Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mandatory bike swap for MotoGP @ Philip Island

Re: Mandatory bike swap for MotoGP @ Philip Island

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    Pedrosa didnt pit too early.. there is no such thing the rule stated that you just couldnt run more than 10 laps on a set of tires. Pedrosa had to give up a position for speeding in pit lane when he came in and missed the speed limit line.
    He gave it up to Marquez who was black flagged... How convient!

I watched it on MotoGP.com

I enjoyed seeing something different even though all the usual's were on the podium.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    19 lap race, can't do more than 10 laps, that means you're doing one of the following:

10 laps, then 9
    9 laps, then 10

That meant there was a 2 lap pit window for all riders, riders pitted in a 3 lap window, Pedrosa starting, Marquez ending. Honda's argument against the DQ for Marquez is that he ran 10 complete laps on the rear, pitting before the end of lap 11 as per the rules when he pitted in. If that is correct, that means that Pedrosa pitted too soon, running too many laps on the second leg. Had Dorna come out and said you must pit on lap 9 or 10, no ambiguity, no issue, they just said 10 complete laps max which is how Marquez's team decided to pit when they did. At least one other team got bit by reading the rules the same way.
    Did you watch the race? It seems pretty clear just by listening to commentators as to what was supposed to be done.

The pit window was the end of laps 9 and 10..Pedrosa pitted on end of lap 9, Lorenzo on end of 10 and Marquez on end of 11. Pitting before the end of lap 11..puts him at more than 10 laps.
    Also, shortly after he rejoined the race after his pitstop...and just about took Lorenzo out on re-entry...his team pit board said "go for it" I can't be the only one thinking it was a planned moved and the team was going to try and use a technicality of some sort to dispute it

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

I did watch the race, and the commentators had a theory, including assuming that Pedrosa pitted one lap early when he went in (BBC commentators). When Marquez pitted in, he hadn't crossed the line on lap 11, which is why Honda thought they were legal still, again it's all how you interpret the hastily shoved out there and then altered at the last minute with no meeting rules.

The decision to black flag Marquez, rather than wait until the race was over and decide what to do, stinks.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the outcome of the championship when all is said and done, but it seems extreme to basically create a DNF for the fastest guy out there, when the whole necessity for this bike switch deal was created by others...

Maybe I'm just too fresh from watching the story of BS manipulation in formula one racing in the movie Senna

I still loved it. Monday morning rules analysis be damned. I love the fact that no one quite knew exactly what was going on. It was clear to me watching it online what was supposed to happen, so I'm sure the Honda guys understood as well and had a strategy concerning the pitstop and it backfired. Reminds me of Mladin in the 200 a few yrs ago when Suzuki actually changed the amount of pitstops and it worked out in their favor. In this case they were def trying to be slick and it didnt work out. I love the fact that human error played a part and to be honest MotoGP needs a little spice. A rider giving himself a ride through penalty? Guys banging bars? Riders pitting and jumping onto waiting bikes? Teams trying pitstop strategies? - all awesome stuff. Why am I the only one who loved it? LOL

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #387

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Ur not the only one guy I loved it too and would love to see more of it also

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

It was definitely interesting to watch, I just hope it doesn't cost Marquez the championship

I'm curious why they decided the pit stop would consist of a swap onto another bike, when TT racers literally get fuel and tires/wheels and continue on the same machine.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    I'm curious why they decided the pit stop would consist of a swap onto another bike, when TT racers literally get fuel and tires/wheels and continue on the same machine.
    Because a GP bike and a TT bike are different animal. A TT bike has a quick change wheels where everything comes off as a unit to allow the speedy changes. Not the case with a GP bike. Also, (although not needed for this race) a TT bike has a quick fill tank. Allowing them to fill the tank faster and much safer while in the pits.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

if marquez doesnt win the chamionship it will be Haga in WSBK all over again

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Colin Edwards tweet:
    Colin Edwards ‏@texastornado5 20 Oct
    Not happy with the @marcmarquez93 decision �� First time running this scenario & disqualified �� We r not mathematicians...let us race & F off

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Colin Edwards tweet:
    Not happy with the @marcmarquez93 decision �� First time running this scenario & disqualified �� We r not mathematicians...let us race & F off

LOL exactly!!!

(Nice to see someone at the point in his career where he can afford to speak freely, and has the balls to do so)

Yeah - a lot more colorful than a Bill Bellichick type

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    LOL exactly!!!

(Nice to see someone at the point in his career where he can afford to speak freely, and has the balls to do so)
    Colin has always spoken freely, got to love him

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

I can't stand him. Everyone loves the guy, not sure why. Always has some d/bag comment. Didnt know it took a mathematician to count 10 laps. Seemed easy enough for eveyone else in the race. I will say the penalty didn't seem to fit the crime though.

Last edited by Slowpoke387; 10-22-13 at 06:22 PM.
    LRRS #387

You don't even need to count. Just read the pit board.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    You don't even need to count. Just read the pit board.
    @Synnae_BoS Come over turn 12, rear wheel spinning 4th gear, bike wanting u off of it, and tell me what ur pitboard says....I'll give ya $20

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Colin Edwards tweet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    I can't stand him. Everyone loves the guy, not sure why. Always has some d/bag comment. Didnt know it took a mathematician to count 10 laps. Seemed easy enough for eveyone else in the race. I will say the penalty didn't seem to fit the crime though.
    I believe that Colin was only trying to say that the black flag was too harsh of a penalty in light of the confusing events that unfolded that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    @Synnae_BoS Come over turn 12, rear wheel spinning 4th gear, bike wanting u off of it, and tell me what ur pitboard says....I'll give ya $20
    And here it is yet again, lol. I am def getting his point, but damn pitboards are part of the job. Gimme a break, everyone else is reading their boards. Marquez said himself that the board wasn't the issue anyway. Edwards is just being his usual self and supporting my opinion. I do agree the penalty was too stiff though.

LRRS #387

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    Definitely sounded like there was confusion all around. I heard them say during the race that one rider gave himself a ride through penalty when all he needed to do was give up a place. And then Pedrosa had to give up a place for pit lane speeding, which was given before Marquez came out which would have put him behind Rossi, but then Marquez rejoined so that was ok to let him go around?

the announcers said they got the penalty for Pedrosa on the system but it wasn't given to him till a couple laps later. So Marquez was already back out when Pedrosa was told to give up the spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    Because a GP bike and a TT bike are different animal. A TT bike has a quick change wheels where everything comes off as a unit to allow the speedy changes. Not the case with a GP bike. Also, (although not needed for this race) a TT bike has a quick fill tank. Allowing them to fill the tank faster and much safer while in the pits.
    TT bikes don't have quick fill fuel tanks. they use gravity fill systems they aren't the same as in endurance racing where its about 3 seconds to fill the tank

Last edited by CBR929RE; 10-24-13 at 10:28 AM.

Mandatory bike swap for MotoGP @ Philip Island-broc-jpgAn infamous pit board of 70's MX. Keith McCarty I guess didn't know how to spell Broc Glover way back when. Hannah read the board, waited til no one could see the pass, let Broc bye (sp?), stormed off after the checkered, and later demanded Yamaha pay him for the win.

Last edited by backinthesaddle; 10-23-13 at 02:50 PM.
    2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    I still loved it. Monday morning rules analysis be damned. I love the fact that no one quite knew exactly what was going on. It was clear to me watching it online what was supposed to happen, so I'm sure the Honda guys understood as well and had a strategy concerning the pitstop and it backfired. Reminds me of Mladin in the 200 a few yrs ago when Suzuki actually changed the amount of pitstops and it worked out in their favor. In this case they were def trying to be slick and it didnt work out. I love the fact that human error played a part and to be honest MotoGP needs a little spice. A rider giving himself a ride through penalty? Guys banging bars? Riders pitting and jumping onto waiting bikes? Teams trying pitstop strategies? - all awesome stuff. Why am I the only one who loved it? LOL
    Glad you liked it man. I too enjoyed. I am hoping that the Honda crew learned a thing or two in Philip Island.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

I think we should have mandatory bike swaps in every race, but add in judging of the best parcour moves in the pits. Rider OR crew members eligible for judging.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    wow, marquez's rear tire was destroyed (skip to :53 if you don't want to watch the whole clip)

Last edited by pontifex; 10-24-13 at 12:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123