Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kurlonizing a classic

Kurlonizing a classic

So, lamenting the fact that buying a house has put just about all of my motorcycle projects on indefinite hold... I stumbled into a new one. A coworker gifted me what he described as a total rat 1980 CB650 so his father would stop pestering him about getting it out of the garage.

I picked up the 'rat' on Saturday, turns out its actually pretty close to streetable as is.

It needs a tank, the gascap is missing and it's rotton/leaky.
    It needs one fork seal replaced.
    Countershaft and or shift shaft seals are shot.
    The horn button is dead.
    The high beam indicator light along with the right turn indicator light in the dash are dead.
    It needed a battery, that has been rectified.
    The carbs need a good cleaning as the pilots are clogged.

My goal is to turn this into a modern'ish cafe racer, with the emphasis on racer. No, I'm not completely cracked, it won't be showing up in ULSB any time soon*. I'm going to build it to the USCRA's Formula 2 ruleset.

In a nutshell, F2 is based on bikes made up to 1985, 650cc or smaller air cooled four stroke, 500cc air cooled two stroke or 350cc liquid cooled ring dinger.. It must use a steel frame if a four cylinder. The only other restriction is forks must be conventional. Beyond that, if I can show the concept/design was in use in that period, I can use it.

Step 1 is going to be making it roll and stop reliably. The stock suspension and brakes are well... pathetic. I'm thinking a set of CBR wheels, F3 or F4 forks and swinger will sort that side of the equation out. At the same time the frame is going to need a lot of the welds redone as Honda wasn't all that consistent with them back then. Extra gusseting is in the playbook as well.

Step 2, making it ridable, new tank, seat and controls. Rearsets of some sort, I'm thinking if I do it right I can find a bike that uses something close to what I need and just weld up brackets to match. I'm also going to redo the wiring harness from scratch, I don't feel like getting stranded/loosing thanks to 1980 electronics giving out on me, nor do I need that complex a wiring harness.

Step 3 is going to be setting it up to be street legal when desired. A taillight / turnsignal / plate bracket that just plugs in and mounts with a couple bolts will be easy enough. I've got an idea for a similar front setup that'll contain the headlight, turn signals and horn that should be quick detach as well. At that point it'll be a matter of popping the mirrors and sidestand off, mounting the front number plate and rolling through tech as I plan leaving it wired at all times as well as sporting a stylish belly pan.

Step 4 will be motor work, although I doubt I'll be doing much beyond basic preventative maint this year. The stock motor should be putting down an asthmatic 40 to 45 hp at the rear wheel. 70+ is more than doable without doing crazy mods and staying under the 650cc cap, but thats for down the road. (I have a writeup on earlier period Honda 750 SOHC racers documenting machines that started coming on the pipe at 12k RPM and held it to 14k RPM, with 16k being safe overrev?! I so want to replicate THAT setup just to see the look on people's faces when this thing screams by. Given my prior experience with similar 2v heads I think it's entirely doable too...) Handling takes priority right now, if I'm loosing due to power down the road, THEN I'll go crazy Kurlon on it.

The big challenge on this bike is I have basically zero budget. Any cash I can scrape together goes towards repairing the KTM so I can play in LRRS again. Hopefully, as the parts I want to use are 'old tech' for current racers they'll be around cheap or free?

*The fact that I'm also 100% within ULSB rules, and if I get the motor where I want it on par powerwise with most Hawks is pure coincidence.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Kurlonizing a classic

As I told you on XBOX. I just might have a Hawk for you to use... Stay on me!!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Heh, I remember. Like I said, I just lucked into this machine this weekend. : ) Zero budget wrenching projects are good right now, otherwise I'd be going pure stir crazy. Otherwise my plans haven't changed, all depends on cash flow.

When are you planning the busa motor?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    When are you planning the busa motor with nitrous?

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I have a set of Hawk forks and a front wheel you can have. Also have a stock caliper and rotor...

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have a set of Hawk forks and a front wheel you can have. Also have a stock caliper and rotor...
    If I can't find my preferred first choice I'll take you up on that offer.

So, further research, looks like my 'ideal' suspension setup would be:
    F3 front end and front wheel
    F2 rear wheel and swingarm

An F3 rear wheel/swingarm will work as well, the F4 went to a 5.5" wide rear wheel which just seems silly on a 40hp bike.

Last edited by Kurlon; 03-31-10 at 10:38 PM.

I've been suggested to look for 95-97 ZX6 front and rear ends as well...

In the mean time, I've worked on the gas tank problem. The bottom has been epoxyed a few times, poorly. They never bothered cleaning the metal first, so the gas just worked under it, and eventually through it, resulting in a new layer of epoxy... The old stuff peeled off like rubber. The leak is a hairline crack around the petcock spigot. I'm going to try and get a wire wheel for my drill and clean around it to see if the metal is rotten or just fatigued at that seam. I'm hoping it can be welded...

Oh, cam chain noise has been eliminated.

STREET IT AND SELL IT AND BUY THE HAWK!!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Tank repaired, turns out the petcock spigot is soldered in place... I happen to know how to do that so I redid the joint with clean silver solder. Holds beautifully now. Just gotta find a gas cap and I can try it on the road.

Rat bike is no longer 'free' seeing as I just ordered $80 worth of o-rings, seals and gaskets.

Oh, and a missing motor mount bolt, but those are optional, right?

So... How much ya want for it?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Didn't you get rid of your 70s/80s era Honda, and now you want another one?!

Where's Admiral Ackbar when I need him?

Well I figure if i get someone to buy this you will buy a HAWK!!

(Like the one I have sitting in my garage!)

Yes it is a trap.

Last edited by Doc; 04-14-10 at 03:06 PM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Hah. As of right this moment I don't have any plans of selling it, goal for now is to get it sorted and on the street. This round of parts should stop all the oil seepage, I'll need to clean the carbs, replace a fork seal, add a horn and replace a couple bulbs and it'll be inspectable and road safe. If someone wants to wave enough of a chunk of cash under my nose now such that I can get a dirty toy or better, make a good dent into the repairs on my Kaboom, cool... otherwise this bike goes under the knife after I test it on the street. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well I figure if i get someone to buy this you will buy a HAWK!!

(Like the one I have sitting in my garage!)

Yes it is a trap.

Okay. Much lulz over here. hahahah

Boston --> San Diego

Solution,

Kurlon likes no budget projects and needs a race bike....
    Doc has a dissembled race bike and no one to ride it.....

Kurlon, put together docs hawk. As your fee for the work ride it for the year and give it back at the end...

All's well that ends well.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

I like Doc's current plan for the Hawk, use it as a way to bootstrap a novice into racing. Given that I'm now cleared to run orange plates I don't qualify. Plus there isn't enough time for me to get that bike to where I'd be comfy racing it amongst AM/EX riders even if the bike appeared in my garage tonight. That's a shit-ton of safety wiring, verifying the suspension, brakes, mechanicals in general... and I'm not familiar enough with those bikes to just 'dive in' blind.

I'll get it to where you can ride it... safety schmafety.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Given that I'm now cleared to run orange plates I don't qualify.
    You bumped? Congrats.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Of all the... cleaned the carbs, remounted, finally got it able to idle, but it's still not 'happy'. Start it, warm it up, get on the road, and it just will not take WOT, dies till you roll off at which point it'll pulling again. I've been trying to brainstorm why it's so far out, figured hey, floats set too low, leans it out all over, makes sense?

Bench tested the floats, they're fine.

Pulled a plug, it's rusty half-way up the threads? Crush washer is still puffed out? You've got to be kidding me, plugs were never put in all the way?! Gah.

And yeah, I got the go ahead from The Don to bump 2 races from the end of the season Brian. That plus finding out my KTM was only putting down 30hp is why I skipped the last two rounds, didn't want to be on track on something that was that far off the pace on my orange plate debut.

Derusted the exterior of the tank, silver soldered the petcock bung, painted it, derusted the interior, got a brandy new gas cap...

Leaking from one seam for nearly the whole length, bah.