Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Middleweight gearing and shifting...

Question Middleweight gearing and shifting...

I'm looking for some input, and advise, from the folks that are running 1:20-1:22 on 600s at Loudon.

('05 CBR 600)

First off, what are people running for gearing? I need to make a gearing change and I'm not sure what direction to go. I'm lugging it in a couple places where a downshift really wouldn't solve the issue. (namely, out of 2, up the hill, and out of 10). Also, I'm coming out of 12 in 2nd gear and only seeing the very top of 4th before braking for T1. Also, I'm going too fast to come through 1-1a-2 to be in second gear. It's causing two issues... First- slight lug out of T2 (I'm coming out of 2 at about 9500 rpms, so a downshift to 2nd really isn't an option). The second issue is that I'm only winding out 3rd on the back straight and I feel as if I should be more towards the upper end of 4th when its time to hit the binders.

Soooo... make some gearing recomendations. I'm not sure how much change will get me where I want. All i'm sure of is that it's currently too tall... Drop a tooth up front? Add a couple out back? How drastic? I'm trying to avoid buying as many sprockets as Christian is trying to sell.

Second bit of advise I'm looking for is where are you guys shifting. Someone give me a basic run down of where, and what gears you're running through.

Right now it's something like this...

3rd into T1, carry 3rd, while acceling through t1-1a-2
    ring out 3rd on back strait (no room to grab 4th due to lug out of t2)
    3rd up the hill, (I could probably go down to 2nd, but I'm a pussy and don't want to go up 4 in 2nd) shift into 4th 20-25 yards past the t4 cone
    brakes into t6 and back down to 3rd
    carry 3rd all the way through 6,7,8,9,10
    down to 2nd under brakes for tip in to 11
    2nd through 11, 12... wash, rince, repeat.

If you're giving advise on this, please post your average time. It isn't much help if you're going 1:25, and even less help if you're going 1:16!

Thanks folks...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Middleweight gearing and shifting...

Brett prob will know best but I know Chris is running on his 07RR 15-46 and most are around 46-48 in the rear mine is 47...... and laps times are not a factor in this equation...even if your slow, gearing is a result of the track size and layout...a bike is not geared to some ones rider level or times.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Gearing should be pretty close to the same for everyone on the same bike regardless of lap times. I've given people my gearing who are 10 seconds different and had feedback that it worked very well. At most, a slower rider will add 1 tooth in the back - but rarely ever more than that. There is a really good starting point for a lot of bikes at NHMS - gear the bike so that you are close to the top of 5th gear at the end of the straight....that allows the bike to work most everywhere pretty well.

Agreed... Gearing wasn't so much a question of times. But shift points around the track was. Someone going 1:25 isn't seeing nearly as many shifts as someone going sub 1:18.

And before someone asks... I probably should have looked to see what's currently on the bike before posting. I didn't. I'm lazy, and the bike is still sitting in the van from last Monday. I'll get it out tonight after work and see what's on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    Gearing should be pretty close to the same for everyone on the same bike regardless of lap times. I've given people my gearing who are 10 seconds different and had feedback that it worked very well. At most, a slower rider will add 1 tooth in the back - but rarely ever more than that. There is a really good starting point for a lot of bikes at NHMS - gear the bike so that you are close to the top of 5th gear at the end of the straight....that allows the bike to work most everywhere pretty well.
    And... there in lies part of the problem... I'm only seeing the top of 4th, on the main strait, by the time I need to get on the brakes. That's a great piece of advise.

Last edited by GixerJockey; 08-19-13 at 08:27 AM.

Bueller...

Fry...

mine is an 07 but the primary ratio is the same as your 05 so it should be close enough. I run 15/45. works great.

3rd in 1-2 and if I don't go to slow through there I can grab 4th before t3.
    then back down to second for t3.
    3rd a little before the top of the hill all the way to t11.
    2nd from t11 onto the straight
    grab 5th at start/finish

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    mine is an 07 but the primary ratio is the same as your 05 so it should be close enough. I run 15/45. works great.

3rd in 1-2 and if I don't go to slow through there I can grab 4th before t3.
    then back down to second for t3.
    3rd a little before the top of the hill all the way to t11.
    2nd from t11 onto the straight
    grab 5th at start/finish
    I'd go 2ish teeth higher on the rear if I were you to get more out of your drives.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Brett is under gearded LOLOLOLOL(as we talked about this before ) Like I said 46-48, I would do 47 but you really can't over gear a bike at NH

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

so, you are going through t3 and up the hill in 2nd? Hmmm... Might need to put the big boy pants on and let that fly.

checked last night... 15/44 on there now. I can't imagine that 1 tooth out back is going to make all the difference in the world. Plus, I don't have room in the chain for three more teeth out back. And I'm not buying a chain. So I may just end up at 46 in the rear by default.

I have a big, magic, box of parts that came with the bike. I should probably check to see if there's a bunch of sprockets in there before I go buy anything.

Last edited by GixerJockey; 08-20-13 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Brett is under gearded LOLOLOLOL(as we talked about this before ) Like I said 46-48, I would do 47 but you really can't over gear a bike at NH
    He puts all that money into getting more power and he's running the wrong gearing

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    He puts all that money into getting more power and he's running the wrong gearing
    Hey, I tried to tell the Kid!!!!!!!!!

I'd go 2ish teeth higher on the rear if I were you to get more out of your drives.
    I can already spin the rear with ease. no need to get it spinning easier. I'm still the problem with my drives not the gearing.

you mean the right gearing

Hey, I tried to tell the Kid!!!!!!!!!
    and like I told you its equivalent to the 47 you run on your gsxr because the primary drive is much higher on my bike than yours. (and slightly higher than an R6).

Greenwood told me I should be shifting into 5th at start/finish which is what I do. so I'll listen to him and not you 2 clowns

15/45-46 is right where you want it. 46 might be better on the 05 cause its heavier than the 07+ and has a touch less power.

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

Sounds to me more like changing the front sprocket 1 tooth is what you need.....

BAM that just happend.......ogh wait he said front

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    Sounds to me more like changing the front sprocket 1 tooth is what you need.....
    I completely understood this...

Untill you almost confused me with this!

so you do understand that it applies to you also since we run equivalent gearing?

unless he's talking to Noel cause he said he doesn't think he has enough chain length to go much bigger on the rear. I think going to a 46 would be good but if he doesn't want to buy a chain then going to a 14 in front would be just a touch higher than a 46 rear.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 08-20-13 at 12:35 PM.

Noel and Brett... Your bikes are geared wrong... LOL.

Most bikes are -1/+2 or -1/+3 from stock for Loudon.

Like Eric said you gear for the straight and also, to an extent, for T8 under the treehouse... (listen to greenwoods r6 every lap right before he rolls off under the treehouse he hits redline).

Noel its usually two down into 1, two down into 3, 1 down into 6, 1 down into 11 for me. So I am in 3rd for 1-1a-2, 3rd for 3-4, 4th for 6-7-8-9-10, 3rd for 11-12.

My bike is 15/48 I think.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    so you do understand that it applies to you also since we run equivalent gearing?
    Sorry Sir, my bike is properly gear allready . This fool did his home work long before this post. Maybee I could go to 48 but.....

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Noel and Brett... Your bikes are geared wrong... LOL.

Most bikes are -1/+2 or -1/+3 from stock for Loudon.

Like Eric said you gear for the straight and also, to an extent, for T8 under the treehouse... (listen to greenwoods r6 every lap right before he rolls off under the treehouse he hits redline).

Noel its usually two down into 1, two down into 3, 1 down into 6, 1 down into 11 for me. So I am in 3rd for 1-1a-2, 3rd for 3-4, 4th for 6-7-8-9-10, 3rd for 11-12.

My bike is 15/48 I think.
    Sorry Sir, my bike is properly gear allready . This fool did his home work long before this post. Maybee I could go to 48 but.....
    wow you guys didn't listen back when I asked for advice and you don't listen now. my bike is currently geared -1/+3 from stock. and I did that based on YOUR gearing Shawn. my bike is actually geared slightly Shorter than yours Shawn. your bike theoretically tops out at at 133.2mph with 15/47 (that's what you run correct?) and mine with current gearing is 130.1mph. if you want me to be geared exactly like you I would need to go DOWN to a 44 rear that would get me 133.1mph. and yes I know those mph numbers aren't actual real world numbers because I've hit 131 in 5th and 144 very near the top of 6th.
    your primary drive is 1.974 while mine is 2.111. I based my gearing off what YOU people suggested a year or two ago when I asked. I don't get why you people can't understand that.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 08-20-13 at 01:26 PM.

well my post at least the opening line was just a joke... lol

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

We DO!!!!!!! I just like debating the same topic that gets your blood moving SUKKA>>>>>>> LOLOLOLOL

Luv you BabyJesus...............try and not be hurt over this, we really do care

We DO!!!!!!! I just like debating the same topic that gets your blood moving SUKKA>>>>>>> LOLOLOLOL

Luv you BabyJesus...............try and not be hurt over this, we really do care
    I just find it annoying that you tell me to change my gearing because its wrong when I listened to you the first time. you just make yourself look dumb by contradicting yourself.

I wub you too now stop telling me the bike is wrong and get back to making fun of me for sucking

Brett, you suck

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Ambition Outweighs Talent strgt's Avatar

I think I run 15-44 or 43. Its too tall but works ok at Jersey. I don't think I even hit 5th on the straight TBH. I could grab an extra gear but the extra speed doesn't warant the effort to get the bike settled for T1.

I just ran whatever sprockets I had leftover from my 2003 cbr.

www.streetandcomp.com
    LRRS/CCS/WERA Am. #290
    NESBA Adv. #290

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast