Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

NESR racing report

NESR racing report

Are we going to get a report on the weekends racing?? Maybe some pics??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '04 600RR

NESR racing report

Yip. I'll be getting something together these next few days. I've still got some pix being sent, and once I get 'em all I'll sift thru 'em and get a write up together. We'll also post it on the 'Rides/Events' page, along with a write up on the ride we did a coupla weekends ago....

I *WILL* give a little hint tho: Degsy, aboard the NESR CBR F4 took a 2nd and a 3rd place yesterday in two rain soaked and windswept events!!! Needless to say, he LOVES the new race bike...

Full report w/ details and pix to come. Stay tuned...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Banned

NESR racing report

Well, the first race weekend for NESR racing was last weekend. Bike #105 was prepped on Thursday night with the much appreciated help of Chip, Jen, Jay and Jim. This preparation work included safety wiring, spray painting, decal’ing, cleaning, lubing and making an overflow catch can from a Pepsi bottle. After clearing up and loading the bike onto the ramp and loading all the equipment into my truck, I managed to get out of the workshop at about 1:30AM Friday morning.

Friday afternoon at about 3PM I was on my way to Loudon to set up for the weekend. My intention was to get to the track for Saturday practice at 7am the next morning, so I needed to be set up and ready to go by Friday night. Needless to say things didn’t work out like that, they never do. I arrived at the track at about 6PM Friday night and proceeded to pay my entry fees and register for the weekend’s racing. I decided to race in Middleweight Superbike, Middleweight Supersport (both 8 lap sprints for 600cc 4 cyl machines and 750 twins) and GTU (30 minute endurance race for 600cc 4 cyl machines and 750 twins). I also decided to race “above class” in the heavyweight Superbike and Heavyweight Supersport classes against the Duc 996’s and Gixxer 750’s, just for fun to see if I could compete on my CBR600. Total cost of Race entries- $300.

It was 6:30 Friday evening by the time I got to the area I was to pit and started setting up. Jay came over to the track and was a great help in getting everything sorted out so that I had the pit set up. I had some crappy worn out racing tires on the CBR, so I brought my spare wheels down to the Metzeler guys and bought a set of Rennsport race tires (supersoft front and soft compound rear) - $340 including fitting and balancing.

After setting up the pit and getting the tires, I was informed by Jay that it looked like it would SNOW for Sunday morning! I was to race in the GTU endurance race and the Heavyweight Superbike race with the possibility of snow and the certainty of rain! I had no rain gear and no “wets” (DOT rain race tires). About that time a knight in shining armor appeared (actually called on my cellphone). It was Jeff, who informed me that he would be bringing a brand new set of race wets and a rain suit for me to use on Sunday…sweet! I went to Jay and Cheryl’s house and relaxed with a beer or two and great company.

Saturday morning, April 27th. Races scheduled – Heavyweight Supersport (race 2), Middleweight Supersport (race 5) and Middleweight Superbike (race 11)

As always, I arrived late and missed first practice as Jay and I were fitting the spare wheels which had the new tires on to the bike. Soon enough we had the wheels fitted and the bike warmed up and tires warmed up and I went down to the inspection area for my inspection sticker, which went without a hitch. I am sure Jay was nervous as I rode back to our pit as I could see him standing there watching for a signal. I gave him the thumbs up to say that the bike was certified by the inspectors and we were all set for my first practice. I suited up in leathers and a sweater (it was still pretty cold) and went out for a practice session. I was in the blue practice group which means I should be running at 1:25:00 times, but that was my best time last year and I was now on a new untested bike and there was no way I could get those kind of times. Anyway, I went out and did 3 laps before coming back in to report to Jay that there was something rubbing on the bike somewhere and the front brakes were total crap. By that time, we had a nice little gathering at the pit area. Jeff had shown up, as had TLRman and Bob (don’t know his screen name), also Snowboarder and Todd, and later Jon Gold. We found that the rubbing was coming from the chain slightly touching the bodywork left lower – no problem- but the brakes were an issue. We loosened the front wheel and retightened everything and it seemed to turn much more freely now, so we decided it should be good to go. I didn’t have time to go out for more practice, but my times were in the 1:30 range so I knew that I could race and not get completely shown up on the track.

Race 2 was my first race, Heavyweight Supersport. The field was dotted with Gixxer 600’s and 750’s, R6’s and the occasional TLR and Aprilia Mille and Ninja 750 (with Kerker pipe). I was gridded row 5, position d which means on the right side of the grid (my favorite) about 20th on the grid. I got a fairly good start, making up about 5 places by turn one and then riding fairly steady for the whole race with a couple of people coming by me. I ended the race in 17th place out of 47 entries, with a best lap of 1:31.00 Yeuch, BAD lap times, I could do much better. I was fairly happy as it was my first race with the new bike and I was the highest placed Honda at the finish line. I quickly found out that the gixxer 600’s have a good advantage on this track, but I could easily get my times down by 3 seconds and that would help.

Next race, race 5, Middleweight Supersport (we had kept the tires warm with warmers for the short space of time between race 3 and 5 to keep them within 1 heat cycle). Up against 600’s this time, with no 750’s or v-twin 1000’s. I gridded on row 4, but in position b (left hand side of track, cramped in). My start was not as good as in the last race, but I was still in the top 25 by turn 2, when I took a couple of places back as people went in wide and I darted up the inside. This was another uneventful race, and once again I was passed by a couple of guys over the 8 laps, but mostly held my ground, finishing 22nd out of 48 entries, with only two CBR600’s ahead of me. The most encouraging thing is that I managed to bring my lap times down 3 seconds from the first race, so overall I was happy. I was now doing the same lap times as I was last year on the 750. The brakes are pulsing very badly on the F4 though, and I resolve to buy new rotors before next race weekend.

Last race of the day, race 11. Middleweight superbike. Again, gridded on the left, GRRRRRRRRR! Cramped in and slowed down off the start by slower riders, I made up some places in the first lap, but plenty of guys were racing with slicks in this race (a good advantage) and so yet again I had a mostly lonely race, but did get passed by one or two guys. Finished 17th (again) out of a field of 34 (two places off the point for coming 15th). More encouragement in the form of me taking another half second off my lap times.

That was it for the Saturday races. I went home to Chez Jay and rested with some friends from England and my Fiancee, Beth who had just picked them up from the airport and driven them up to new Hampshire. I planned to start late on Sunday, as I was NOT going to practice in the snow! I would assess the situation on Sunday morning and if it was just raining, I would race.

Got to the track at 10am Sunday. Cold, wet, miserable. The EZ-Up was damaged beyond repair due to the wind and the fact that it was already weakened after some damage trying to fold it up once before. The bike ws on it’s stands in the rain and looked a sorry site. I wrenched in the rain to get the wheels off and put on the rain tires. Jay showed up and we eventually got the EZ-UP so that it could function as a kind of shelter, finished the safety wiring and warmed up the bike and tires ready for my first race, GTU endurance.

I was getting ready to put my leathers on and Jeff tuned up in the nick of time with a rain suit for me. I put it on over my leathers and headed out to the pre-grid. The field of some 50 riders had been reduced to 7 because of the weather (many people packed up and went home). This was a great opportunity to get some valuable championship points. I gridded 5th on the grid and got a fabulous start, leading into turn 1 and through 1a and 2. A fellow buy the name of Timothy Burge on an R6 came past me entering turn 3 and I didn’t see him again for the rest of the race (he seems to be my nemesis this season as he passed me 3 times in my races, once REALLY close into turn 1, but I am not blaming him, it was just a bit close, not intentional). After about 5 laps, Scott Lian (happy kid on SRNE) on the Ducati 748 came past me. I had expected the Duc’s to be much faster in the wet than the 4 cylinder machines, and he came past me fast and went after the first placed man. I was fairly comfortable in 3rd place, and half expecting someone to crash ahead of me and gift me another place, when on the last lap, Scott did exactly that coming down the hill into turn 10 he hit the gas a bit too hard and a bit too early and slid into the tires. Second place for me, thirteen championship points and a trophy. I saw Scott on his crashed 748 on my way back to pit and he was desperately disappointed, but his bike was repairable. He had learned that to finish first, you first must finish…a valuable lesson he took advantage of later in the day.

Last race of the weekend for me. Hevyweight Superbike. This race was scheduled for 50 entries, but due to weather there were only 12 riders at pit-out. Again, the old foe Tim Burge won, but I got 4th and 9 championship points. A couple of crashers and a nice steady race for me ensured a successful weekend with a new bike tested, a few champ points, 2 trophies and my lap times on par with last year. Plenty of encouraging news, but also plenty of room for improvement.

Plans are underway to get the bike sprayed white and NESR logo’s are on their way. I must get my application in early for the next race weekend (May 18th-19th) so that I get better grid positions, which will help my results. I also need to buy a new EZ-UP for the next race weekend. I am going to get a bigger one so that I can get more people and more room to work under it.

I want to thank everyone who showed up to support the NESR racing effort, and those who helped get the bike ready. Without you guys it would never happen. It would be great to get many more up there for the next race weekend as it is really a great day/weekend out and the support really helps to spur me on. Josh has some pictures and I am hoping he will post them here for me.

That’s it for now for this mega long race report. Catch you next month.
    Here are links to the results of the races.

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf/2002/april_27_28/Sat5.PDF

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf/2002/april_27_28/Sat2.PDF

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf/2002/april_27_28/Sat11.PDF

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf/2002/april_27_28/Sun5.PDF

http://www.lrrsracing.com/images/pdf/2002/april_27_28/Sun3.PDF

Degsy

[Edited on 5/1/02 by Degsy]

NESR racing report

Awesome report, Degsy!!! Nice job!!!

NESR racing report

great pix, too.

-t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

NESR racing report

Okay gang. We've really gotta get more peeps up there for the next race weekend, which is May 18th & 19th. Degsy agreed to put his effort into the 'NESR Racing Program', but we'd like to see more support from members. We've pretty much got the wrenching part covered between Jeff & I, but there's still a lot of running around that we could use help with. Plus, we could also use a hand with timing laps and getting pix and video footage. Anything that any one could help with in those catagories would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially those that show up just to lend some moral support. I can promise ya that it won't go unnoticed, and Degsy would appreciate it more than you would probably know. Don't be shy, c'mon up! And so long as you don't get run over by Degs, you're not in the way!

We'd REALLY like to see more of ya show for future races. Keep in mind that Degsy's really steppin' up to the plate with this by plastering his race bike with NESR decals and the such. He's doing this for all of us here, not just JC & I. So whaddya say?

Banned

NESR racing report

OK folks. I have ordered the new super-duper 10X20 ez-up for the NESR pit. It will be arriving at Chez Stonner this week hopefully.I will be racing on saturday and sunday this weekend. Setting up friday night. Hope to see as many of you as possible up there.

NESR racing report

Wow! A 'super-duper' one??? You really ARE the man, huh?

I'd bet a drummer and a coupla stacks of amps would fit nicely under said EZ-UP during Stonnerstock...