Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LRRS Class Structure/bike set-up

Re: LRRS Class Structure/bike set-up

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    With the motor... Get it right and it will last several seasons and perform well.
    Get it wrong and it might not make the first weekend...

Unless you have a bunch of experience building engines I suggest you get together with one of the local engine builders and work with them...
    Souhegan Valley Motorsports has a good reputation. There are others..

If you have the time and Money there is always the Spears option.
    So would my "blueprint" work for competing in LWSB or would I now be in GTL territory?

I'm actually still waiting to hear back from Gregg Spears...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

GTL is just a 25 minute timed race with more laps than a normal 8 lap sprint race. You can run SB or SS in that race.. Mostly need to eat your Wheaties to last for 25 minutes..

You are more than welcome to build your motor all you want for SB but a stock or stockish motor will work just fine... I run about as stock a motor as you will find and I weigh about a thousand pounds and still do pretty decent....

My best advice for someone starting out would be to show up with a super reliable package that has good suspension get your feet wet. Have fun and see where it goes.. I was in the same boat to an extent when i started and tended to over think things a little over the Long long long winter leading up to my start in racing...

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

In SB, there really aren't much for restrictions on the build. About the only thing that'll bump you out of LWSB is going too far with a bore/stroke job.

I'm with Rada on this. You're just unnecessarily complicating your life. You'll have enough to deal with the first few weekends without having a potentially finicky super built motor to contend with. First learn to go fast. When the motor is genuinely holding you up then build it. If there are still people with stock motors going faster than you than you don't need a built motor.

My 2 cents

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If there are still people with stock motors going faster than you than you don't need a built motor.
    Thats deep!

I definitely agree with everyone, I by no means am rushing to put a built motor in my SV and certainly not for my first race. Just trying to get the creative juices flowing asking around and talking to some builders to get ideas. It will most likely be a progression of acquiring parts and then maybe later this summer or next winter actually put it together. Mostly the reason I ask these questions again is I'm starting to see motor parts pop up for sale here and elsewhere and when I see a good deal I want to grab them!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm slow, my SV as a SS is faster then I may ever be. That being said I'm in the middle of a mild SB build. I enjoy building and tinkering with bikes as much as I like racing. If building a bike is fun then go for it, if the idea is that building a SB will make you faster then as others have said there are probably better places to spend money that will cost less and lower your times more then a built engine. FWIW my build involves a gsxr front end swap, 2mm over pistons, cam swap, lightened flywheel, some clean up of the heads and pod filters/jetting plus some general weight shaving. I don't really expect to be any faster because of the bike but the build has kept me entertained during the off season.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by freezinvt View Post
    I'm slow, my SV as a SS is faster then I may ever be. That being said I'm in the middle of a mild SB build. I enjoy building and tinkering with bikes as much as I like racing. If building a bike is fun then go for it, if the idea is that building a SB will make you faster then as others have said there are probably better places to spend money that will cost less and lower your times more then a built engine. FWIW my build involves a gsxr front end swap, 2mm over pistons, cam swap, lightened flywheel, some clean up of the heads and pod filters/jetting plus some general weight shaving. I don't really expect to be any faster because of the bike but the build has kept me entertained during the off season.
    don't worry. you'll still get shit for it. last winter I spent more money on my bike than I did for the bike originally. and I went slower than 2012. but it was all fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    don't worry. you'll still get shit for it. last winter I spent more money on my bike than I did for the bike originally. and I went slower than 2012. but it was all fun.
    THIS!!

Isn't that we are all here for? No one is forcing us to be here and I don't think at this competitive level anyone is getting wealthy enough to the point where their racing program is self sustainable... If I am wrong someone please show me what I am doing wrong!!

For me just being at the track and surrounded by such a great group of people that are passionate about the sport is enough for me. I grew up my entire life living not more than 15 mins from the track and every time there was a race or event at Loudon I could hear the roaring thunder of engines from my bedroom window. I've always dreamed of the day I could one day participate in ANYTHING at the track and now that I am I wouldn't trade anything else for it in the entire world. On a bike at the track is where I want to be. I'm an Engineer so naturally I want to put a wrench on everything and figure out exactly what makes it work, and then make it Better. My motivation for building my bike isn't to be the next Rossi, it's to understand every component I stick on the thing I'm trusting myself with every time I turn the key. And to have fun!

I'm with you... to a point. I've built a bike far past where I should have... sucks the fun right out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    THIS!!

Isn't that we are all here for? No one is forcing us to be here and I don't think at this competitive level anyone is getting wealthy enough to the point where their racing program is self sustainable... If I am wrong someone please show me what I am doing wrong!!

For me just being at the track and surrounded by such a great group of people that are passionate about the sport is enough for me. I grew up my entire life living not more than 15 mins from the track and every time there was a race or event at Loudon I could hear the roaring thunder of engines from my bedroom window. I've always dreamed of the day I could one day participate in ANYTHING at the track and now that I am I wouldn't trade anything else for it in the entire world. On a bike at the track is where I want to be. I'm an Engineer so naturally I want to put a wrench on everything and figure out exactly what makes it work, and then make it Better. My motivation for building my bike isn't to be the next Rossi, it's to understand every component I stick on the thing I'm trusting myself with every time I turn the key. And to have fun!
    Love this post! Enjoy it all you can man.

You ll have a great time. Stick around the center garages after the racing is over. We are a good time... Just sign the waiver...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    I'm an Engineer so naturally I want to put a wrench on everything and figure out exactly what makes it work, and then make it Better.
    Figure out how to ride. That will make everything work. Figure out how to ride faster. That will make everything work better.

Point is, start with the rider, THEN build from there.

My .02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12