Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Motard Belly Pan

Motard Belly Pan

This came up in another thread so I thought I'd ask here.

Since apparently there is a new rule about belly pans for motards... what are folks doing?

1. Smutty says he's modding an ex500 pan but I'm not dropping 200 dollars on a fairing to cut up.
    2. Turkey pan / zip ties... looking like the cheapest and easiest at this point.

What else? The bike isn't meant to have a lower fairing so no matter what you use it's probably going to look like shit and not do a great job.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Re: Motard Belly Pan

I am not actually doing that. I got rid of my motards. Just offering solutions. I personally would make my own or add other sheet metal to the turkey pan to make it work. I'd use something that has lips on it to prevent the oil from falling out or blowing out.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I had to add a pan before running my GS with the USCRA. The initial version was a 9 x 12 baking pan safety wired to the frame. The USCRA required I stick in some absorbant padding as well, and in hind sight it's a good idea in general. The ideal stuff to use is the gray pads the cornerworkers use. It'll suck up oil and keep it in place while ignoring water. I used an expanded steel mesh to hold the pad down and in place. I think you can order actual stick down belly pan pads too but I never researched it after figuring this setup out.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

The material Kurlon is speaking of is called Pig Mat and they make many different flavors. Of particular interest is the one that only absorbs oil and not water like Josh said that way if it rains the pad doesn't get soaked and cause issues later on.

Joel

The Pig Mat is fairly expensive. I was gonna try this stuff.

http://www.vatoraccessories.com/view...d_-_Pack_of_10

Quote Originally Posted by Yknot View Post
    The Pig Mat is fairly expensive. I was gonna try this stuff.

http://www.vatoraccessories.com/view...d_-_Pack_of_10
    That's what I was going to use...my dad has a bunch of it. Plus at a buck a sheet, its probably cheap enough to replace every time it rains.

I'm subscribed to this thread, trying to figure out the best way to go about this as well...I've done some searching on supermoto junkie, and they all say baking pan, tinfoil tray, or a generic carbon fiber one available on ebay.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

zip tied turkey pan will probably fail tech

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

from 2012 rule book
    19.25.5 All fluid catch pans must be mounted in a safe and workman-like manner. (Zip-ties and duct tape do not qualify as safe and workmanlike mounting.)

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    zip tied turkey pan will probably fail tech
    Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    from 2012 rule book
    19.25.5 All fluid catch pans must be mounted in a safe and workman-like manner. (Zip-ties and duct tape do not qualify as safe and workmanlike mounting.)
    Ok, so since they are asking us to add something that is non-standard and not even commercially available, do they have any suggestions as to how they would like this new rule enforced that doesn't require detailed custom fabrication, isn't ridiculously expensive, allows ground clearance, and doesn't look like complete shit?

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Lots of safety wire, or hose clamps would be my gotos. I've gotten both through tech before.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That's the one I mentioned, but in all honesty, the tinfoil pan will probably provide better containment than that, it doesn't look very deep at all.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

I did some poking around and didn't come up with anything, except what Doc posted. However, what I did find over on supermotojunkie.com is an issue regarding making the pan easily removable, or else you won't be able to use a standard dirt bike stand with it.

Seems to me like a big PITA to have to remove your belly pan every time you want to put your bike on your stand.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

$75, carbon fiber, easy mounting......might look nice on a naked SV!

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Ok, so since they are asking us to add something that is non-standard and not even commercially available, do they have any suggestions as to how they would like this new rule enforced that doesn't require detailed custom fabrication, isn't ridiculously expensive, allows ground clearance, and doesn't look like complete shit?
    I hear you, just trying to point out tech will be looking. I checked my Motards and also struggle to find a simple solution. lucky i have under frame rock guards that could be the bolt on basis for a pan. Maybe that is the way to go. Start with an aftermarket bolt on rock guard.
    i did follow up and ask, as Motards were letvslide for catch pans would that be the casein 2012? Answer came back, no!

Graham

Do they state a minimum size or capacity?? Would a litespeed skid plate or another skid plate with no holes be considered adequate??

"When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

I had to make one up for my Hawk too. They were exempt until this year as well. I just used some light gauge aluminum sheet and "welded" it with alumaweld.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

^ that Looks pretty good, I may give that a shot. Looks like rivets primarily holding it together?

The pan is bent up and I welded the ends on. I pop riveted the mounting brackets to the pan because it was easier than trying to weld the two very different thicknesses of aluminum. I'm sure you could create the same thing with just pop rivets and jb weld on the seams to waterproof it.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Jay. If you go that route what stands are you going to use to get the tires off the ground for warmers?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

How difficult would it be to use a couple jackstands at each end and slide a bar thru the axles in order to park the 'tards?

Considering the possibility and challenge of constantly removing and installing belly pans in order to support the machine on a stand, there has to be a simpler alternative.

The issue I'm seeing is when a dry race turns into a wet race and the riders are given time to swap wheels. This happened last year and even with help swapping wheels on my 600, I barely made it out there in time. Not sure I'd wanna introduce removing body parts to the equation.

Just thinking outloud...

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Jay. If you go that route what stands are you going to use to get the tires off the ground for warmers?
    I have a harbor freight rear stand lying around, I think I can adjust it narrow enough to sit on spools. Either way, any belly pan is going to cause this problem. Perfect world, I'll make the belly pan attach with clips, assuming that will pass tech.

How about its not in the rule book so F Off , that works for me, pay attention to it next time. yup if it comes to it

I'm probably going to buy that carbon jobbie I guess. I'll figure out a way to have one side of it be clipped instead of zip tied so I can release one side of when I come in and then use my normal stand. That is of course unless it's strong enough and hugs the contours of the bike enough that I can use the stand with it still installed.

Belly pan plus eject helmet system = two less races I will be able to buy. Thanks LRRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrrs428 View Post
    How about its not in the rule book so F Off , that works for me, pay attention to it next time. yup if it comes to it
    Ummm.... it IS in the rulebook now, that's why we're all trying to figure out what to do, dude.

Last edited by CEO; 03-20-12 at 06:50 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Ugh, I completely forgot about hoisting the thing onto a stand. You could always go back to separate front and rear stands I suppose. The baking pan option could be made sturdy enough but you'd be looking at more than a safety wire mount job. I'm thinking modified skid/rock plate setup sounds better now. Wrap around the frame so the frame still supports the bike on the stand?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast