Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Motoamerica to add a super twins class

  1. #1
    Member Mgiossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coventry, RI
    Posts
    286

    Motoamerica to add a super twins class


    MotoAmerica Announces Class Structure, $1 Million Prize Fund For 2018

    Has anyone else seen the new motoamerica class structure? They are adding a super twins class! This could be pretty awesome for alot of guys in the club racing scene. Looking forward to how it turns out.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Just keep moving those markers in until your pants become soiled and you see god.
    LRRS AM #329
    Thank you to my 2020 sponsors: Vortex, Hot Bodies, Zero gravity, Cycle gear, Spectro Oil, DP brakes!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member pasta-rocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vero Beach, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    746

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Sounds really good!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #3

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Wow that's awesome. And rules make it a pretty affordable class.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,953

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Hmmm...

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  5. #5
    Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Butler's Rest Home, Duxbury, Mass., USA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,248

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    It sounds great, but I'm a bit skeptical. Twins racing has always been strong in the northeast, not so strong elsewhere. After the demise of the Battle of the Twins class in AMA racing, it took about ten years for Jerry Wood to get the AMA to start the Pro Thunder class. It was strong in the northeast, weak elsewhere. Hell, even when neither class was being run, we used to have the Jimmy Adamo race as part of the Loudon Classic, with grids of about 40 bikes. The AMA wasn't too keen on it. (Ron Barrick called the Jimmy Adamo race "a nightmare that won't go away".)
    And nowadays, twins racing is weaker up here. The old BCM/Dunbar rivalry, which could get pretty fierce at times, isn't around. Steve Aspland tried to revive the old BOTT formula with P-89. It didn't fly.
    If this new class is to be successful, you're gonna have to really get involved. Buy the bike and race it! And hope the same thing happens around the rest of the country. Until then.....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Johnny B. (the other one)
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

    Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

    "Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

  6. #6
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,940

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Wow that's awesome. And rules make it a pretty affordable class.
    The rules read as very superbikey to me at the moment, $20k on a bike is going to be easy under this structure.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  7. #7
    Is this thing on? Mr. Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hiram, ME
    Posts
    2,683

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    The rules read as very superbikey to me at the moment, $20k on a bike is going to be easy under this structure.
    Agreed. A cool idea, but not one likely to result in club racers suddenly campaigning MotoAmerica.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,451

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Wow that's awesome. And rules make it a pretty affordable class.
    Put down the crack pipe.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  9. #9

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    The rules read as very superbikey to me at the moment, $20k on a bike is going to be easy under this structure
    .
    Crap people spend that to club race theses days ! I am sure your also not going to be able to race your 2003 SV either (Wait for the homologated list), That being said it would be a cool way to go racing on a national level.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Ah I forgot. Yeah throw some Ducati's and Buels with 1000cc monster motors to make it affordable?
    Racing isn't cheap people, especially pro racing. At least they put some decent limits on engine size, what needs to remain as is from the factory. It's not an Production class to run an EX500.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    14,451

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    The amount of mods allowed there mean 5k motor builds would be pretty much required.

    Speaking of spec class racing, the 390 cup was awesome, and it's opening up to other bikes. I'm not sure why they are doing this, but it will never be as good. Did KTM pull back on support? Americans seem to want manufacturer competition more than good racing.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  12. #12
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,940

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Ah I forgot. Yeah throw some Ducati's and Buels with 1000cc monster motors to make it affordable?
    Racing isn't cheap people, especially pro racing. At least they put some decent limits on engine size, what needs to remain as is from the factory. It's not an Production class to run an EX500.
    Racing isn't cheap, but this class is clearly not structured to limit costs. If anything, it's going to be a builder's arms race. Forcing stock bore/stroke but going wide open on nearly everything else doesn't do anything to keep the builds and costs in check. Should be interesting to see if there is any actual participation and what they bring to the table.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  13. #13
    Senior Member Viper897's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seacoast Maine
    Posts
    368

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    The amount of mods allowed there mean 5k motor builds would be pretty much required.

    Speaking of spec class racing, the 390 cup was awesome, and it's opening up to other bikes. I'm not sure why they are doing this, but it will never be as good. Did KTM pull back on support? Americans seem to want manufacturer competition more than good racing.
    I think they are just trying to get inline with WSS300 so there is a path to racing overseas.

    After all they are slowly getting there superbike class to be up to spec with World Superbike, but very slow I might add.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Short bus rider
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North Highside
    Posts
    170

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    It sounds great, but I'm a bit skeptical. Twins racing has always been strong in the northeast, not so strong elsewhere. After the demise of the Battle of the Twins class in AMA racing, it took about ten years for Jerry Wood to get the AMA to start the Pro Thunder class. It was strong in the northeast, weak elsewhere. Hell, even when neither class was being run, we used to have the Jimmy Adamo race as part of the Loudon Classic, with grids of about 40 bikes. The AMA wasn't too keen on it. (Ron Barrick called the Jimmy Adamo race "a nightmare that won't go away".)
    And nowadays, twins racing is weaker up here. The old BCM/Dunbar rivalry, which could get pretty fierce at times, isn't around. Steve Aspland tried to revive the old BOTT formula with P-89. It didn't fly.
    If this new class is to be successful, you're gonna have to really get involved. Buy the bike and race it! And hope the same thing happens around the rest of the country. Until then.....
    Our own Chris Arbor won AMA Pro Thunder at Loudon. He crashed in 3, pulled it out of the tires got back on and still won. I think he won 5K for it too. He was on a 748R duck if my memory is correct.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    I think that this is a great direction: Clarity in the premier classes, a separate Stock 1000 class, an entry level 300 class and a wide open twins class. Sounds like a ton of fun! The only change I might have made would be to do a stock 600 class as opposed to the Stock 1000 - I think that would be a better stepping stone for kids graduating from the 300 class. Overall this is a move in a positive direction!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,940

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    I think that this is a great direction: Clarity in the premier classes, a separate Stock 1000 class, an entry level 300 class and a wide open twins class. Sounds like a ton of fun! The only change I might have made would be to do a stock 600 class as opposed to the Stock 1000 - I think that would be a better stepping stone for kids graduating from the 300 class. Overall this is a move in a positive direction!
    Do you see CCS / LRRS adopting a matching twins class to try and get some club to national level depth?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  17. #17
    Lifer isaac_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: Motoamerica to add a super twins class

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodcraft View Post
    I think that this is a great direction: Clarity in the premier classes, a separate Stock 1000 class, an entry level 300 class and a wide open twins class. Sounds like a ton of fun! The only change I might have made would be to do a stock 600 class as opposed to the Stock 1000 - I think that would be a better stepping stone for kids graduating from the 300 class. Overall this is a move in a positive direction!
    Wouldn't the natural progression be 300s then twins?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Isaac LRRS/CCS #871 ECK Racing | Spears Enterprises | GMD Computrack Boston | Pine Motorparts/PBE Specialists | Woodcraft | Street & Competition | MTag-Pirelli | OnTrack Media
    Bike: SV650, Bride of Frankenstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •