Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

MotoGP 2016

Post MotoGP 2016 - Spoiler Alert (may contain race talk!)

So who's the best rider this year and/or who are you rooting for?

I didn't catch all the 2015 races but admit I was hoping Rossi would take it. I'd love to see Suzuki take a title again though.. don't think they even got a podium last year?

(Does this belong on Off-Topic??)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tekime; 03-21-16 at 10:14 AM.

Re: MotoGP 2016

The next up and coming rider seems to be Vinales. He's doing well in testing but we will see what happens this weekend. Still a VR fan though.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post
    Still a VR fan though.
    All the ladies are.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    All the ladies are.
    And me, too. I'd love to see him take his 10th championship.

Other than that, I hope Ducati has figured some things out, and that the new tires suit them better.
    It's cool to see Suzuki back; hopefully they'll be up to speed pretty quickly.
    Hopefully the Aprilia and KTM entries that keep being rumored will be ready for next year.
    As usual, I wish MotoGP would move away from spec racing and open up the technology to more competition.

I'm riding down to Austin to see the round at COTA in person. I haven't been to that track yet.
    I really like that if you get the "Ducati package", it includes a couple laps on the track.
    Not full-on speed laps, but they usually let you ride at a decent pace.
    My Monster and I have been on Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Laguna Seca, Barber, and Indy so far.
    Adding COTA will be fun.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I think Lorenzo(I'm not a fan) takes it again but I think the racing will be better and closer with satellites on the podium and maybe even pulling out an upset victory this year. It looks like the duc and Suzuki will have very real shot at more than 1 victory each as well.

I can't wait.

Ape and Ktm aren't rumors at all. Aprilia was on track last year they just weren't good and have a new bike this year that will hopefully be more competitive. Ktm is very actively testing for a 2017 entry.

Last edited by motoarch; 03-14-16 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motoarch View Post
    ... Ape and Ktm aren't rumors at all. Aprilia was on track last year they just weren't good and have a new bike this year that will hopefully be more competitive. Ktm is very actively testing for a 2017 entry.
    They are both putting in real efforts, but I still regard anything in MotoGP as a rumor until it actually happens. I do not underestimate the ability of MotoGP management to totally and randomly screw everything up at any given moment.

PhilB

Edit: OK, Aprilia is actually on the grid, so they get upgraded from rumor status.
    It's cool to see them back; hopefully they'll be up to speed pretty quickly, too.

Last edited by PhilB; 03-14-16 at 11:55 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

The next up and coming rider seems to be Vinales. He's doing well in testing but we will see what happens this weekend. Still a VR fan though.
    Yeah can't wait to see how he rides that zuki this year

Mainly I love Rossi because he's basically my age and still kicking ass

Seems like Marquez would be dominating if he could keep it on two wheels

I have become a big Iannone fan. I like his aggressiveness.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Hopefully Vinales and Espargaro get Suzuki going this yr. Good to see Suzuki back. See what Tito Rabat can do in MotoGP. No Americans in MotoGP is disapointing.

Yep. I'm not a big fan of nationalism as a concept, but it is fun to root for your countrymen in a race or something.
    One of my favorite race memories is the 2005 MotoGP at Laguna Seca.
    It was the first U.S. Gran Prix race in ten years, and it finished with two Americans on the podium.
    Nicky Hayden pole position and won, Colin Edwards second place and fastest lap, Rossi third (!!).

My one complaint about the Laguna Seca GP races was that the support races were all AMA; none of the smaller GP classes.
    I had always assumed that was an expense and logistics thing, bringing all of that to CA from Europe.
    But no, I just found out that it was because of CA smog laws that ban all 2-strokes over 50cc from the state.
    As if a race weekend is going to make a difference in the whole state's air quality.
    Fuckers.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 03-15-16 at 04:09 PM.

I think he'll do well too.

Can't wait for Sunday 1pm! BeIN Sports and MotoGP.com

Moto gp website shows a 2pm start time. Is 1pm bein coverage start and 2pm race start?

BeIN says 1pm but 2 hours long. They must be going to show pre-race stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    And me, too. I'd love to see him take his 10th championship.

Other than that, I hope Ducati has figured some things out, and that the new tires suit them better.
    It's cool to see Suzuki back; hopefully they'll be up to speed pretty quickly.
    Hopefully the Aprilia and KTM entries that keep being rumored will be ready for next year.
    As usual, I wish MotoGP would move away from spec racing and open up the technology to more competition.

I'm riding down to Austin to see the round at COTA in person. I haven't been to that track yet.
    I really like that if you get the "Ducati package", it includes a couple laps on the track.
    Not full-on speed laps, but they usually let you ride at a decent pace.
    My Monster and I have been on Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Laguna Seca, Barber, and Indy so far.
    Adding COTA will be fun.

PhilB
    The facility is amazingly beautiful. Great viewing areas, clean, pretty easy to get to. Parking was miserable, but will probably be a nonissue on your bike. Vendor area was pretty sad, and pricing for food and drink was absurd. Overall the track is much more exciting than IndyGP, but Indy knows how to put on an event. COTA did not offer a mid-level package like Indys corner 9 club when we went, maybe that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    The facility is amazingly beautiful. Great viewing areas, clean, pretty easy to get to. Parking was miserable, but will probably be a nonissue on your bike. Vendor area was pretty sad, and pricing for food and drink was absurd. Overall the track is much more exciting than IndyGP, but Indy knows how to put on an event. COTA did not offer a mid-level package like Indys corner 9 club when we went, maybe that has changed.
    I got the Ducati package, so my parking is taken care of -- on Ducati Island all weekend. Good viewing is the important thing to me; there's not much point in actually going if you can't see much of anything. That's why I'll never go to a race at Indy again; the amenities were great, but the viewing sucked. Conversely, my favorite track is Laguna Seca. Sure, you're sitting on the ground in a big dirt bowl, and the amenities are poor, but you can sit there and see 2/3 of the whole track, and really watch the race happen. Barber was in between the two, and I expect COTA will be as well.

PhilB

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I got the Ducati package, so my parking is taken care of -- on Ducati Island all weekend. Good viewing is the important thing to me; there's not much point in actually going if you can't see much of anything. That's why I'll never go to a race at Indy again; the amenities were great, but the viewing sucked. Conversely, my favorite track is Laguna Seca. Sure, you're sitting on the ground in a big dirt bowl, and the amenities are poor, but you can sit there and see 2/3 of the whole track, and really watch the race happen. Barber was in between the two, and I expect COTA will be as well.

PhilB
    Indy is so flat it makes viewing tough. We had a reserved stand area that we could see turns 5-9 and down a short straight, and a jumbotron for other areas. Not bad but not great. At COTA we were facing down the back straight with a series of turns right in front of us, awesome. The run up the hill to turn 1 is really cool too. We spent quite a bit of time walking around the track watching from different areas. There is a really nice amphitheater where they had bands play too. I regret not going to Laguna when GP was there, I will go if they ever bring it back!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Indy is so flat it makes viewing tough. We had a reserved stand area that we could see turns 5-9 and down a short straight, and a jumbotron for other areas. Not bad but not great. At COTA we were facing down the back straight with a series of turns right in front of us, awesome. The run up the hill to turn 1 is really cool too. We spent quite a bit of time walking around the track watching from different areas. There is a really nice amphitheater where they had bands play too. I regret not going to Laguna when GP was there, I will go if they ever bring it back!
    Thanks for the tips.

They do still run WSB at Laguna Seca. I'd suggest going to that if you get the opportunity. The best way to attend a race weekend there is motorcycle camping. If you camp on/with your bike, the bike camping area is actually inside the track near turn 6. If you position your tent properly, you can see turn 6 and/or 7 from your sleeping bag, and first practice is your alarm clock.

PhilB

my comcast has bien in the non-hd format. any chance to see motogp online in hd?

Isn't Qatar a saturday race?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Isn't Qatar a saturday race?
    Qatar is a night race. But I thought the only Saturday race was Assen.

PhilB

This is listed in Eastern Time. Qatar is 7 hours ahead of us.

Commercial Bank Grand Prix of Qatar/17 - 20 Mar
    Thursday 17
    Photo Shoot - 07:45AM
    Moto3 - Free Practice 1 11:00AM
    Moto2 - FP1 11:55AM
    MotoGP-FP1 12:55PM
    Moto3 - FP2 1:55PM
    Moto2 - FP2 2:50PM

Friday 18
    MotoGP- FP2 11:00AM
    Moto3 - FP3 12:00PM
    Moto2 - FP3 12:55PM
    MotoGP- FP3 1:55PM

Saturday 19
    Michelin Press Conf. 10:00AM
    Moto3 - Qualifying Practice 11:00AM
    Moto2 - QP 11:55AM
    MotoGP- FP4 12:55PM
    MotoGP- Qualifying 1 1:35PM
    MotoGP- Q2 2:00PM
    Press Conference- 3:15PM

Sunday 20
    Moto3 - Warm UP 08:50AM
    Moto2 - WUP 09:25AM
    MotoGP- WUP 10:00AM
    Moto3 - RACE 11:00AM
    Moto2 - RACE 12:20PM
    MotoGP- RACE 2:00PM

Last edited by carsick; 03-16-16 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarified time
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Ah, they start practice early because they can't get 2 per night in.

Paul_E_D

BeIN has an app but you have to log in via your provider

Hello, does anyone know if bein has an HD channel on Comcast? I've never found one. GP sucks in non HD. Last season Fox sports one had it on Comcast in HD but why keep a good thing going?

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast