Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MotoAmerica TV Coverage: Tape delayed, over a week late, no online streaming (yet)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

MotoAmerica TV Coverage: Tape delayed, over a week late, no online streaming (yet)

Not quite the TV package one would hope, in this day in age who can wait a week to watch their favorite sporting event? Esp. while trying to avoid spoilers on social media.

I think they made a critical delay focusing on trying to get a TV package, I would never trust ANY US networks to step up and offer a reasonable package... motorcycles are just too niche for them to care. The MotoGP.com model should have been their aim. Full, dynamic, self-owned live and on-demand videos that focus on incredible content and ease of use.

Soup :: MotoA: Not Even Streamed Live :: 04-09-2015

Very sad start for MotoAmerica, they are working on "live streaming" but I am very wary after watching bits of the Daytona 200 (which yes, I get is not affiliated with MotoAmerica, but demonstrates the lack of prowess from whomever was contracted to broadcast that race).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scottieducati; 04-09-15 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Link and such...

CCS/LRRS #83

Re: MotoAmerica TV Coverage: Tape delayed, over a week late, no online streaming (yet

is the % of population that cares about moto racing really that tiny?

I see truck racing on TV (LIVE) all the time lately. How is that more appealing than the biggest motorcycle championship in the US?

take a look at the Speed channel random daily schedule. a bunch of crap like: pinks/drag racing idiots/rednech dragracing/nascar hub/blah blah

Re: MotoAmerica TV Coverage: Tape delayed, over a week late, no online streaming (yet

Sav, the general American TV consuming public really is that uninterested in any form of intelligent sport or TV content... you needn't look further than what History, Discovery, etc. have all become... non-stop "reality" BS garbage TV.

CCS/LRRS #83

Pushing for and securing ANY kind of TV deal was critical for MA if they wanted to have any hope of sponsors stepping up. Streaming is cool, but the eyeball count for broadcast still dwarfs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Pushing for and securing ANY kind of TV deal was critical for MA if they wanted to have any hope of sponsors stepping up. Streaming is cool, but the eyeball count for broadcast still dwarfs it.
    Welp, I can't speak for everyone, but I for one have zero interest watching races a week past when they happened so I'm not sure how many eyeballs they'll have to count...

CCS/LRRS #83

In a way, we're not eyeballs they care about. We already know the products, the people, etc. What they want access to are the less informed and easier to sell to masses which they get with broadcast, even if it's a delayed broadcast. It's not ideal, but it's at least an improvement over nothing.

The disappointment begins...

You are one negative Nancy! The ball is rolling, let it gain momentum.

Are your race bikes perfect at rd. 1? No, they evolve and hopefully in the right direction. Same is true for a NEW racing series. At least give them a chance before crucification begins.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

+1. We live in the Northeast where it is known to be a negative culture for the most part. Let's bring some good Karma to the scene.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

At least MA is on TV. I can live with waiting a wk. Just don't look at the posts with the results. Would be great to have a race that is not rained out. I was surprise how fast the gsxr's are. I thought the new R1 would pull away on the straights.

MA should realize that TV negotiations here will never really be beneficial. Even in the height of AMA Pro Racing, the market was infinitesimal to NASCRAP racing, and will always be relegated to non-premier coverage on TV. To reach a niche market, they need solid web-streaming for live and on-demand, that's easily accessible at a modest fee... at least IMO. I'd happily pay for an MMA web coverage package a-la MotoGp's offering, hopefully at a somewhat lesser price since it's a lesser series and presume wouldn't have as much coverage and on-bike cams / overhead, etc.... but still, you get such a better model, don't have to suffer through crap commentary and commercial breaks that miss major passes / events... anyway, a man can dream..

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    MA should realize that TV negotiations here will never really be beneficial. Even in the height of AMA Pro Racing, the market was infinitesimal to NASCRAP racing, and will always be relegated to non-premier coverage on TV. To reach a niche market, they need solid web-streaming for live and on-demand, that's easily accessible at a modest fee... at least IMO. I'd happily pay for an MMA web coverage package a-la MotoGp's offering, hopefully at a somewhat lesser price since it's a lesser series and presume wouldn't have as much coverage and on-bike cams / overhead, etc.... but still, you get such a better model, don't have to suffer through crap commentary and commercial breaks that miss major passes / events... anyway, a man can dream..
    I'm not sure I'd pay for it...only 9 riders in the superbike class?? Between the GP pass, BEIn and various other channels I have tons of moto to watch so I've written off the MA series completely. Which is pretty sad given how good AMA racing was over the last 20+ years. Hopefully they get their shit together and eventually undo the DMG damage.

That's precisely why I'd pay for it.

CCS/LRRS #83

Unfortunately a very tough chicken / egg situation.

Without a TV package, any TV package, most non-industry sponsors don't even answer the phone or return your phone call. There are two ways to get a TV package:

1) Have a property so hot that networks pay you to air it (obviously not the case)
    2) Pay a network for the TV 'time slot' and cover the cost of hiring a production crew to film, produce, package, and send the network the broadcast

For Option 2 you need money. Money comes from sponsors. No sponsors = no money. No money = no TV.

While many of us enjoy 'live streaming' services it has little to no impact with traditional ad agencies (who control big corporations marketing dollars). Coupled to this is the fact the number of 'hardcore roadracing fan' who tunes into live streaming events is TINY, and you once again are faced with a tough propositions.

To put some numbers out there, if you were to pay for it yourself, it costs 'roughly' 1 million dollars to hire a professional TV truck and crew to come out to your events. You then have to buy the TV time from a network. So you are looking at a fair chunk of change. AMA Pro Racing (DMG) built their own in-house film / production crew which in turn filmed all the FansChoice stuff. You can thank Gene Crouch for that, a good guy who put in tons of hours. However, it's not at the level that a serious network would air it, as the FansChoice setup/crew is still a bit rough around the edges. Really solid though considering it was built with very very little budget.

The largest hurdle facing MotoAmerica is that many felt/feel that it would be a Overnight Fix. This would NEVER happen. Fans, sponsors, teams, riders, everyone was very jaded and burnt by DMG. It is going to take time to rebuild that trust and have money come back in. It will not be overnight. MotoAmerica just needs to focus (and has been I've been told) on rebuilding relationships and putting a product on the track each month with a good schedule. Honestly I'm surprised they even pulled the TV package off... at all.... the fact it's tape delayed means they paid a much lower price than having to buy a LIVE TV slot, and it allows the hired production crew to be smaller. (Live events = more camera and production staff)

Gonna take time and only way it will grow is if we, the fans, show up and support the series. Watch the broadcasts, go to races, follow on social media, etc. I can speak from experience, it DOES make a difference.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 05-01-15 at 08:46 PM.