Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help me find a track bike

Help me find a track bike

I'm looking for a dedicated track bike for track days with long term goal of getting my LRRS license.

It sounds like a SV 650 is the way to go due to the amount of knowledge so many LRRS racers have with the bike.

Here are 2 that from WERA that look solid:

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/03-sv...tock-for-sale/

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/07-suzuki-sv-650-s/

What do you guys think of these bikes? Pricing? What questions should I be asking the sellers?

Thank you.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Help me find a track bike

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Both look great! Problem is that they're far away and you can't see it in person and decide. You also have to pay for shipping. I'm willing to bet there are enough SVs out there locally that you can find one. In my personal experience with used track bikes, some of the things you want to be asking is the source you got it from. Figure out if that person is a casual track person or serious racer. The more serious, the better! This means that the person has kept up with the bike and is more knowledgeable about maintaining it and caring for it. Track riders or casual racers tend to beat on the bike and abuse it while lacking on maintenance. Find out if you can if the bike has every crashed because frame alignment should be the first the you check. Steering head bearings go at around 10K. Clutch condition is hard to tell but important. Also, when were the front fork or rear shock rebuilt. The should be rebuilt every other season. Also check the drive train bearing which can take some serious loads. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but these things will add up and change a good deal into a serious lemon.

If you're gonna go to the track, ya might as well go big. I'm selling my GSXR 1000!!!! I say this partially in jest, as an SV is definitely the way to get when starting. but still, if you want my G1K, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by davidkump View Post
    Find out if you can if the bike has every crashed because frame alignment should be the first the you check.
    This is my big concern. Besides bringing it to Peter Kates how can the untrained eye (mine) tell if the frame is aligned?

Yes, I would prefer to by locally but I haven't seen any track-ready SV 650s for sale.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    600s are definitely easier to come by but I don't think that is the class for me (a beginner).

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    If you're gonna go to the track, ya might as well go big. I'm selling my GSXR 1000!!!! I say this partially in jest, as an SV is definitely the way to get when starting. but still, if you want my G1K, let me know.
    haha, yeah I don't think a beginner on a litre bike at Loudon would end well.

professional lurker burtonboarder23's Avatar
    01 gsxr 600 with all the good stuff 2500$

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If you're just looking for a track bike and don't plan on it being a race bike for a few years:

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...boston-ma.html

Yeah, the overall cost may be more in the long run, but with the suspension set up already, you can chip away at the rest of the race prep while you're having a blast with it at the trackdays.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

i just put my 99 R6 for sale with trailer in the for sale section. would be a great beginner bike, i used to ride my SV650 at track days, loved it but kept getting stuck behind guys on 600's and 1000's because i could keep up with them easily in corners but they'd just crack the throttle hard on the straightaways and i couldn't pass them. $2500 for the trailer and the bike if you're interested, i'm in manchester NH, always welcome to come take a look.