Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New Motards

Re: New Motards

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post

Re: the TM they look great but I'm a little hesitant to race something that no one else is and that's imported - replacement parts, trouble/issues, getting aftermarket stuff, etc... is that an issue with these? I guess I'd want to know if they will be a better weapon (significantly) than the husky to make any headache worth it. What's the powerplant?
    Thats what I am worried about. It seems that parts are fairly easy to get from TM directly and more and more dealers are getting involved with TM. It is probably not much more of a headache unless you broke something at the track and need parts immediately, it's unlikely someone will have spares. As fas as it being a weapon, the bike is probably as good out of the box as a setup FS/KTM/ whatever. Most people aren't riding the FS stock.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I don’t know how anyone could buy a vehicle from a manufacturer with a website like that. It’s atrocious.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I bought a TM this year. I love it. Haven't had a chance to try it at Loudon yet, though.

Kevin Allen has a dealer connect in Vermont. Also, Jay Klinger from smec is putting in a dedicated trailer at ovrp in NY if that helps.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

The TM has geometry specific to SM that the FS/SMR do not. The FS/SMR are literally KTM 450 SXF bikes with different clamps, tweaked valving fork and shock. The TM is a dedicated frame and swingarm, you're not matching that with an FS/SMR without a cutting torch and welder.

Starting price for one new is about $12.5, but when you look through the price sheet, that price goes up quick.

Get the Ohlins and electric start at a minimum.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Thats what I am worried about. It seems that parts are fairly easy to get from TM directly and more and more dealers are getting involved with TM. It is probably not much more of a headache unless you broke something at the track and need parts immediately, it's unlikely someone will have spares. As fas as it being a weapon, the bike is probably as good out of the box as a setup FS/KTM/ whatever. Most people aren't riding the FS stock.
    Is aftermarket stuff easy to get?

Also what are people doing with the FS - thought it was pretty ready to go. (then again i'm just an amateur)
    Quote Originally Posted by tucktuvak View Post
    The service from TM is awesome actually, I just call or email Ralph at gravity TM racing (the US distributor) and order whatever I need. They have an online shop now too. Usually ships FedEx the next day. There is one guy racing a TM in LRRS. Power plant on the kit 450 smr is a factory race 65hp 450 4t. Check the price list on the TM website, but I do see those fs450s are starting to get cheaper, for some reason I thought they were like $13k.
    http://www.tmracing-usa.com/2021/202...20Customer.pdf
    That looks like the street list. This is the racing model list and starts at 12.5 like folks said and very quickly gets above 16k with suspension electric start 6 speed gearbox etc... http://www.tmracing-usa.com/2021/202...list%20SMX.pdf

Who makes the motor? Or is it an actual motor made by TM. That's what worries me a bit. Vs. the KTM plant that's in the FS/SMR that are a dime a dozen with relatively proven reliability.

Kurlon - i know you say SM specific geomety but i'd be mostly roadracing it (i think) so wondering what's the best for that. If the answer is still the TM then great, but 80mph knee down in turn 9 is pretty different than foot out backing it in at 40mph....

Last edited by CEO; 10-18-20 at 12:28 PM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

If you look at the places TMs normally compete in Europe, they do get thrashed on some pretty big tracks, and their riders do road race some corners vs nearly always trying to back'em in like US sumo riders do. Now, I've only done a couple tame lap's on Sam's machine, pavement only on a tiny track but what I immediately picked up on is it has the corner carving stability of my WR250, which is WAY biased towards road racing with how I built it. (Basically made it a hot mess for short track.) At the same time, it's got damn near telepathic flick-ability like my MX bike on 17s 150 SX that has had nothing changed setup wise other than slapping 17s on it. (It does NOT like to carve corners, full stop.) No chatter when carving BUT you don't loose flick-ability, just monkeying with clamp offset isn't going to get you that combo it requires rake and wheelbase changes which KTM hasn't bothered with since the last 'real' SMRs in 2012.

Clearly the modern FS / SMR can put up a good fight, and people know how to set them up to do well at NHMS. My gut says the TM should be able to out handle them, a bit more flickable with less chatter/drama while doing so, but I can't say for certain from first hand experience on one at NHMS but on paper the numbers seem to be there.

On the motor front, TM makes their own motors, right down to the base castings.

At a minimum, you'll have to do the suspension on the fs. Other things you might want is quick shifter, and an exhaust/tune. Once you go expert, you'll probably need engine work as a 19 is mid pack now.

LRRS/CCS #66

Thanks guys. Definitely have analysis paralysis at this point. Options are basically

'20 FS 10k (but would need a few grand of stuff)
    '21 FS 11k (but would need a few grand of stuff)
    '21 TM 16k fully kitted out with their options

ETA: no, i don't want a front wheel drive car with snow tires

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

The TM is fantastic. Go with a 16.5 unless you only want to run Michelin, they have the only 16” available.

If you don’t mine me asking, Who would you order from?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I'm leaning that way. But tbh am wondering if I should see how much I can actually race the SV next season as a test. Since each year I want to race and then am never able to get up mainly due to work crushing me. Maybe it would be a forcing function but it would be pretty crappy to get a sick new supermoto and not ride it enough.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12