Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

MotoGP 2019 (spoilers)

Re: MotoGP 2019 (spoilers)

Pretty good racing in all classes today. Last lap craziness in Motogp. Too bad for Maverick but its cool to see Miller so pumped up. In one of the practice session the commentators mentioned maybe Rossi has stuck around just a bit too long. I think he had a pretty good race. Outstanding start. I think it's time for Lorenzo to go. He is no where.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James

This season has been about it no longer being good enough for MM to win, now he wants to give everyone PTSD as well.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

The battle for what ended up being 3rd was great, but they cut away from it on the final lap! Marc is a heartbreaker for sure.

Paul_E_D

Fuck MM for being so damn good. It would be nice to see some other men on the top step now and then.
    Sadly I fell asleep with about 8 to go last night. Have to back up and watch the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Fuck MM for being so damn good. It would be nice to see some other men on the top step now and then.
    Sadly I fell asleep with about 8 to go last night. Have to back up and watch the ending.
    Being fairly new to MotoGP, did everyone say the same about Rossi when he was winning all the time? And I am a Rossi fan too.

MM is just toying with everyone out there.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post
    Being fairly new to MotoGP, did everyone say the same about Rossi when he was winning all the time? And I am a Rossi fan too.

It’s almost always annoying when someone dominates a series for too long and won’t move up (mladin, rea, etc). The problem with gp is there’s nowhere to go, so it depends if the dominating rider is likable. Rossi is the most likable rider in gp history. MM is extremely easy to dislike, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    It’s almost always annoying when someone dominates a series for too long and won’t move up (mladin, rea, etc). The problem with gp is there’s nowhere to go, so it depends if the dominating rider is likable. Rossi is the most likable rider in gp history. MM is extremely easy to dislike, for me anyway.
    I get that people dislike Marquez, but apart from winning all the time, I don't see what about him is dislikable!

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I get that people dislike Marquez, but apart from winning all the time, I don't see what about him is dislikable!
    I feel a lot of it is how he would race people a a couple of years ago. Rossi fans still blame him for costing Rossi his last great shot at a championship. Maybe he did. There were certainly foolish moves done by him.

I think what people forget is Rossi did stupid shit too when he came up. It was a different era though. He was just a punk kid that was great at riding motorcycles. Marquez on the other hand was also a punk kid that is great at riding motorcycles but he has also changed the way people ride them unlike what anyone else has recently done. He isn't just winning but he is destroying motor cycle racing. I love it. For the most part moto gp was getting boring. When Lorenzo was winning once he got to the front ou were best served taking a nap. So boring to watch. At least with Marc that bike is still dancing even is he is a mile ahead. I just hope other riders can challenge him on a regular basis so we have exciting battles up front.

James

Anyway, great to see Miller on the podium. And how about those Ape’s!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tas View Post

Let’s not forget Rossi jumped from the best team to the absolute worst for really no good reason. But I will say Rossi at its best he still wasn’t MM. and I’m a Rossi fan boy.

Unrealistic plot twist: imagine if it turns out MM is cheating and he gets stripped of all his championships. LOL

Cheating? I would assume ALL the teams are bending the rules in whatever ways they can dream up. I don't even really think the concept of cheating should apply to this level of motorsport. Develop whatever you can to be fastest. You can if you can.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I don't even really think the concept of cheating should apply to this level of motorsport. Develop whatever you can to be fastest. You can if you can.
    I agree. I think it would be swell to lift the engine limits. If a team makes a bad choice at the beginning of the year they are stuck with it. They can't get busy and fix it.. I know they are trying to control cost and keep the haves a little closer to the havenots but... It is GP racing after all.

Ask Lance Armstrong about cheating at the highest level. He just hid it better until.

Millers assessment of how Zarco did was outstanding.

James

I have mixed emotions about MM.

I dunno. His talent is impossible to deny. Also impossible to deny his impact on the sport. This kind of sea change is exceedingly rare at the highest level of any sport and I feel lucky that I get to see it happen in one that I care about. MM is a fighter for sure, and I like that. His style is just not very likable.

Maybe it's this: I think if MM had to race his clone they would probably crash each other out of every single race. He simultaneously pushes through when the door is already closing/closed and also slams the door when there's already someone there. It's kind of hypocritical in a way. I wouldn't call it cheating. I'm not sure I'd even call it dirty per se... Just unlikable.

Effective, though!

So lets look at his pass on Cal last weekend. He fit it in where he had no business trying to, Cal looked pissed about it when it happened. That said, if he didn't do it then, MV would have checked out. Instead we got to see ~20 laps of MM stalking MV and literally giving him PTSD. It was fucking awesome, and ended in spectacular fashion. Post-race Cal wasn't pissed about the pass, he said he didn't have the pace Marc had and was happy with his finish. Cheeky move? 100%. Justified? Well, he won the race.

My biggest thing with MM are the corny celebrations (8 ball was terrible,) so I guess that's a pretty small thing. I guess you run out of original content after a while.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 10-29-19 at 08:19 AM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I don't understand the un-likable part. All great racers make the difference at times by forcing the issue. Rossi, Schwantz, Rainey, Biaggi etc. They all did it. Some were loved for it, others hated for it. Usually, the hate part fades after the rider retires and people can see the scope of the career without the emotions. Marc will be appreciated by all for his accomplishments, including his aggressive style and his off track demeanor. He never whines about the bike, or other riders. That is rare.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I don't understand the un-likable part. All great racers make the difference at times by forcing the issue. Rossi, Schwantz, Rainey, Biaggi etc. They all did it.
    Yeah, I get that 100%. Maybe I'm just getting older and saltier. I admit that I love that Rossi pass through the Laguna corkscrew dirt. Would I feel the same way if it were MM passing Rossi in the same way?

Kind of hard to deny that the dislike exists, and not just in the fans. It's in the paddock too, isn't it? It's hard to defend against getting torpedoed from behind. If that becomes an acceptable norm I'm not sure that's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 10-29-19 at 09:24 AM.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I admit that I love that Rossi pass through the Laguna corkscrew dirt. Would I feel the same way if it were MM passing Rossi in the same way?
    Didn't it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Didn't it happen?

Ah right!

It did. And that super cheeky move was super under appreciated!

Paul_E_D

Have to hand it to MM. That WAS hilarious.

Not trying to hate on the guy. Credit is most certainly due.

I'm just glad I don't have to be in front of him on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post

Kind of hard to deny that the dislike exists, and not just in the fans. It's in the paddock too, isn't it? .
    Is he disliked in the paddock for overly aggressive riding or for winning too much?

Quote Originally Posted by jim v View Post
    Is he disliked in the paddock for overly aggressive riding AND for winning too much?
    Yes.

I don't dislike Marc. I dislike boring races. Make tires worse again.

Personality wise, he is edgy. Racing wise, he is cutthroat. Not a lot to dislike. If he had 10% less talent we would probably all be cheering for him. So I'll go with he is disliked because he is too good.

I started motoGP when Rossi was on Ducati. I would like to think that I wouldn't like him as much in his dominant fashion. That said, all the stats say that Rossi was never nearly as dominant as Marc. I think the first race he led every single lap happened 2 years ago. He just isn't a boring racer. 9/10 times he scrapped for the win. Personalities aside, his racing appears to have just been more exciting than Marc's.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 10-30-19 at 11:53 AM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.