 6pm.

Just off the top of my head, Mike Martire, Doug Sheer, Micky Curry and B.J. Worsham are some Rider Reps. that can be found on Fridays either teaching with Penguin or just setting up. Scotty James ( Sportsman of the Year ) is also a great guy and can get you pointed in the right direction.

" In the name of the Spedo, the Tach and the Holy Throttle, Amen. "

This is a tough place...the key is to find the first guy to look you in the eyes and PUNCH HIS NECK, from there your rep should be safe for a bit.

O wait, we are talking about the race track? ya everyone is nice for the most part and say hi if you see any of us (I'm #399)

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Best to arrive the night before and take care of stuff. The windows at the gate open friday night at 6 pm along with tech inspection. If unable to do that Arrive very early Saturday morning to unpack, setup, then return to the windows at 6:45 to be first in line and it can be done (not missing your first practice) but you will be rushed.

Oh I cant suggest strongly enough to get there friday night and take care of all the paperwork stuff you need to do. Its so much easier than rushing around saturday morning. You got enough to worry about then.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Rambunctious & DB have good points. Last race weekend I rode up w/ Pete and for the first time ever was there early enough to deal with registration Friday. Not needing to go up there Sat AM took a whole lot of stress out of the morning.

Be warned you can show up @ 9PM (or later) Friday, but don't expect to be able to do your registration. I forget what time reg closes Friday, but it's def. earlier than I'm usually there.

I think reg. closes at 7-7:30 on friday night, correct me if I'm wrong

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Rambunctious & DB have good points. Last race weekend I rode up w/ Pete and for the first time ever was there early enough to deal with registration Friday. Not needing to go up there Sat AM took a whole lot of stress out of the morning.

Be warned you can show up @ 9PM (or later) Friday, but don't expect to be able to do your registration. I forget what time reg closes Friday, but it's def. earlier than I'm usually there.
    Hey, I don't call you "Dangerious" Dan K

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Hey, I don't call you "Dangerious" Dan K
    Good point, Rambunctous. Sorry bout that. Seeing as to how I appear to be inept with spelling this AM, I'll understand if you feel the urge to start though

Guys, Thanks for all the help, and keep it coming.

Dan, I will hold your "advise" closest, if only to measure it against better advise.

Seth, that is so much better than my plan to find the toughest guy in the pits and offer to be his bitch.

Mike, PM sent, thanks

Everyone, obviously I need to try to get there Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Good point, Rambunctous. Sorry bout that. Seeing as to how I appear to be inept with spelling this AM, I'll understand if you feel the urge to start though
    I put the correct spelling in the urban dictionary. It would not be rambunctous to be spelling it rambunctious. That would be by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Dan, I will hold your "advise" closest, if only to measure it against better advise.
    Granted I fucked up spelling Rambunctous (at least by his spelling of his name) but I offered advice, and advised you not to take it. I don't see where I gave "advise" Then again, on the amount of sleep I'm working on right now I really have no idea WTF is going on, so I'm probably missing something obvious.

Anyhow, welcome to the addiction. I hope someone told you crack would have been less expensive, and probably consumed less of your thought and extra cash. Aside from that, it's awesome. Swing by my garage & say hi. Even if I'm useless, I garage w/ a riders rep (BJ Worsham) who may be able to answer questions for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    I put the correct spelling in the urban dictionary. It would not be rambunctous to be spelling it rambunctious. That would be by the rules.
    Good call. I'm with it.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Just dont park in front of the Garages those spots are for the Guys who rent the garages.

And have fun If you have any question dont be afraid to ask people We are always willing to help

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    Just dont park in front of the Garages those spots are for the Guys who rent the garages.

x3

set up near a power source which also means stay away from T2

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post

and the back straight near the bathroom...owned...

you may even wanna bring a generator if you have one, just in case

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Good Luck Stuart!

Put A jet on the bike and kick some ass!!!!

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

Keep an eye out for #828, Rob Ruggiero. He also races a Buell.
    Bring a gnome offering to Nick Kornfeld's shrine.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Park where you want in the infield, if someone especially with yellow plates or black numbers asks you to move, move. They probably wont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The only rule to the infield to remember is that some people have their "spots". They have been in the same spot for years... They arrive to see you in said spot. They are not happy but they usually go find another spot as it is first come first serve...

Maybe someone here will offer to let you pit with them. (I would but it is still up in the air as to IF I am going and where I will be, Pits or infield)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    Hey, I'm also planning on racing for the first time this weekend. Since I'll do Penguin on Friday, I plan on arriving Thursday evening. How do I avoid setting up in someone's "regular" spot? I suspect many of these are next to the power sources?

Should I look to pit close to the Media Center, where I assume the Penguin classroom stuff will take place? Or, should I find where the other GP bikes pit and setup close to them so I can be surrounded by people that rebuild their engine on a daily basis?

I'll appreciate any advice and guidance from those wishing to help a new racer navigate his first race weekend!

If youre camping, you have to camp out in the grass, not like a track day. All the parking outside the garages is reserved by the people who rent garages. If you park closer to the fence over by 11 youre all set.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Grass? We have grass again?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast